User pages 'jumping' / changing when moving knobs to adjust sound parameters

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Leon Tricker, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leon Tricker

Leon Tricker Forum Member

Hi

Just getting to grips with Kore and I am having a problem with the hardware. Quite frequently I will be editing a parameter with the knobs and the user page switches to a different page. Obviously this is annoying as I am then editing the wrong parameter!

Also, the display on the hardware flicks between showing the parameter value and a 'user page' message.

Its almost as if something is interfering with the controller. I have adjusted the knob sensitivity but no luck.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Leon

2. Leon Tricker

Here is a post I put on another forum which describes the problem in a bit more depth (not sure I explained the problem well enough before!):

Hi all

I have just bought Native Instruments Kore 2. It's software with a dedicated USB powered controller. I am running the controller from my laptop, with the laptop plugged into the mains.

The knobs on the controller are touch sensitive and obviously you use them to adjust parameters in the software. You can have 'pages' of assignments for the knobs, and can use the controller to step through these pages.

The controller has a screen that updates to reflect the parameters you are currently controlling as you step through the pages. When you adjust a control the value is displayed on the screen.

Here's the problem! :)

When adjusting the knobs, the screen doesn't consistantly display the parameter adjustments: it kind of flicks between the parameter updating and a message about the user page you are on. This in itself is irritating but not a huge problem (you can always look at the laptop screen or, you know, just use your ears to judge the changes in value! ;))

The big problem is that fairly frequently, when touching the knobs, the 'page' of assignments you are on suddenly changes. This means you are suddenly adjusting a parameter you didn't want to change. This is very frustrating.

I have tried plugging the controller into a different USB port on the laptop but this makes no difference. I have adjusted the touch sensitivity level of the knobs and this helped made a small difference but has not cured the problem completely.

Now... when I unplug the laptop from the mains and run it on battery power, the problem pretty much disappears. There are occasional glitches, but it's much more stable. The issue is that my laptop battery life is about 30-45 minutes with the controller plugged in, so I need to plug it into the mains.

I am wondering whether, therefore, this is a ground loop or electrical interference problem? And if so, how would I solve the problem?

Hope I've described this problem well enough! And I hope you can assist. :)

Cheers

Leon

3. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

That definitely sounds like an interference issue to me- maybe little power spikes or "noise" in the AC current coming into your computer. Have you tried plugging everything into another circuit?

ew

4. Leon Tricker

ew: glad to see you survived the KVR thread today ;)

I posted on the Sound on Sound forum and a couple of the staff writers posted replies. Basically, they agree with you that this sounds like an interference problem, and not just related to Kore. Any MIDI controller with touch sensitive controls being used on a laptop can be affected. Indeed, a similar problem is cited in the SOS review of the Frontier Design Alphatrack.

My post and the replies are here: http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=767049&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1#Post767049

Basically, if you come across this problem, ensure there is a electrically grounded piece of equipment in your signal chain. The suggestion from the SOS staff was to plug my audio interface outputs into a small mixer.

So, it should be a simple solution. Will let you know if this works!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.