1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

using it as ableton controller

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by juampi1969, Apr 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juampi1969

juampi1969 New Member

Hello to everyone

I tried to load a template in ableton ( so the 8 channel ableton configuration).
    After installing the new release, i found the ableton 7 or 8 template in the Maschine controller configurator.

Then I find Maschine as a Controller inside Ableton.

The question is, do I have to build an 8 channel device or is there a template build for Maschine controller in ableton 7?

anyone can help

I'm very confused...

Thanx for your cooperation

JP / Italy

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

it should work with any of your Ableton Live Songs. if you have a song that uses 4 MIDI and 3 Audio Channels (as an example), the Ableton Template should work and control the 7 Channels.

sowari

3. juampi1969

juampi1969 New Member

Thanks Sowari

So, let's start saying that I've installed everything on the cd provided with the box.

Then nothing about ableton appeared in the controller configurator, so i've installed the new release and the ableton template i found on the NI site.

I punt everything (the whole template and the files "Maschine" and Maschine Controller) into the ableton controller folder (i use ableton 7.02)

I found the Machine controller in the ableton configurator options as i run ableton live 7, the controller illuminates itself but nothing happens in ableton (so i suppose I have to choose one by one the pads and knobs and use the midi learn function?.. no template for me)

Do you have any suggestion?

Can you pls explain how can i do to make this thing work propperly? (i'm a sort of newbie... )

Do you have any other template to insert inside the ableton folder?

I saw 100 times the video, but i don't find anything like that inside the controller folder, and (perhaps nothing changes) but in the video i see a Mac, and i work with a portable pc, a Toshiba... (sorry , perhaps is the same and i'm telling you obvious things)

H E L P
    H E L P
    H E L P

T H A N K S in advance, and sorry again

JP / Italy
    ---
    Other thing

I took the "ableton live.nmc" from the web site.

But ... i read

"Important notes:

You find all documentation regarding the MASCHINE templates in the "Documentation" subfolder inside the "CONTROLLER EDITOR" application folder - e.g. Macintosh HD \ Applications \ CONTROLLER EDITOR (on Mac) respectively C: \ Program Files \ Native Instruments \ CONTROLLER EDITOR (on PC). You can also access this documentation by opening the CONTROLLER EDITOR and clicking "Help" / "Open Template Documentation".

I can't find the template inside the C: \ Program Files \ Native Instruments \ CONTROLLER EDITOR ..

I suppose fixing this thing i'll get the whole thing working.

JP

4. sowari

have you updated Maschine to version 1.02?

anyway, i am on a Mac, so i can't really help in terms of where you files should be.

Re: ableton live.nmc, have you loaded this into your Controller Editor Application?

Re: C: \ Program Files \ Native Instruments \ CONTROLLER EDITOR, this is where you Controller Editor Application is, along with the Template Support Files. these files are not Templates, but are the support files. see pic.

below is from the manual:

Installation
    In order to use the MASCHINE Controller for controlling Ableton Live, you need to copy a folder from the “Template Support Files” folder into the application folder of Ableton Live.

If you are using Ableton Live 7, copy the folder
    /Ableton Live 7/Maschine Controller
    to the Ableton Live application folder.

Windows
    The target folder is located inside the Ableton Live installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\Ableton\).
    Copy “Maschine” to: \Resources\MIDI Remote Scripts

Additional requirements
    Activate MIDI Script in Ableton Live:
    1. From Live’s Options menu, select the “Preferences” entry.
    2. In the Preferences dialog, click the “MIDI Sync” tab to access the MIDI controller
    settings.
    3. From the “Control Surface” menu, select the “Maschine Controller” entry.
    4. From the Input menu, select the “Maschine Controller” entry.
    5. From the Output menu, select the “Maschine Controller” entry.

sowari

Attached Files:

5. digilog_

digilog_ New Member

Feature Request - for Controller Template for Live 8!

It would be great to show the controllable area directly in live, like it is in live 8 with the apc-40. So you don't get confused where you are.
    this is the only feature I'm missing in maschine's live 8 template.

6. juampi1969

juampi1969 New Member

thank you Sowari

According to your attachment, i didn't find any template ableton 7 inside that forlder...

I got the "ableton live nmc." extension and nothing more.

I'll check wich kind of version i got, and let you know.

Tnx in advance

JP / Italy

7. juampi1969

juampi1969 New Member

oh no,

I don't seem to have any folder with the template support files.
    I got the ableton template, but if i copy this file to the controller folder, ableton 7.02 recognize the device but anything else.

I saw the video and seems to be everything automated.

In that feature i see 8 channels and everything seems to be automated.

Or perhaps do I have to create an 8 matrix channel device in ableton and then automate everything?

I'm confused..

Need help

sorry if i insist

Jp
    ---
    Perhaps i have to reinstall everythinf from the new version 1.02...

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

The template support files and the controller template are in different locations.

The templates are in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Controller Editor\Templates

The template support files are in:

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Controller Editor\Template Support Files\*your version Live*

ew

9. juampi1969

juampi1969 New Member

It seems i don't have nothing about Native Instruments in the common files folder...

I don't have no template support files with my live version in the controller editor file.

That's the problem.

I supposed the new version 1.02 will install this.

Where can i find this missing files?

Jp
    ---
    I've re installed everything, now i found the

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Controller Editor\Template Support Files\*your version Live*

But i still don't have a

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Controller Editor\Templates

Do you think i can create that folder mannually putting inside the "ableton live ncm" file?

will that be correct?

Thanks

JP
    ---
    I've created everything, folders and everything

Ableton recognizes the midi device, but he dont recgnize automatically the midi functions, so i have to use the midi learn functions.

I have to create an 8 channel device and press in ableton the midi key and move every knob and pad?

Is it possible to have an ableton device like shown in the NI video?
    ---
    I DID IT!

Installed and re installed.

My pc didn't copy the whole thing.

Now is fixed-

Thanks a lot for your precious help

Jp

10. angram

angram New Member

maschine using it as ableton controller

hi,
    question 1:please,could you post the same for mac folders, i can´t find `templates support´ in mac-i´m using live 7.0.14, just dropped the ableton.ncm on controller editor..ok it recognizes (append) but when i open live maschine doesn´t appear on control surface, only input-output
    question 2: do i have to plug midi cables? or i can control ableton just with maschine usb connected

thanks

11. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Welcome =)

1) I'm not sure where they are on a Mac; I'm sure someone else will chime in here.
    2) USB's all you need.

ew

12. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

Here i am to the rescue ;)

The template support files can be found within the controller editof folder, which is installed within the app directory. If one cant find it - the easiest solution is to use spotlight on a mac :cool:

Cheers

13. angram

angram New Member

controlling ableton

i was just dropping (copy/paste) folders, and it didn't work: found the solution reading carefully the template manual, yes they provided one:

Mac OS X
    The target folder is located inside the Ableton Live application bundle. Right click on the
    “Live.app” file and choose “Show Package Contents”. Copy “/Ableton Live/Maschine”
    folder to: Contents/App-Resources/MIDI Remote Scripts

but i must confess that i'm a little disappointed wih this product, for every step i spend hours to discover how it works, sometimes i use only kits to have fun...i'm trying to make a remix with the main samples from an original, using my loop banks...but they don' t sync, i have sliced, quantize etc but even though it' s extremely hardworking....so i'm gonna use ableton to stretch them and put them on a perfect beatmatch and other negative point such as:
    zoom quality: after slicing, they are too tiny and not precise

Sometimes i ask myself why there are so many queries (doubts,) on this forum about maschine...hope you'll keep working on improving

whow : i paid 1000us for this maschine:confused:

14. sowari

for your remix, are you drastically changing the tempo?

also, you can zoom in very close to to see start and end points (of each slice) after slicing.

sowari

15. angram

angram New Member

changing the tempo

hi sowari,

not too drastically, from 120 to 130bpm, or even with same tempo it goes a bit away of a right loop.

is it has to do with lenghth, eg. a bass loop with 1-32 will work accordingly with a drum loop 1-16/1-8 ?

about zoom in slice mode: as i work with touchpad i have this difficulty, and i'm used with magnifiers and got sad not being able to look precisely, but it's ok

thanx

16. sowari

are you talking about a bass loop of up to 32 bars? i don't understand 1-32 or 1-16 or 1-8?

i would suggest you should be using loops of 1 or 2 bars, maximum of 4 bars in Maschine.... if you are remixing.

also have you tried using the Transient option?

sowari

17. Muck

Muck NI Product Owner

is there already a template to controll ableton live 6?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.