1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Using Maschine's Library Samples in Ableton

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by wickedged, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedged

wickedged NI Product Owner

Hello,

Is it possible to use Maschine's library samples in Ableton? I know this sounds like a strange thing to ask for, but I love using Maschine as a controller for Ableton's Drum Racks, and the Maschine library is outstanding in its own right.

If I can do this, where would I locate the Maschine soundbank library? I am using a Mac by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Ged
    ---
    Just found it - don't worry. :D

2. caseysherrell

caseysherrell NI Product Owner

Do you really thin that NI is going to allow such information on their forum? I mean if they did, then people could get the Maschine Sample Library and anyone could use it with a MIDI controller! If you have Maschine, you could record each sample and then import those samples to Ableton Live, but I seriously doubt that NI is going to show anyone how to convert their sound files?

Plus, if you did that, why would you want or need Maschine?

ONE

3. wickedged

When you buy Maschine, you buy the right to use it's samples in your music. Whether you use the samples in the Maschine software or in another DAW is irrelevant, so long as you don't distribute the samples to others for their own use.

I would like to use the samples in Ableton's Drum Racks as this allows me much greater control over each drum sound's interaction with other elements. For example, if I want the bass drum to act as a sidechain compressor, by having the sample playing directly into a Drum Rack means I can isolate it much more efficiently than if I am running it through Machine. I still use the Maschine plugin extensively - just not necessarily for the drum parts (although this will change significantly with the 1.1 update).

4. rocadaburn

rocadaburn Forum Member

There is absolutely no problem in using the samples within live / drum rack.
    I have created a symlink to the maschine library path (as seen in the Maschine preferences) in my Live Library for easy browsing. You have access to the wav files of maschine by using the live browser.
    Of course live can`t work with the tags, but the folders are structured as kick, snare, cymbal etc.

just use the live browser to navigate to the path of the maschine library, or make a link in your local filesystem....

Have fun

edit: I use OSX - depending on the filesystem capabilities, especially in a windows environment, it could be necessary to copy the files to the live lib instead of linking the folder, just try what works better.
    If you want to make drum rack presets (kits) with maschine sounds, I think copying the sounds works better, because live might get problems following the symlink when loading the drum rack w/ preset...

5. wickedged

Cheers - you have really helped me with this. I never thought to do a shortcut link to the Maschine sample folder. It works a treat! And it doesn't impact when saving a Drum Rack with the samples in - they load up perfectly every time. I can see some time being spent transporting these sounds across..!

6. bermuda

bermuda New Member

if you are using a windows NT system (2000 and higher), you can still use softlinks in a ntfs-partition too. it is much better as a shortcut, cause it is transparent for all programs.

for older systems (2000, xp, 2003) google for linkd
    for newer systems (vista, 2008, 7, ...) google for mklink

7. wickedged

Thanks for all the help guys - I'm running on a Mac and your advice has worked perfectly. I now have several Drum Racks made up of samples from Machine that I am using in conjunction with the Maschine plug-in and it is frickin' awesome!

I have also started to build a few Sampler instruments using the bass sounds from Maschine's library. I have to say that the potentialities of this are mind boggling. You would pay hundreds of pounds for a sample library the quality of Maschine's, and yet here it is, all included. The bass sound I've got is unbelievable, and this is all just from the Maschine database.

Since buying Maschine, I've often read on here about the problems and frustrations people have had with it. Of course, this is natural as this is a forum for people with problems! But I can honestly say that buying Maschine has been one of the best musical purchases I have ever made - roll on v.1.1! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.