Using Reaktor 5 Drum Machines in Pro Tools 8

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by touched1, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i haven't had a crash with Reaktor at a gig since Reaktor 3 days... that is a long time ago.

so yes, for me it is pretty stable and secure.

btw, if i use Reaktor and Maschine, they will probably be used as plugins with Kore2.

having said that, you can use Reaktor and Maschine synced up, with both running in Standalone Mode.

back to Logic. it is Logic's effects that really do the business for me.

sowari

2. touched1

touched1 NI Product Owner

Hey guys,
    I appreciate all the good suggestions and discussion here. I agree, this is a great place to share info and discuss tech issues. I am just cautious to not come off like too much of a newbie. I've been doing music with machines for a long time, and can't help but be a little embarrassed when I ask questions with simple answers, or are already covered in the manual.... Just my nature.

I was able to patch in the song position macro, but it's not syncing like I would expect it to. No better than the original macro. It will sync initially, but if I adjust a parameter, say the master volume, it starts to lose sync, and is way off after 2 or 3 bars. I am only connecting the single "96" connection, not the pulse or 1/96, as I can't tell how to connect those.

Would this Macro fix the error when using Sine Beats with Ableton Live? I am guessing it would if applied correctly.

Here is the link for the Meat Beat Live remix material.
    http://www.ableton.com/meat-beat-manifesto

I was using this with Live 5 years ago, it was a lot of fun and taught me a lot about using Live. I suspect it should work fine with later versions of Ableton Live.

3. sowari

please don't worry about asking so called newbie questions ;)

anyway, see pic for how to use Comfy's Song Pos plugin in Rhythmaker.
    btw, syncing Reaktor when used as a plugin is not as easy as it should be.

btw, Rhythmaker seemed to be fine for me in Pro Tools :| but i am still using Tiger. have you optimised your Mac for best performance?

thanks for the Meat Beat Live remix material link :)

sowari

Attached Files:

4. Spip

Spip NI Product Owner

I can not find Rhythmaker, do you know where is it ?

5. sowari

6. touched1

Well worth the cost of the whole package just to get Rhythmaker..

Thanks for the replies guys. And thanks for the encouragement Sowari. I have more or less given up on this for now. It's really no fun troubleshooting when I could/should be creating. I may return to it at some point, but this mostly works in Ableton Live with the exception of Sinebeats.

My computer runs like a top with all audio applications except Pro Tools. I inherintly know to do all the things Digi suggests to optimize a machine. All except turning off the airport. Like I said it's an 8 core 3Ghz + 9GB of RAM Mac Pro, so it's a speed demon of a machine. NO audio app has ever given me grief on this machine the way Pro Tools has with Reaktor is. I am disappointed that getting Reaktor beat machines to work with Pro Tools is so difficult.

I'll come back to it eventually. But right now I just want to make some sounds.

Thanks again for the help.

7. sowari

touched, have you tried Pro Tools and Ableton Live with Rewire?
    fwiw, many people say that Reaktor Instruments use less CPU in Live and they do as Standalone.

sowari

8. touched1

Hi Sowari,
    I have not tried running Live in Pro Tools. I may at some point. But I am happy with Live on it's own. I believe you lose access to Live's plug-ins (au and vst as well) when you use Live within Pro Tools, no?

I was just using Pro Tools to learn it for work. It's not my DAW of choice, that would be Live. So I am going back to using Live for beatmaking. Much quicker and much less hassle.

Thanks for posting the screenshot of the Macro config. I will certainly try this at some point.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though in case anyone else has a breakthrough.....

9. sowari

the reason i suggested using Live and Pro Tools together (by using Rewire) is that you could have Reaktor running inside Live and record Live's outputs into Pro Tools.

sowari

10. Spip

Spip NI Product Owner

Hi Sowari and touched1,

I just want to thank you very much for your advices.

I've just bought Electronic Instruments 1 and 2, and Ableton Live :cool:

I hope the learning time will not be too long… and I will be able to use them as soon as possible in my productions.

11. phase90

phase90 NI Product Owner

touched1, here's a pic of the song pos fix. it's placed inside the X-Ctrl structure which is inside the Sequencer structure.

like i mentioned before, this macro has solved All of my PT7/Reaktor sync issues. hope it does the same for you in PT8!

Attached Files:

12. touched1

Much appreciated Phase90.
    I'll try this again soon. Right now I am just doing ambient synth improvs. No FX and no edits. Just having fun twisting knobs!

13. yoyofishguy

yoyofishguy NI Product Owner

latency PT

Hi
    Interesting tread, it seems like PT have to have a buffer of 1024 to keep timing? To me that’s a high latency.

I’m not a professional keyboard player but anything above 256 samples is noticeable. Some of my keyboard friends can play with a higher latency but all of them spots the difference between 512 and 256.

128 as my default setting (XP, Cubase, RME and M-Audio Fast track Pro (USB!). Sometimes i go down to 64 (+32) on the RME setup.

Does this means that PT still isent suited for MIDI work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.