Using the Z1 'soundcard' with other apps?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by carlstep333, Aug 8, 2013.

1. carlstep333

carlstep333 New Member

Is it possible to use the Z1 with other apps (NanoStudio, Auria, Electrify etc...)?

I do use TraktorDJ but for use with the other 'music apps' i'm not really interested in the controller functions just the soundcard aspect.

Anyone got any thoughts on this!

Also, if this 'feature' isn't available now, do you think it will be possible for NI to update the Z1 via a firmware update at a later date?

thanks
    C

2. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

You should be able to use the Z1 sound card with any other application as you can with all the previous NI hardware.

3. carlstep333

carlstep333 New Member

Thanks Makar1,

Glad to hear a user/owner of the Z1 confirm that the unit will work as a sound output and work with other apps on the iPad.

Just one further point. I've been having trouble loading tracks within the TraktorDJ app. Tracks that were once playable through the app all of a sudden disappear and are not loading properly. Has this problem occurred whilst you have been using the Z1 with the iPad app?

Thanks
    Carl

4. robbb

robbb New Member

This doesn't appear to be the case on iOS7. There is no sound output from Spotify or iTunes Music app, etc.

On iOS6 this worked fine.

Does anyone know if there are plans to fix this? It was a big selling point of the Z1.

5. robbb

robbb New Member

EDIT: The RCA outputs work, but the headphone output doesn't - think this is as intended (due it being a software mixer?). So running it into an external amplifier is the solution.

6. Alexinhomg

Alexinhomg Forum Member

With other dj apps i tested, djay, cross dj and d(--)b the software can support the rca outputs and the headphone output to cueing, even if not you can plug the headphones directly to the ipad's headphone jack and still using rca output as the main output

7. HiveHicks

HiveHicks New Member

Indeed, you can use headphones output as the main output from soundcard.

Instructions for OS X:
    1. Open Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup
    2. Use shortcut Cmd+1 to show audio devices window
    3. Find Traktor Kontrol Z1 there
    4. Click "Configure Speakers" in the bottom right corner.
    5. On "Stereo" tab you can pick front left and front right speakers (on Z1 you headphones output corresponds to outputs 3 and 4)

8. sophie101

sophie101 NI Product Owner

If I buy Logic X, could I send the output to a Z1 ?

9. scampooo

scampooo NI Product Owner

You can!

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. sophie101

sophie101 NI Product Owner

Yippee! Thank-you.