Using z1 with apple lightning cable and USB

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by ultrahyper, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ultrahyper

ultrahyper NI Product Owner

2. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

You need to buy the Lightning 30-pin adapter.

3. ultrahyper

Thanks. I understand that that is the official NI line, and that many people may have had success with this adapter.

But it also costs £25, which adds about 15% onto the cost of the z1. Not an insignificant markup.

The Apple charging cable is an official product, which should be reliable, and the USB 'A Female to B Male Adaptor' is a simple passive connector that just moves the pins physically to fit a different shaped USB port. So that should be reliable too.

So it seems like it could work, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this, with or without success.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

NO. As it has been said (in the sticky) and in a many many threads, the lightening cable will not work.

The cable supplied with the Z1 is a proprietary cable. Is not merely a USB to 30pin cable.

Please buy the Apple adapter.

Karlos

5. ultrahyper

OK, thanks. Which leads me to the question which I have asked NI themselves in every available channel, but they seem unwilling to respond to. When will they ship the product with a lightning cable?

I understand it must be frustrating answering this question with the 'use the apple adapter' line, but the reason people are going to extreme lengths trying all sorts of other cable options is that NI don't provide support for current ipads out of the box. I understand their rationale, but it is very frustrating, and it would help greatly if they were more forthcoming about why other options won't work, and when they will ship a product that does have a lightning cable or adaptor in the box.

So, thank you Karlos. No thanks, NI.

6. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Lightning and 30-pin are very different connectors. You can't just expect a simple alternate cable to work.

30-pin is still the most widely used connector at the moment, so there's no need to increase the cost of the device by including adapters for the majority that don't need them.

7. Garrett Cox

Garrett Cox New Member

It makes perfect sense why they went this direction.

Currently there is an authorized adapter that converts a 30-pin connector to a lightning.

There is no connector for lightning to 30-pin.

If they gave you a lightning connection there would be no way to use it on a 30-pin device without unauthorized products that can damage your product. This way you can use it on the most widely used iPhone connector and if you need the lightning connection they offer a great authorized solution.

But a cable without a bulky adapter is always nice but they are probably working on something for the future. Until then there is a reasonable solution.