1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

[v1.2.0] [Unofficial] Ableton Live 11 Maschine JAM MIDI Remote Script

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by gummi, Apr 9, 2021.

1. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

Hello to all JAM+Live users! I just wanted create a new thread around 'HXR_JAM' - package including MIDI Remote Scripts for Ableton Live 11 that works with Maschine JAM.

Background:
    I've been hacking my own MIDI scripts for different software for years for my personal use. When I did the MIDI Remote Script fixing for Live 10 I noticed that other users were also interested of those -> I decided to create a version for Live 11 since there is nothing yet from NativeInstruments. (I know it is coming soon)

Disclaimer:
    This script is not supported or any other way linked to Native Instruments but is only hacked together by one developer. So in case you want to have official version - you have to wait until Native provides the official versions for JAM+Live11.

Features:
    Basically this provides pretty decent integration to Ableton Live 11. You can mix tracks, edit and trigger clips, load instruments, control devices etc one would expect from a mapping.
    I'm going to edit this post to include way more information about the features later this weekend but before that you can take a look of the first UserGuide at https://github.com/haxor-music/hxr-jam-live-11-public/blob/main/UserGuide-210429.pdf

How to get it:
    You can purchase the script from Gumroad https://gum.co/hxr-jam-11-r10
    Installation should be easy for anyone previously installed MIDI scripts for Ableton - you extract the zip, copy the script folders under your Ableton installation and start up Live. Then you select the HXR_JAM for your Maschine JAM controller and you are ready to funk!

Updates & Support:
    Official information about any new features / releases will be posted into https://haxorroxor.com/
    If you purchase the release 1.0 - you will be automatically entitled for any upcoming releases but please note that officially this script is provided without any support and use is under users own responsibility.
    In case you find any bugs - please report those via github issues: https://github.com/haxor-music/hxr-jam-live-11-public/issues

In case you have any questions before purchase - please ask here or contact me at haxorroxor.com and I will try to answer your questions.

UPDATE: Version 1.2 released at 7.12.2021.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. thedavewalker

thedavewalker NI Product Owner

Awesome - you just saved me the cost of a Push2, thank you.

3. thedavewalker

thedavewalker NI Product Owner

Don't forget to select HXR JAM under Preferences->MIDI
    upload_2021-4-9_18-1-28.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kaldosh

Kaldosh Well-Known Member

Amazing !.
    I could not upgrade to Live 11 this year and it might be a while before I can.
    I had a quick look at your tutorial on GitHub, it's really great. I use your template extensively on L10 since a while now.
    Looking at plugin customisation in Loading mode , would this be possible to apply this to L10 script ? Would really make my day

5. Elton Memishaj

Elton Memishaj NI Product Owner

I am so glad to see your release!!
    Thank you so much for your contribution!!

Edit: I went through all usage pdf pages and on github public repo you created for issue tracking purposes.
    You are very well organized!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  6. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

So basically you owe me a Push 2. ;-)
    Anyway - in case you have any feedback on the mapping I’m more than happy hearing your thoughts.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

Thanks! I’m just trying to figure out if the UserGuide PDF is enough or should I create video tutorial as well. Any thoughts on the PDF? I know you don’t have Jam but you have created mapping so you know how it should be documented as well.

8. Elton Memishaj

I think it is very good.
    I would suggest to display button combinations in pdf as images for example "SHIFT" + "BUTTON" or "SHIFT" + "PAD 1-8" or something like this => and the usage explanation to the right as usual.
    As for the video, I am thinking about that for my script as well. I think it is a good idea to do the videos (short) in parts. Be it like a small free "course" for the tactics and tips about using the script.

I am still developing the script with new features and fixes, I wasn't able to finish with the manual yet :(

Good work again!

9. lao ma

lao ma New Member

Hi,
    great work, definitely worth buying it!
    Just one thing, i can't get load mode to work. When i press Shift + Swing it should be active right and i should be able load effects and instruments or not?

10. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

Yes that is the basic workflow:
    - first you select the track
    - enter load mode with Shift+Swing
    - press any button with light to load that item (depending how you setup your UserPluginConf.py)
    - exit load mode with Shift + Swing

Couple details to troubleshoot the issue:
    - Live version? Standard/Suite?
    - language in use (eg how the Effect group names are shown in Live’s browser view)
    - windows or Mac?

I’m using Live 11 Suite in English language so this might have some effect here, need to think about this.

11. lao ma

lao ma New Member

Hmm? How do i setup the user UserPlugunConf.py?

12. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

This may be something bit tricky to do. Basically you need to open that UserPluginConf.py file with text editor and put the instruments/effects/plugins you want to be able to load, save the file and restart Live.
    I notice this is something I need to make better explanation in the user guide.
    But it should open up LoadMode if you have Suite installed even without modifying the file.

13. Anthony Grimmitt

Anthony Grimmitt New Member

This is strange I've brought the script yet doesn't seem to work at all any ideas why to be fair I'm pretty new to ableton and started with ableton 11 so any help would be much appreicated

Ta

Ant

Attached Files:

14. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

First users have been using the script for some days now and I managed to sort out some issues with the documentation for the new JAM+Live users that I forgot to mention earlier. I would be interested on hearing any comments/feedback of the current version so please let me know how you like it. :)

15. Kaldosh

If as good as previous one, I guess it's great.
    Looking at plugin customisation in Loading mode , would this be possible to apply this to L10 script ? Would really make my day

16. lao ma

lao ma New Member

Like i mentioned earlier, i can't get load mode to work and still can't! One question, in the unofficial Maschine Mikro Script it seems like the Browse Button there is really working for browsing. Would this be possible for the Jam? But beside that i really like it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

1st thing: I can't help you if you don't answer my questions that would help me troubleshooting the issue. I will send you a private message trying to help you out.
    2nd thing: Browse Button is working like this because IMHO it has way more value when using it to stop clips than just open/close Browser window in Live (this is what I understand the Micro script is doing - nothing more). To answer you question: in theory this could be changed but at least my first reaction is to say no. The trouble with loading items with Jam (or similar controller without a screen) is that you don't have any idea which button is loading which element -> loading items with JAM is most likely useful only for the most used plugins/instruments/effects so that you remember that ok this button is loading a compressor and so on.

18. gummi

gummi NI Product Owner

Hi Kaldosh! In theory this could be doable but I have to be realistic - since I've personally moved to Live11 it is unlikely that I will do any changes to the script for Live10 anymore.

19. Elton Memishaj

Hey gummi!

I tried making the Browser more useful but failed :D It is stuck with only open/close the browser section.
    What I had in mind, was to hold BROWSER + JOG WHEEL to scroll on items of the browser, and hold BROWSER + JOG WHEEL PUSH to load that selected item/instrument/effect/sample (anything), however, I wasn't able to find the correct (if any) Live API to do that programmatically. Seeing push and push2 base script code, it can only "get" the list from browser, we cannot "set" or override what item is selected in the browser. Push 2 for example (browser mode) uses these APIs to only "get" the list of items, and it shows them in the hardware and handles it in the script <=> hardware scope, not Live, which means it's only a matter of changing arrays of items to display, and a selected item to highlight it, etc, but it all happens in the hardware, in Live DAW itself, nothing is being scrolled nor selected. So I had to let it as is for now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kaldosh

No problem. I have to be realistic too and stop wasting my time here as well. I am slowly moving from the NI ecosystem anyway. What I have works so I'll go with that. Wishing you Welth and success with your new project :D. All the best