1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

v3.3 support for Rewire into Ableton Live

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by flowdynamics, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flowdynamics

flowdynamics New Member

Hi Native Girl,
    Can you please advise if Traktor v3.3 will support use of TS vinyl control as a rewire plugin into Ableton Live with full tempo sync. (ie: in the same way that Torq does).

"Torq can interface with any ReWire-compatible host application. You can easily route the output of Torq to a program like Pro Tools M-Powered or Ableton Live and explore even more performance, production and sound design possibilities. When ReWired to a host application, the tempo of Torq automatically locks to the current session tempo, so you never have to worry about syncing playback between Torq and your preferred DAW".

Thx
    TS looks great.

2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

no, right now there's no plugin abilitiy of traktor!

3. flowdynamics

flowdynamics New Member

any planned?

4. 2manyTHRILLS

2manyTHRILLS Forum Member

You dont work for m-audio by anychance do you ;)

I imagine with traktor 3.3 you will be able to sync to ableton via virtual midi cables (as you could with FS) with the inclusion of midi out in the 3.3 time-coded update.

It is even possibly to sync traktor scratch to ableton although that does require an additional peice of hardware called soundbite micro by red sound which will cost you about £99.

5. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

hey

@flowdynamics, is that u dave?

6. flowdynamics

flowdynamics New Member

Hey 2 Many,
    Thanks for the info. I don't work for maudio ;) - I just grabbed that quote straight from their site as it explains what I wanted to do. Yep - I've been checking out the redsound, but you're right - virtual midi cables will be a good solution with 3.3. Hanging for that!

7. flowdynamics

flowdynamics New Member

Crucial D!
    How are ya my man. You're hanging in barcelona I hear! Sounds cool. I'll be over there in sept/oct - just lining up some gigs in barca now - are you still gonna be around then?

8. Dennis_Kane

Dennis_Kane New Member

I've owned torq and although it was rewire compatable theres no way to get timecode control. no dvs can, simply a matter of the way rewire works.

rewire slaves can recieve midi data but not audio.

i have had some luck running traktor through live using soundflower but not ts due to the fact you cant specify output routing.

9. flowdynamics

flowdynamics New Member

Nice one Denis - good explanation. One of the things I really want to do is to use (some kind of) dvs to launch and manipulate clips in Ableton. Have any of you tried the Ms Pinky plugin for this? I'd really love to be able to rok a set in Ableton Live, but with vinyl control.. This way I can bring in all of my own loops etc but still get that vinyl feel that I am used to.
    Thx
    Dave
    http://www.flowdynamics.com.au

10. kdupkid

kdupkid NI Product Owner

?

Can anyone explain how/what good you could use traktor with another program? (i.e. ableton)

11. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

DVS control plus plug-ins

I think what people are after here is the Holy Grail:
    a rock-solid system to use in a live performance situation which allows vinyl control along with VST or AU plug-in support.

I know Torq offers this, but what is the real-world experience like? The reports I've read are underwhelming.

Lots of people like the features of Ableton (but it has no vinyl control)

Traktor has vinyl control but not some of the very cool features of Ableton.

Some sort of in-between thing is being wished for here. Bring it on I say!

@flowdynamics: g'day mate! hope all's well. liked your mix on Straightup...xlnt work my man. yeah BCN is nice, check my myspace for gig infos. ;-)

12. BerryDelicious

BerryDelicious New Member

Hi all,

yes, the possibility of being able to rewire your AUDIO stream out of Traktor (scratch) (into Ableton Live or another ReWire-Master) is badly needed ! (The reason why not to bring the feature right now via a hotfix can only be a political question concerning the product management. Tecnically it's a no brainer.)

But regarding the fact of SYNCING TEMPO for me the situation is like this:

1) If you wan't to have your beat/tempo synced automatically then stay with Live only.

2) If you wan't to beatmatch via vinyl control then the focus is on rewireing AUDIO from Traktor scratch into Live. No automatism is needed to sync the beat of Traktor scratch with Live ! (DJs, then you have vinyl conrol ! .. or am I missing something ?)

regarding 1)

cons:
    - Ableton Live Browser/Playlist lacks functionality (mp3 tags/cover art, no scrubbing when prelistening/cueing etc.)

What features would you miss if you'd stick to Ableton Live only ?

regarding 2)

Of course it is possible to do MIDI communication between Traktor and Live if needed. But no MIDI clock signal is needed as YOU ARE DJs used to beatmacht manually anyway, aren't you ? Then Live is just another TT.

To admit, regarding my explanations, it would not make any sense to use Traktor DJ Studio (not Traktor scratch) together with Live. But I can understand it if people want to use this kind of setup anyway. What features do you think Live is missing compared to Traktor DJ Studio ? .. As I already said, for me the cover art is one of the most important features that are missing. But what do you think ?

13. petetaylor1973

petetaylor1973 Forum Member

man, id kill for that sort of functionality and integration with Ableton, would pretty much make it a dream package and would open up many more options and avenues for true on the fly remxing and edits

oh and good to see some Aussies in here :)

14. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Hooking Traktor decks audio outs into Live!

Well, I've managed to hook T3.2 audio to Live, see this thread: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showpost.php?p=401600

Here is what I use: http://www.jackosx.com/ , much better than soundflower.

Step by step instructions:

- Install Jack. Uninstall Soundflower, and the instant hijack functionality of AudioHijack if you have that on your system. Restart.

- Run JackPilot (in your 'Jack' folder in the 'Application' folder). In the JackPilot prefs choose your soundcard, and create 8 virtual input and 8 virtual output ports. UNCHECK 'Auto connect Physical ports'. Hit 'Save'. Then hit 'Start' in the little 'jackpilot' window with the cpu usage bar.

- Start T3, in the soundcard prefs, choose JackRouter as your soundcard.

- In the Output routing section of T3, choose 'external mixer', and hook each deck to a different Jackrouter out (1&2 for deck A, 3&4 for deck B, etc...)

- Start Live, in the Live prefs, choose 'JackRouter 8 in, 8 out' as your audio input device and audio output device. Turn on every stereo pair in the pane opened by the 'Channel configuration', 'Input config' button. Turn on every stereo pair in the 'Output config' pane too.

- Open in Live the 'Traktor.als' file I'm providing below

- Go to JackPilot, open the 'Routing' pane, then choose 'Load studio Setup' from the 'File' menu and load the 'Traktor-Live.jks' file provided below. The routing section is really simple to use once you get it, it is like a patch bay, and is extremely flexible.

- Load a track in Traktor. Play it. You should hear it. Go to Live, the audio is routed through Live, and you can do whatever you want with it, like add VST to any deck separately...

-In Live, I'm using sends to route deck A&C to the A send, which then output to the first physical stereo out of my soundcard. Likewise with decks B&D, they are routed to the B send, and then out to the second physical output. This allow me to output two T3 decks to one physical output. The two physical output then go into my mixtable.

- In Jack, in the routing tab, the left column is the source, and the middle one the destination. On the right you have a list of the connections that are made to or from the currently selected source or destination (named send ports and receive port).

A single click on any source or destination item show you in the connection column which connections are currently made to or from that source (or destination...). You can select a source with one click, then doubleclick on a destination, and it will automatically connect every single virtual 'cable'. If you double click again, it will remove all connection. The 'system' receive port is your soundcard, so if you got more outputs than me, you should select 'Live' in the source, and doubleclick twice on 'system'so that it release all the current connections and auto establish properly new ones.

In Live you can then make more send ports, and hook the output of each to the proper soundcard phys output.

-You should lower the Master volume in Traktor to -3, -6 or -9db, so that you don't saturate in Live after you have mixed things together, applied EQ in Traktor, etc, you should also turn off the Master Limiter to get a better sound, since you will be tweaking your sound in Live.

Ok, now, if anyone knows how to send a MIDI clock from Traktor to Live, I'll be the happiest guy in the world :) (And yes, we need it, it makes things easier, and allow to sync the effects of Live to Traktor).

Attached Files:

15. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

And here is a screenshot of Traktor, Live and some VST peacefully humming along... :)

Attached Files:

16. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Ok, I've found what I needed to have Midi sync: http://www.nerds.de/en/ipmidi_osx.html

Makes a virtual midi cable. Just select it (it is called nerds.deIPmidi) as your Midi interface in the T3 midi sync pref pane, check 'send midi clock' too, and turn on its sync and track recieve button in Live.

Turn on 'Master' and 'Send' in the T3 master clock detail pane, slave all decks.

Works like a charm. Whooooho! When you turn off and on the 'send' button in the master clock detail pane it starts armed Live clips on time too!

17. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

And by the way, if you don't own Live, download the demo: http://www.ableton.com/free-trial, saving is disabled, but apart from this, it doesn't time out in any way, so you can use it as a VST plug host and also launch some clips along with Traktor.

It can load the .als file I've provided, so you don't have to start from scratch every time.

18. tomd25

tomd25 NI Product Owner

awesome work nico. just the excuse to buy the macbook i needed ;) i love seeing people pushing traktor beyond it's capabilities by creative means, i've got a few ideas in the pipeline for midi control stuff but time is too precious at the minute to really get into it.

there is something similar for windows, http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.html, i did play around with it but think i had some issues with latency/choppiness. my laptop is pretty poor though, so others might have more luck...

19. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Well, I don't want to start a Mac vs Pc war, but I wouldn't try this on Windows, at least not in a live situation. The sound architecture of OSX is really well designed and robust, and you can manage to play this kind of tricks with it. I wouldn't trust windows to handle this, but who knows, it might be possible. The nerds.de page has also some window software to do the same virtual midi cabling, this should be safe and running Live and Traktor together should be ok.

By the way, this was only the setup part above, you don't need to do all those steps every time, just launch jackpilot first, start the audio driver, start t3, then live, load the als in Live then the .jks in jackpilot, and away you go.

20. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

New and improved Traktor .als file, corrected a few bugs, and I've added EQ and compressor to each T3 track, and also 4 audio tracks so you can put a few loops in there :) Audio track 1&2 are routed to the A send, and audio tracks 3&4 are routed to the B send.

This is mainly for those who don't own Live, gives you a nice quick universal setup when using the demo.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.