VCI-100 Black 'Ean Golden' Edition

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by djAmbeye, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

It's only necessary if you're going to be using it to it's potential. I would be interested to know how many people with a setup like yours actually keep their tables and use them to play live.

2. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

I mainly just use them to rip vinyl & scratch with timecode vinyl.

Do you think it will be a wise investment to make .I basically wamt to get rid of my tablles & mixer and have a compact setup with the controller to control the 4 decks in traktor plus use traktors internal mixer and the Audio DJ8.

Will the VCI SE replace all of this and will I be able to de everything I used to with it

3. chilly

If you're hesitant, see if you can rent one from a Guitar Center or something, or buy it, try it, then return it.

You shouldn't expect people on a forum to tell you whether or not a specific midi controller would be a wise investment for you. Everyone's different. I have a Novation Remote 25SL, a Trigger Finger, and a UC-33e. Do I like the VCI-100? Yup. Do I get all the functionality I need right now from my current midi controllers? Yup.

Does this make sense?

4. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

Yes , but I need to know.I live in South Africa and here's no demo gear to test so I have to know if it would be a wise investment to make and will I be able to selll it for a good price if I dont Like it.Will there be more of these special versions avail if the 100 is finished and when will NI release their own controller.

I want to replace my DJM 600 and tables with the contrioller I would like to know from members of it will be sufficiennt enough to replace my existing setup and still play with it at a gig

5. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

Hey,

Check out the Reloop Controller. It has an on-board sound card. And it has good credentials so far. It is a larger Unit and not so TOY_LIKE. This type of set-up would allow you to rip vinyl to the computer also. So there would be no set-up of the A8. Still if you chose to use two turntables along side the Controller it would work as just a midi controller. there is also non-sound card versions.

6. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

guys i need a no or yes for this Special edition VCI.

is it a wise investment?Woul I benefit from it with my current setup?

7. chilly

Once again, I would be surprised if anyone answered this question. You need to figure this out for yourself. Do some research man. Everyone's different.

8. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

but would you invest in it?would it have a good resale value?

9. signaturex

good investment? possibly good=value/investment has to with the value of the gear to you specifically. Also resale value, if you don't like how it works -- Does it give you an exit(resale) strategy. ? These are important consideration if the investment is substantial for you.

I think the limited run of the VCI 100 is a little silley to focus too heavily on. The core functions of the VCI are transport and EQ control. To really get everything out of the gear that you are going to need -- You will have to explore its programming and control assignments on your own with the software using the software how you would use it best.

From my experience I can make a suggestion. Don't get rid of the rest of your gear right away. Turntables and vinyl control and a djm 600 represents alot of skills and analogue control that you won't find right off with the vci. Making a steep transition like this might prove frustrating .. though you may like to challenge yourself this way.

10. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

So you would recommend buying the unit and keeping my exsisting setup.?

Do you think this controller will stay a flagship of controllers for still some time or are their better ones on the way.I need opinions?

11. signaturex

I HARDLY BELIEVE THE VCI 100 TO BE THE FLAGSHIP OF THE CONTROLLERS! In fact!, the flagship control would be the two turntables and control vinyl that you already own. :)

The vinyl is better for fine resolution control and scratching. I think that you would miss it if you got rid of it. If you want to get into midi control of your program and using the internal mixer you might get a VCI and use it to control the internal mixer system and also use the control vinyl. This would offer you the ultimate spectrum of control . There are other knob type contorllers that would allow you internal mixer control and control of efx as well.

12. signaturex

There is also a new version of traktor being released in the future..
    .. Things will change substantially at that point as well.

13. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

so what you are saying is that it I would just be throwing money down the drain to purchase that unit.What I need to know with my setup is that I really really need a unit like that?
    Whats your thoughts?

14. signaturex

No certainly not money down the drain. Im not making distinctions like that. The controller (VCI) is certainly a worthey piece of gear, but hardly the flagship of the control systems. It is much like many other controllers on the market, this black version has been specialized by someone who has used the VCI alot and made it apart of his DJ show. He also uses the novation Remote system and a trigger finger if i remember correctly.

Looking at the controllers that came out in the industry this year. I was un-impressed. The technologey has definately plateaued and the strongest systems are refining themselves.

I am hoping that the software that NI releases will be much more than what is traktor 3. A whole new system of software control may be necessary for that system, but it will work with older controllers NI wouldn't make existing equipment obsolete with a new release .. that just goes against good business sense.

15. Coert_E

Coert_E Forum Member

thankx so much for your input, so finally would you buy it if you were in my shoes, taking forthcoming controllers and the steadiness of the VCI in consideration?

16. signaturex

I don't know your shoes. I wear big big shoes. I run a twenty four track console and 14+ outboard efx processors along side my motu system. I use two computers often now. For a compact dj system I just use the macintosh by itself, hotkeys and dual mono output. i have considered buying the VCI several times, I have also considered the xzone 3d and niether has impressed me to drop the dime. I do like the xzone 1d. It is a small midi controller with a jog wheel, knobs, and several faders. I thought that it would make a nice compact control system.

PErsonally I am waiting to see the new fader fox systems as well as other companies that have been developing systems for some time. I don't feel that I know enough about the new software to buy an expensive controller right now. Money is better spent on my computer system and on other NI programs like BATTERY and an MPC type drum pad for control of that system and my transport in traktor. I really like the feel of the SCRATCH transports that Ive played on and I owned a 600 for some time. These were high quality components.

17. signaturex

18. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

I'm looking to get the firmware 1.3 upgrade. Have the latest TSI file from djtechtools and have been looking over the MIDI assignments.

There are many new MIDI outs not present in the original firmware, does anyone have a map of what fader/knob/button sends what MIDI data?

This would be a great help, thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.