1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Verticle Waveforms

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by yagru, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yagru

yagru Forum Member

TS looks like it very well may be an excellent program. I would just like to say I hope Traktor will consider adding a verticle waveform setup sometime in the future.

At first I was very baffled about verticle wavs.. but after using SSL I quickly realized how vertical waveforms are far superior in actual functionality. They create a visual aid while mixing that is just not possible with horizontal wavs. This will be very useful to pro djs. Anyway, just a thought for NI. Take care.

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

This can be forwarded, no promises though.

3. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

Why shouldnt it help in horizontal view? You can also switch to horizontal view in SSL and it still helps ya mixing. It is just a question of whether you *align* the wavforms, or not.

4. djquartz

To be honest I never even payed attention to the waveforms when mixing tracks.

I match the bpm with my ears, double check the bpm on the screen to see if they are matched and ride the platter or pitch to keep them sync'd.

Most times you don't even have to adjust if they are perfectly matched.

5. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

Lol, really? Usually I dont feel the need to eat anything when I am not hungry.

;-)

6. yagru

yagru Forum Member

vertical alligned is better than horizontal alligned because it keeps logical seperation between the waveforms.. left and right

Its not for beatmatching.. its best benefit comes when doing long mixes.. especially if the music is hot off the press

7. djquartz

One thing that was intuitive about the SSL wave graphics was the color coding for different sounds.

That is a good feature that I would like to see if possible in TS.

8. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

the phase meter partially substitutes this.

on the musikmesse i once again caught myself mixing only via looking on the waveform (no headphones) - if you know your tracks and have'em beatgridded and cue points set, no problem.

9. djquartz

When practicing I find myself using the sticker view moreso if I end up looking at the screen.

Since I have a white rectangular sticker that is directly matched to the sticker view dot, this works great!

When practicing juggling I will use my laptop that is way off to the side, so the only time I look at the screen is when using vinyl scroll/select.

This way I can force myself to use the stickers on the control records like you would with regular vinyl during a routine.

10. nohiphop

nohiphop NI Product Owner

AW: Re: Verticle Waveforms

Sorry, not to agree to the statements above, but the display of SSL is ugly. When I'm mixing I use my ears, not my eyes.
    I use the waveform display in Traktor to see the actual position in track and to look for the breaks. Therefor the display is very clear and not overloaded.

Some friends are using SSL, this rainbow colored display drives me crazy.

Leave the waveform display as it is and bring back the clock (in a less space consuming way, maybe in the titlebar) ;-)

11. djquartz

Re: AW: Re: Verticle Waveforms

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, so it will be good to hear who likes/dislikes what.

As for the clock suggestion, didn't you see the more recent TS GUI screenshot?

http://www.native-instruments.com/typo3temp/pics/bd05eae070.jpg

12. yagru

yagru Forum Member

well i have to say those colors help alot when your doing very long mixes.. its good to know when a stab or something is going to start in a track incase you dont have them phased perfect. I think it is good to have something to reference if you need it considering we cant look at the grooves in the record.

13. djquartz

Cue points also help alot with that because you can see the whole stripe beneath with the cue point marks.

So that isn't an big issue with horizontal waveforms in TS.

14. yagru

yagru Forum Member

well that has nothing to do with being horizontal or vertical.. just talking about the color representations

personally i dont setup cue points

15. djquartz

Well that's where the different of opinions will come in.

I use cue points quite frequently.

However you're using the color coding as on the fly cue points in a sense.

But yes I can see where knowing what kind of sound is approaching ahead of time comes in handy.

Color coding combined with cue points for each track would be a powerful mix.

For the people that don't care for color it could be option. So you could toggle between modes in the preferences section.

Simple as that.

16. beta247

beta247 NI Product Owner

in all seriousness, vertical waveforms and lining up beats is rediculous. i went to watch some"new" dj's play the other day. they spent more time staring at the screen than at the audience. the only thing i really ever use the waveforms for are to see the break or the end of the song. i personally hate the ssl gui, enough not to use it. i've had it for over 4 years and have tried everything else under the sun so i wouldn't have to use ssl. i for one wish they would eliminate all this beatmatch crap from all dvs', cause if you can't beatmatch, what are you doing djing anyways?

17. djquartz

@ Beta 247

This has nothing to do with beatmatching at least not for me.

This is for identifying sounds within a track when it hits the playhead marker. For breaks and mix points I just set cue points for needle drop visual references.

Other than that I use stickers on the control vinyl in clock positions along with a rotational position sticker reference to juggle and cut up sounds without looking at the screen.

Yes the point is if you're just mixing you should be using your ears. That fundamental skill has not changed.

But since we're going to argue about beatmatching assistance then they should eliminate all bpm counters from mixers, etc.

Everyone should be able to count bars in their head and mix, right? So it should removed from everything.

I agree with you about the gazing at the screen situation. But it does require practice with this type of equipment. As you said 'new' deejays.

It's like the piano or organ, you have to practice not to look down and before you know it you're playing without even looking.

So it goes hand in hand.

18. beta247

beta247 NI Product Owner

i always thought counting bars in your head came naturally, it is 4/4, not rocket science. no arguement on the use of cuepoints as markers, i even use a trigger finger to do cue jumps, but the original post was about vertical waveforms for beat matching.."This will be very useful to pro djs"..uhmm, i don't think so.

19. djquartz

Right, counting bars should be second nature. I agree with that. I think part of the gap is DJ's who just started spinning with DVS solutions solely before the learning the classic ropes.

So I understand where some frustrations come from because pro DJ's were pro before DVS.

So I think it was just a wrong choice of words.

20. sergeramirez

sergeramirez NI Product Owner

if you can't beatmatch, what are you doing djing anyways?

Could not put it better myself, You dont need a screen to see if your on beat. What the hell are the headphones for? People seem to get lazier and lazier each time, for that just grab Ableton and let it do the mixes for you. The one reason I didn't buy SSL was because of the verticle view. The only reason, IMHO to look at the screen is to see how your track is forming, where there might be a break or when the song is going to start after a break etc.. Not to beatmix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.