Vestax VCI-100 Firmware update 1.2

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Timtango, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

I started tagging some info onto the old VCI thread, but it probably deserves it's own. I have my hands on an update kit. I'll scan the docs and take some photos before returning it. In answer to an earlier question, the Renesas Flash Development Toolkit v3.1 is used.

Attached Files:

2. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

Cool, I guessed right then. I have managed to get hold of FDT v4.01 which supports the H8/3052 microcontroller. You can get it from the renesas website but you do need to register an account there.

FDT connects to the uC via a Serial connection, so the interface is probably nothing more than a MAX232 level shifter. You can probably get away with using a cheap Serial datacable.
    ---
    OK, here is a simple schematic of the type of cable you would need if anybody wants to build one :)

http://www.aberkan.be/ftp/fon/images/max3232/Serial-max3232.gif

Credit to the original author of the circuit (i just googled it!)

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  3. braane

braane Forum Member

Hi,

Just one question, what do you have to do to get one? :)

Regards,

Robert

4. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Donate your limbs to science ;)

5. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

lol.... or U can build one like im doing........... I am the Iron Man!

6. tidsfm

tidsfm New Member

VCI firmware

i also fancy building 1, t121xta do you have the relevent firmware file, i 've got the fdt 4.01 same as you and the cable schematics just need the firmware file and possibly the pin outs inside the vci but can probably work them out off the IC diagrams. thanks

7. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Where can you obtain the IC ? I might create a service with payment by paypal.............

8. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

try keep this free please! unless you want to sell the cables..

9. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

Update docs

first doc

Attached Files:

10. wild_andy_c

wild_andy_c Forum Member

Only the cost of logistics and return packaging..........

11. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

I'm having trouble uploading PDF larger than 480kb (seems to be a forum limit)
    Any ideas?

12. tidsfm

tidsfm New Member

is there anyway you can convert them to text files, which are generally smaller so should be able to upload. if you wanna mail em to me and i can see if i can either convert em or shrink the size somehow.

13. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

yep, ive got the pinout sussed, they're at work so i cant post them just yet... its not just a simple case of TX RX and GND tho, if i remember correctly I had to GND a certain pin on the header and VCC another to get it to boot the vci into boot mode. You have to flash the firmware in boot mode too, i dont think it is possible to flash in user mode.
    ---
    ---

PS.

One of the PDFs are here....

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmmkctatyip

Although you wont need them the update is quite simple, just remember to connect using BOOT mode and simply flash the firmware in Simple mode or FDT...
    ---
    hehe... i can cover the west midlands... at ur door service lol!

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  14. tidsfm

tidsfm New Member

t121 have u actually updated the firmware to 1.2 or have you just got the programmer communicating with the IC. have you got the relevant firmware file.

15. Ean Golden

Ean Golden NI Product Owner

if you manage to get the firmware cables and software (not an easy task) then I would be happy to supply my VCI-100 special edition firmware (1.3) which is very traktor centric.

this is the layout:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/store/

16. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

Wow, v1.3? Can you release this firmware? Also is it based on 1.2 so incorporating the ramp up bug fixes?
    ---
    PS I'm just drawing up the pinout now, MS paint here we go!

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  17. braane

braane Forum Member

Very impressive work guys! If you manage to make a working firmware programmer then I might ask a friend of mine to build it for me ;)

I don't really want to blame Vestax on this, but they just simple don't care of people having the first wave of vci units with 1.0 firmware :(

Regards,

Robert
    ---
    Hey Ean!

I've asked this on djtechtools but maybe you missed it, so is that faceplate+firmware combo you are finalizing going to fix the ramp up issue aswell or only your traktor specific modifications?

Regards,

Robert

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  18. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

Ean - once flashed with your firmware, is it possible to choose between 1.2 and 1.3 mode on the VCI-100 in the same way that the 1.0/1.2 choice can be made?

(ps.. it's been done.. someone has managed to flash a VCI-100 without the official kit...)

19. t121xta

t121xta Forum Member

OK guys, attached is the pinout of the header in the VCI....

Note that the datacable can be powered from the VCI's VCC connection, or if you are using a generic phone datacable as I did, then this will probably already be powered via diodes and regulator from the COM port. In this case you can just connect the TX, RX and GND from the header to the cable, but you would still need to connect the two pins I have marked as VCC together for the vci to boot into BOOT mode. Also the two GNDs need to be conencted together.

You can tell if it has booted into boot mode as none of the lights will come on. If the lights come on after a few seconds, then you have probably missed off the links.

So to flash the firmware, Conenct up the interface, then supply power to the vci (either from USB or Adapter), wait 5 seconds. If no lights come on, then you are successfully in BOOT mode. Now just fire up FDT and flash the firmware. You will need to select the uC (3052F) and the clock frequency 24Mhz. Also you need to flash in BOOT mode.

As expected, I dont want to be held responsible if you blow up your VCI. So please ask if you are unsure of anything, although I can confirm I have this 100% working.

Attached Files:

20. tidsfm

tidsfm New Member

nice work t121xta,
    i just had my meter out checking the pins then i saw your post so you saved me a job, can u please send me the 1.2 firmware so i can give it a go. thanks
    also just looked at the FDT software i'm presuming it doesn't allow you to read the from the vci does it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.