1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Vestax VCI-100 Firmware update 1.2

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Timtango, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SWAEN

SWAEN Forum Member

thank you

2. freakerz

freakerz New Member

simplesounds, can you take a picture of the header on the VCI-100 with solder?

I ordered the USB-TTL cable, but the female on the cable is to wide for the VCI-100 header... so I'm guessing that's why you soldered to the VCI-100?

Welds are pretty small... is the TTL header Vestax uses proprietary?

3. simplysounds

simplysounds NI Product Owner

where did you buy your cable from? i only soldered mine as i made my cable from a nokia dku-5 phone lead that i modified. if you bought this from a supplier as a vci reflash lead then i would contact them if the header doesn't fit. if you download the pack from syndromes site there is a picture there. not sure what you mean by vestax proprietary? i have attached a pic but this is using my lead and functions and colours vary so i wouldn't go by this.

also my connections are permanent. if you look through this post you should see a pic of my vci with an additional usb socket and switch on th rear for reflashing.

Attached Files:

4. freakerz

freakerz New Member

This is the cable I ordered, didn't think to measure the header eh...

http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=70

I'll have to go buy myself a new solder tip, one that is smaller... these connections are close eh.. wire gage may be too big on this cable too.. will have to think about...

At least there's good docs for this cable... and the VCI's header (thanks for that eheh)

And syndromes' file isn't online anymore... :S

5. simplysounds

it's a different connector anyway regardless of length. you'll know the pinout of your cable so you just have to follow the pic attached and remember tx may go to rx etc, just remember the links as you need these to put the unit into boot mode. if you want the whole package including firmware and instructions, send me your email and i'll put it on a share site for a while.

Attached Files:

6. freakerz

freakerz New Member

Seems I can't send PMs unless I have 20 posts or greater.

My email is blank.

Thanks!
    ---
    Received successfully, thank you.

In the instructions you mention a 9v power adapter... so the device is not powered by the USB cable as when we're using the controller?

7. simplysounds

download link is for others : https://download.yousendit.com/Y2o5QndPK3hENlJFQlE9PQ

will be there for 7 days.

the 9v power is there if you want to eliminate powering with the normal usb cable (not the reflash cable). i just hooked this up to avoid any other usb communiction with the PC when i did mine. you can power it via the usb the choice is yours. the instructions were put together in the early stages of reflashing.

8. freakerz

freakerz New Member

WOOT! Cable worked!

Shaked like hell soldering those small prongs, but went smoothly...

Dunno if you mentioned this "tip" - may not be a tip for knowledgeable solderers - to put some solder rather than while holding the wires etc...

THANKS A BUNCH SIMPLYSOUNDS AND OTHERS!

Pictures and such for this cable model will be available soon ;)

I've also updated my firmware through VMware (am on a Mac) and had no issues.
    ---
    Guess no celebrating yet...

Did upgrade, had a good image wrote successfully, yet the VCI does not light up when powered on...

Is there a special way to disconnect the VCI once you have the green message? I hit disconnect, turn vci off, unplug cable, plug cable in VCI, power the unit, no lights..

9. freakerz

freakerz New Member

Ok so I first tried to desolder the links (VCC/Grounds) ... didn't work right... desoldered the cable, now all is good...

Can you take a picture of the way you wired the switch? Or which pins you used for the switch, I had unsoldered last and first (easiest to solder back) and the device lighted up some lights, and wasn't usable...

10. simplysounds

glad it worked ok. all i did was cut the two links and and put a switch in between them.

1 2 3
    - - -
    -------- double pole single throw (dpst) slide switch
    - - -
    1 2 3

maplin do a sub-minature dpst and many other types of switch.

just cut the red link and put one wire to pin 1 and the other to pin 2 on the top row. do the same with with the black link on the bottom row. you could also use a 6 pin mini din and put the links inside the the plug on the cable so when you plug it it it puts the unit into boot mode.

this is how mine is (see pic) although i wish i'd used the plug and socket method as it would have been easier.

for plug and socket: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=mini din&source=15

good luck with it.

Attached Files:

11. freakerz

freakerz New Member

12. simplysounds

good work.

13. castaman

castaman NI Product Owner

please you can re upload the files an the manual for
    update the vci 100

thanks

14. simplysounds

15. castaman

castaman NI Product Owner

ok
    thats is very good work

i have a ca-53 cable by nokia, is possible with this cable?

thanks simplysounds, from spain

16. simplysounds

my vci is now up for sale on ebay if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220446436240&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

i'm going to buy a korg nanokontrol and depending on how it performs i might modify it to make custom controller. i rarely use the jogs on my vci and i prefer the feel of my keyboard buttons than those on the vci.

the nanokontrol just about has enough buttons but no centre indents on the rotary ctrls. i might replace them and rework the layout or it maybe ok as is...

just got a logitech dinovo mini illuminated bluetooth keyboard. can now dj from 10 meters away - at the bar - or in the toilet....ahhhh, that's better!

17. Cozmic023

Cozmic023 New Member

Simplysounds,

I am the person that won your VCI-100 on ebay, it's been great to use once i had it configured to TP.

But i'd now like to upgrade the firmware to v1.3 and get the DJ Techtools overlay, and pimp it up a little!:D

I need more info on the firmware flashing side of things. I've downloaded the V1.3 firmware from the DJTT site, and the firmware flasher software.

Can't seem to get a device driver for XP to see the VCI in flash mode. And the flash programmer doesn't see a device without the driver?

I hope you can assist in helping me do this upgrade.

Many Thanks

Cheers
    Lee

18. simplysounds

the driver for the cable should be on the cd i supplied. if not get it here:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

if you then follow the instructions on the cd you should be ok

once the cable driver and the flash software is installed check what com port (under windows device manager) the usb (pl2303) cable is on, set the flash software to that com port and choose h8/3052f and set freq to 24mhz.

load the file you want...

set the reflash switch on the vci, plug in and flash.

use the software on the cd i supplied and follow the instructions.

i reflashed the vci using all the stuff on the cd which is the same info pack others have used (when i posted on the ni forum)

hope this helps

let me know how you get on

19. Cozmic023

Cozmic023 New Member

Many thanks for the info, i'll have a look later. You didn't supply me with a cd, but from the above instructions & the video on the DJ Techtools site. I'm sure i can work it out.

So once flashed, will i have access to all three versions of firmware or just 1.1 & 1.3?

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Cheers
    Lee

20. simplysounds

i did supply a cd with the vci. have a look in the box and amongst the manuals as i know i put it in there for sure.

if not contact me at simplysounds@yahoo.com with your address and i'll send you out another cd in the post.

the cd has instructions, pictures, drivers, firmware and my tsi files.
    ---
    with regard to switching firmware... i guess eans 1.3 firmware allows switching between 1.3 and the original 1.2 by holding some buttons down etc. this is done within eans 1.3 frirmware. i don't think you'll be able to have all 3 firmware switching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.