1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Vestax Vci-100 - New Firmware In The UK - The Scoop!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Dickins, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

OK,

So after much research on these forums about wanting to buy a new controller, I decided that the VCI-100 is the way to go....

BUT

... It seemed to be plagued with issues as a result of the inital firmware that the unit shipped with.

Earlier this week, I called LeisureTec (http://www.leisuretec.co.uk) who are the UK distributors for Vestax and spoke to one of the staff there who knew exactly what was going on. I'm not going to say his name, because it might land him in some hot water, but he told me that their latest batch of new VCI-100's have the new firmware (Version 1.2) pre-installed. They haven't shipped many of them out to the resellers, but if I contact a reseller and ask for a VCI-100 with a green sticker on the box with the words - Ver. 1.2, I would have the latest version and it has the improvements that everyone is looking for.

The reason they haven't openly advertised it is because:

a) They are still trying to work out a way to recall all the VCI-100's and perform the update as quickly and efficiently as possible. This update apparently cannot be downloaded from the net and installed through your computer, although I have read one of Ean Golden's posts that it can be done and he will be posting instructions soon. It seems that to update the firmware, you need additional hardware to install it.

b) (Although he didn't say this to me, I would have thought...) They want to sell off as much old stock as possible, before putting out new units that everyone would want rendering the old units unsellable.

I got onto decks.co.uk & told them the scoop. They rang LeisureTec & blasted them for not saying anything to them. They were pissed that customers knew more about the state of play then they did.... and quite rightly so.

Anyway, LeisureTec appologised to them and sent them a unit immediately which came in today.

Guess who its earmarked for?

That's right................. ME

Its due to be delivered on Monday. I'll let yall know what its like..........

Hope this helps clarify a situation many people have been confused about recently. I've done a lot of research and hopefully it will have paid off for those who just don't have an effing clue what the deal is.

2. funkydunky

funkydunky Forum Member

haha nice one!;)

3. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

I thought so.......

4. tobyelkington

tobyelkington Forum Member

good work son!

5. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Hi all, my girlfriend just ran out to Moog Audio (Toronto, CANADA), and she confirms the same thing - VCI-100's are available here with the 1.2 sticker.

Looks like I've got some MIDI mapping to do tonight, he he.

6. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

Download Ean Golden's TKS File & MIDI Pipe for your Mac System.

Its on another thread in this forum....

7. TeLLy

Already have, just haven't used them yet. Thanks though.

8. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

No worries!

Here to help!

9. TeLLy

Can you help me clean my house? It's filthy and gramma's comin to visit!

10. polocorp

polocorp New Member

Just wondering if 1.2 addresses one of the main issues on the VCI. When you release the wheel after a scratch the track stalls before resuming at normal speed. It breaks the energy and doesn't feel anything like a CDJ or vinyl deck.

HJas this problem been taken care of in the firmware update ?

11. TeLLy

^^I'm not having any problems with my 1.2-equipped unit. However if I throw the wheel extra-hard (think having to cue-and-release on a belt-drive) then the track will spin forward too much, slow down, then ramp back up to normal speed. Basically if the wheel is still moving after you release it you'll still get some ramp-up, which to me makes sense. I just use a light touch (think Tech12's) to release, and all plays as normal.

12. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

I've got the new firmware version.

It works fine for me.

Takes a bit of getting use to.

I'm a vinyl traditionalist, so using these 2 smaller platters was a bit awkward at first, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

13. CosmicChameleon

CosmicChameleon New Member

Question...

What does this Firmware update do?
    AND, does the VCI-100 support the 4-decks within T3?

I'm looking to buy the VCI, but am trying to figure out if it's the right controller for me.

Thanks

14. Timtango

Timtango Forum Member

some detail on the 1.2 firmware changes:

1) TRAKTOR 3.2/3.3/3.3LE 4 DECK CONTROL

Now you are able to use 2 VCI 100s to control 4 decks (A,B,C,D) via Traktor 3.2.

2) JOG WHEEL CANCEL MODE

Due to sounds @ club and large venues, when using the VCI 100 near heavy bass, the vibration can offset the jog wheel and the pitch may change. To continue your mix in severe conditions, we have updated the VCI 100 with this new feature.

3) IMPROVEMENTS IN THE OUTPUT OF SIGNAL SENSIBILITY THROUGH JOG DIALS

With computer processing speeds improving so has DJ software.

The update has enabled to allow more precise digital data to be controlled by the software via the jog dials on the VCI 100. The update when rotating the jog dials has allowed for more sensitive output for better control.

4) ADD TOUCH SENSOR ON/OFF SIGNALS

During vinyl mode, when using the jog wheel the new update has allowed to send signals from the controller to the software program. An on/off signal when using the jog wheel is sent through the VCI 100 to the software program, enabling to scratch and DJ like an analog turntable. The software can now detect when the hand is on the touch sensor and when it is off.

NOTE: This new feature is available with the future release of TRAKTOR 3.3 and TRAKTOR 3.3LE. The feature enables for a smoother scratching ability and no ramp-up issues when Djing.

NOTE: The new firmware will be installed from start-up and therefore boot-up with the update.

If the end-user wants the VCI-100 to return to its original firmware, this can be done via pressing the second (from top) loop button (small black buttons in loop section).

15. paddydj

paddydj Forum Member

Wow!
    So you can switch back to the ramp-up mode? That would be very nice because with the old firmware it is possible to do backspins what could be a problem if the vci 100 only recognized hand on/off.
    Does this mode switch require a reboot or something?
    Hope I'll get my vci back tomorrow (updated). :)

16. wgdavis78

wgdavis78 Forum Member

Hey guys...

i bnought my vestax vci 100 at guitar center in fountain valley in california two weeks ago...it has the 1.2 sticker on it....but when i try to scratch with the jogwheel there is a little ramp up to get the music going to the tempo....its impossible for me to scratch the begging of a song and let it go in sync with the song playing like you would on a vynl table....do i have the update?

17. JCO

JCO Forum Member

It is possible... you need to adjust some settings.

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Forum Member

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1596053350373711372&q=vestax+vcm&total=1&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0"]Dj Tech Tools in Tokyo! The new VCI-100, and the VCM-100[/ame]

19. markross

markross New Member

How do you get this update if you have an older model? Do you have to send it off to be updated? Who would I need to contact in the UK?

20. tobyelkington

tobyelkington Forum Member

I'm just sorting this out myself! I've got an original vci with the old firmware, after several e-mails to leisuretec (the vestax uk distributors) they've sent me back to the retailer... I'm in the process of getting a proof of purchase and a returns number to then hopefully return it to Vestax for the firmware update.

It seems Vestax aren't publicising the firmware update for old models, and deliberately making it a bit tricky to sort it out. If i manage to get it sorted (I haven't heard from anyone in the UK yet who has...) I'll let you all know to do it!

I'm hoping the cheeky beggars are going to do it for free as well!

Toby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.