1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

-*Video-support for TSP*-

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by IngeMeisel, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IngeMeisel

IngeMeisel New Member

I´ve read in your job-offers:

"...The focus of the internship lays on the intersection of TRAKTOR and professional video performance...."

That sounds great.

Virtual-DJ is crap,
    i´m waiting for video-support a long time.

Please give us a small hint, when will it come?
    (and don´t deny it again, please)

Can someone from NI or anybody else give an answer?

Thanks a lot
    Inge

2. autonic

autonic NI Product Owner

This was discussed earlier in the Q&A forum and if I'm not mistaken NI's official standpoint is something like:
    "video support is an interesting area but our primary focus right now is getting the audio working flawlessly"

I wouldn't sit at home and wait for it if I were you...

3. garysulter

garysulter NI Product Owner

I'm behind this one... most of the clubs I work in now expect the Dj's to be utilising the screens, which means I'm now carrying laptop + bits and cases full of DVD's.. Nearly gettineg to the same amount of luggundg CD or Record cases around like the old days... Would love to see TP go video too.. I mean if Virtual Dj and Serato can surley the minds at Native can add this... I'd buy a new Audio (9) soudcard for it.....:S :eek: :D

4. keng~

keng~ NI Product Owner

VJ is VJ, DJ is DJ

I think is really hard to achieve a great dj-set and a great vj-set at the same time,

for eg, sometime in my sets I use 2 laptops, one for dj and one for vj, but I make vj patch "before" (@ home) and after I use the preset automation, I use AVS (advanced Visualization studio of winamp) very hard (you've to know very well trigonometry) but at least the best vj SW after cycling 74 jitter (that is much more hard to learn),

imho could be a great think, but only for a "little auto-vj-set", or, at least, for video sountrack purposes,

:)

5. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

Well actually I don't agree with you. It's perfectly possible to combine both. If you prepare your video clips as you would with a normal vj set, but you link (your own) music to it, you can bring a full on A/V set that is completely original. Being able to scratch video and to mix/produce your own visual set is something I (and a lot of others) are reaaaaaally looking forward to. Also you don't need to be constantly busy with video while mixing. If for example you're working together with a VJ and you have a video mixer between the both of you, you can launch/scratch clips over his VJ set.

Greetz,
    NLS

6. aviray

aviray Forum Member

I think it is more about option to play video clips (I have large collection of those but have to play them from DVD, HD player or second computer, and of course the Pioneer but I will never buy one, even renting is ridiculously expensive and for what I need overkill) instead of songs, just the same way song is played, just with video.
    This is entirely different that what VJ does ( I am VJ myself and if possible do not mix 2 jobs, I either DJ or VJ, both is just too much to do it right and to my satisfaction).
    Virtual DJ does it in theory but it is the worst software I ever tried, ridiculous CPU use and unreliable.
    Something like what Mixmeister fusion does would be just fine or even Ableton Live which I use for the purpose when I want minimum equipment and do it in one box. I simply batch converted all my mpeg files into QT- bit bulky but works easily.I run both audio and video through Entrancer.

7. The Assistant

The Assistant NI Product Owner

I have no interest in VJing whatsoever - could someone explain all the fuzz? Is it just to show off your "skillz"?

8. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

I myself never really cared for VJing. Not that I don't respect it, I just don't feel it's somewhere I wanna be.

Then I watched a couple of Mike Relm vids on Youtube and thought to myself "That'd be neat to watch". Still don't currently have any interest in doing it myself but hey, I'm also the guy who never wanted to stop spinning classic 12"

9. IngeMeisel

IngeMeisel New Member

I want video-support for the original video clips.

Of course there are no clips for some minimalproghouse-white-label,
    but my set is based on HipHop and everything funky, and there are loads of videos for that.

On Xmas a friend of mine did a gig with VirtualDJ. He played Golden-Era-HipHop(mid 90s) and that was so effin fresh
    (just remember Snoops ill haircuts at that time or the grudgy WuTang-videos, even those titty-pool-champagne-videos make fun again).
    It was displayed on two big screens and the people really liked it.

There are so many cool video clips in other genres, too.
    ..FranzFerdinand, White Stripes, Sex Pistols, Aphex Twin, Björk, Prodigy, Modest Mouse, all the 80s bands, etc.. they all have great video clips.
    Just imagine them in a club on a big screen, that surely rocks.

10. DiscoNova

DiscoNova NI Product Owner

I must say - and nota bene, this is only my opinion - that there is an enormous difference between "VJing" and "playing music videos during DJ set". From what I've been able to gather from all the video clips & other presentations on the net, with Mixmeister (that was mentioned earlier) it might be possible to do some VJing. With other software out, you're more sort of like just playing the videos. On my opinion (again), being able to loop, repeat and scratch a music video is not VJing.

But, since others may have differing opinions, I'm happy to let them have their views. Please don't heat up the flame throwers just yet :)

11. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

@ Telly: WOOOOW never heard of Mike Relm! That's exactly what I mean by being able to do a one man show by preparing a VJ/DJ set. This definetly goes beyond mixing MTV videos... ;-)

12. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

you exactly meet my personal position here! :)

13. Rudj

Rudj NI Product Owner

Are U Nuts ?

When I read this post, it's like I talk to a geek about harmony and musical composition :eek: It sound great, but it mean nothing :(
    Some of U take the wrong way to explore creativity
    Are U realy sure that U were better using a machine :S ?

Practice is the only way :p
    Exploring music, not technology, U find your vibes, your Touch
    Remember this : You are DJ's not VJ's :D

To develop imagination in video needs a long pratice, education of the eyes, and using sophisticated solutions like Module 8
    Lot of VJ's are Graphic Designers, Director of promotional film or work in a web agency

I'm not a graphic designer, so do I decide to play music :)
    And I don't have a lot of knowledge on computing technology, but I'm sure of ONE little thing.One software CAN'T do everything :| !

Before using Traktor DJ Studio I play vinyls and Virtual DJ
    This editor choose to implement the capability to read video files
    First, let me tell that it doesn't make U a professionnal of VJing, just chain videos with effects during mixing
    Second one, unstability of the software and ressource increase after plugging this function...know what it mean ;)

I chose TDS for the GREAT quality of sound and the stability + experience in music mastering and engeenering, native management of standards MIDI

My opinion about this subject is made with my own experience.
    Everybody can be a good GENERALIST using multiple supports and machine, but it's a mistake to wish an ALL IN ONE solution :lol:
    Computer isn't God, maybe a day I'll be better playing TDS, that's one of my dream :p

14. NLS666

NLS666 Forum Member

I find it absurd that some of you seem to set a limit at what a dj would/should do.

I mean why could a dj not do more than just mixing music? Creativity can be fullfilled in lots of areas. Saying that a dj should keep off visuals is like saying a dj can't be a painter or a musician or a carpenter or a baker. If you invest enough time in it, hell, you can learn a lot of things. A lot of people would like to see video implemented in Traktor because they know what to do with it and they also know that some other programs allready do it, so technically it is possible. I'm not bashing NI for this because they allready said that they are aware of some part of their users wanting these features but their priority is now first on getting the audio right. Fair enough!

If you look at what Coldcut, Hexstatic, Mike Relm are doing (or did for more than ten years), you can't possibly say that people shouldn't mix those two things together?

Me and my girlfriend allready use the dedicated programs for veejaying (modul8, Resolume) and we know how to handle photoshop, final cut,... But turntablescratching a video (with it's audio) can't be done with these programs. Being able to combine best of both worlds is something we are looking forward to... There sure isn't anything wrong with that I guess?

And if some other people would just want to mix musicvideos as they would with normal music, well why shouldn't they do it?

Greetz,
    NLS

15. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

I rather concentrate on music then on video.
    I rather the crowd does too.

16. Rudj

Rudj NI Product Owner

To NLS666

I try to answer conscientiously for each point
    (1) I don't said that a DJ must be only somebody who mix at all
    I said that I can't be a VJ :(
    I think that human being is complex and the more he use is brain and talent to create, the more is spend is life with harmony
    So why does he had to place his interest in only ONE art or expression ?
    (2) That's the point I'm not agree with You or not actualy agree with You. What I wish first is that NI finalize as soon as possible the MIDI capabilities of TP, and supply optimize standard tks files for any external MIDI controler.I try to think about present needs, because there so much things can arrive later...:|
    (3)Of course, they should do it. But don't let us behave like children, incresing pressure to NI Team. NI proved that every time they can inprove a product they make it. Let us judge them the opportunity to decide this :cool:

17. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

maybe there is a difference between the crowd - i've never seen a special VJ in a hiphop club, i've seen this only with electronic music.

i dont want to be a visual artist, i just want to have FUNwith the numerous videos that we have in hiphop music (that's what i play).

18. aviray

aviray Forum Member

That is the main point - hiphop, reggeton and some other styles work really great with videos. Contrary the kind of music where VJs work wont really work with played back videos.Before getting hysterical some people should google for the meaning of the word VJ ( confusing indeed, but we dont talk Video Journalist here or MTV moderators), and what is VJing. Artistic activity which requires mostly very different software, hardware then used for music, playing or DJing. It has little to do with what we are talking here which is playing back music videos. Functionality that NI cant afford to miss since the competitors do have it already. It is also important due to demand from the club side-some have technical facilities (Screen, plasmas) and want more then silly logos or playing something that has no connection with music.
    Current standard for DJing videos - the Pioneer DVJ is ridiculously priced for what it can do. Anyway nobody is going to force anyone to use that function so why the panic?

19. garysulter

garysulter NI Product Owner

I'm loving the rants about this...

if you don't want to use video and it was an optional extra as a plugin then you don't buy it... I work in a lot of big clubs where the Dj is expected to utilise the massive screens that surround the venues....
    I work 5 nights a week and have to cover everything from Dance nights to student nights... When playing dance tunes I don't use the screens but when playing RnB or student cheese having the option to play video would be warmly welcomed and save me carrying around my DVD cases :p

Thats my bit... you can all carry on now :D

20. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Hexstatic a duo on Ninja Tune record label do amazing Audio/Visual sets. They play f*cked up stuff.

DJs that took on video pretty much before anyone else and where actually instrumental in the development of the Pioneer DVJ-X1 in fact they were the first people to use them live (actually demoing them).

Fancy stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.