Vintage comps or premium tuber series?

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by fresnobob, Nov 16, 2012.

1. fresnobob

fresnobob Forum Member

Anyone have a view on this?

2. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

Depends on whose sound you like. The premium tube series are Manley emulations: Massive Passive EQ, Stereo Variable Mu compressor, and Stereo Pultec EQP 1-A.

The VC's are all compressor emulations: UA 1176, Teletronix LA2A, dbx 160.

Personally I went for the VC collection. 3 compressors at half price until the 26th. Can't beat that deal. I'm a bit disappointed Softube who did the VC series didn't try and get closer to the h/w they are emulating.

3. ATI

ATI Forum Member

im thinking the same as yourself, im somewhat stuck between the VC and the PT not sure which i should go for they are both incredible useful and i would be using them in all my future mixes but not sure if id want a channel strip because essentially thats what the PT are or the VC (in my opinion) is just alright at emulating the UA 1176 etc. and i have far to many compressors already. Id would be so greatlful if i could be pointed in the right direction as i want to make the most out of the sale NI have going on at the moment. Cheers :)

4. Takeabow

Takeabow NI Product Owner

I'm really just hoping PTS ships with K9U so I don't have to buy it separate. I wish NI would provide some kind of upgrade discount to the next komplete if the user as already purchased one/more of the new components. Thn I would buy PTS now. Instead I'm waiting for the K9 announcement before I buy any more NI stuff.

Given the choice, I'd say the compressors are more useful, but depending on your other plugins, may not fill any needed gaps.

5. dippy

dippy NI Product Owner

Depends on your level of GAS, maybe get them both! :p

I was able to demo the comps kinda extensively and ask a crapload of questions on other forums before caving in on the vintage comps. I demoed them in x64/live and they just seemed to be terrific so I pulled the trigger.

I haven't even installed the PTS yet, but prolly will tonight. The thing for me is that I kinda want these for a mastering touch, but I don't have time play with them that way before tomorrows headline. I'm pretty handy with a decent EQ so, not really sure. I guess instead of typing this I should install the demos and see what the fuss is about :)

6. gostevego

gostevego New Member

I own both (most recently the premium tubes bundle) and both bundles really compliment each other nicely. I tend to use the DBX 160 emulation the most in the Vintage Comp bundle but I find that I really want to use everything in the premium tubes bundle. The vari comp really has some bounce and beef to it and both the passive and enhance EQ have a sound to them that seems to work on pretty much everything I throw at it. I think it is NI's best studio fx bundle to date. But really, get both if you can. :)

7. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

Also went for the Premium Tube series as well. Doing some tracks today where I used both the VC76 and the Varicomp on the same track. They really work well together.

8. fresnobob

fresnobob Forum Member

Played it safe and got bOth half price.
    Only issue left is im working with maschine and
    Reason which i need to resolve, too many parallel
    Workflows!
    ---
    Ill try that too.