1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Interpolation Mode: What does it do exactly?

Discussion in 'BATTERY' started by hammerton, Jun 5, 2011.

1. hammerton

hammerton New Member

Hi. I noticed the new vintage interpolation modes in Battery 3.1.1 . However, I can't find any information on what exactly they do to the samples. There's nothing in the manual anyway.

I know that the SP1200 was a 12bit, 26kHz sampler. So is Battery emulating the lower bit rate AND the lower sampling frequency? What about the filter? Is this just 3 random settings of an analog lowpass filter?

I was a bit confused when I played back a sampled crash cymbal with lots of very high frequency content (i.e. above 10kHz). All the high frequencies up to 20 kHz were still present even in sp1200 mode. Theoretically, there shouldn't be anything above 13 kHz, given the 26k sampling frequency.

Can anybody enlighten me or point me to some official information?

Thanks.

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

3. hammerton

hammerton New Member

More info? Are you kidding me? There is no info on that page other than the Vintage Mode emulates the sound of two vintage machines. I think I had figured out that much myself.

4. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Sorry, I thought it was clear I was being tongue-in-cheek. Unfortunately I don't have any further information than that. My guess is that it may not be emulating the sample rate/bit rate since that's more of a fidelity issue. It might be emulating just the filters.

5. hammerton

hammerton New Member

Sorry I didn't get the irony in your post!

My guess is that it may be emulating the bitrate but not the sample rate. As far as I remember there is a setting "filters off". But this might also be an emulation of the cutoff frequency set at 100%.

I think it's weird the user manual has not been updated to include and explain the new features. I guess I'll have to contact NI to get some more detailed information.