Wanna buy Maschine, but not sure if it's what i need

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by aweeeezy, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aweeeezy

aweeeezy NI Product Owner

I have an S4 and a korg kaoss pad now and i wanted to get Maschine to run out of Deck C of the S4. My two main concerns are: a) if my computer can handle running 4 decks in traktor and operate maschine in the background, and b) will i be able to perform on the maschine well while the maschine window is behind the traktor window.

Here are my computer specifications:
    *2008 Macbook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    *2 GB 667 MHz DDR2

For my setup, i wanted to run the audio out of Maschine into Deck C of the S4, split a stereo cable from the cue out of the S4 for monitoring and the other end goes to the input of Maschine, so any of my decks can supply audio to Maschine's sampler, and then run the S4's main out through the Kaoss pad and into my speakers.

On second though, having the audio input of maschine come from the cue out of the S4 might cause some kind of feedback loop since maschine's output would be connected to Deck C's input on the S4...Or would that not happen?

I'm mostly interested in using the maschine to slice external audio for remixing and fx, but if i can make beats live easily with my setup, im down for that as well, but this is where i, again, worry about the need of two laptops (or at least another monitor).

Does anyone see any flaws with the signal/work flow? I'd appreciate any advice as well.

Thanks,
    -Alex

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  2. Nanofox

Nanofox NI Product Owner

Definitely buy maschine! To answer both questions i would say yes but for question a) I would say you would need more ram at least 4gb total. Harddrive speed plays a part in that also, so i wouldn't run your music and sound library from the same drive that your operation system is on. Running heavy FX will slow down your processor, so if your going to use Maschine or TP2 to add FX your system may not handle it well, but you will be able to play all four decks (3 of music and 1 with input from maschine).

3. aweeeezy

does the built in sampler and slicer work without the maschine software running?

in other words, could i midi map the knobs of maschine to operate FX decks 3 and 4 and still loop and slice audio from traktor with maschine while only having tk2 running on my laptop?

4. Nanofox

Nanofox NI Product Owner

Yes, you can run the Maschine hardware in midi mode to control the FX on decks 3 and 4 and still loop and slice audio in TP2 on your laptop.

5. aweeeezy

sweeeeet, thanks for the info

6. Nanofox

Nanofox NI Product Owner

Sure thing, glad to help!

7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Unless I've misunderstood your plan, you seem to be under the impression that Maschine has hardware inputs and outputs... It doesn't. But as you're on a Mac, you can probably do the routing you want with Soundflower.

As for operating Maschine without seeing the software window, that's the beauty of it. Most of the time when I use Maschine (at home), I'm sat on the other side of the room to my computer and facing a different direction. :)

8. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

Having a second audio interface actually solves most of the problems of routing audio to and from Maschine and Traktor. If you have something like the Audio 2 DJ (which I do, so I'll use that as my example) I can tell Maschine to use that for outputting audio, which I run into Deck C or D on my S4. This way I can headphone cue the audio from Maschine, etc. Great for triggering samples when you want more than Traktor 2's 4 sample banks at immediate fingertips.

If you want to process, alter, re-edit and change the final signal coming off a track in Traktor, then you need an audio interface that has inputs and outputs, and there's a couple easy tricks to doing this that I just came across.

Any audio cue'd to the headphone can be = ta da - routed instead into an audio input on another interface (in fact, if you have one like my Presonus, it has headphone output as well, so I can still monitor the signal, even if I'm not recording it. Cue your signal you want to remix/chop/stutter/resample to the headphone cue (this would be on a deck that isn't playing live at the moment) then in Maschine, that will be your audio input. Your audio output will be the same as the prior example, routed to Deck C or D, as the processed signal from whatever you are doing in Maschine.

Now, the downside here is that you run into an issue where you can't headphone cue anything else while Maschine is processing the audio, or you will get that signal instead (including the cue mix, so leave that turned all the way right), but as far as pretty minimal routing, cable wise, and near-zero latency (with a good interface), you're reaching some fairly useful levels of workaround until NI allows their software to address multiple interfaces at once.

Its important to really watch your gain levels as the headphone out on the S4 is very, very loud, so you may want to use a limiter as a plugin on the master output from Maschine (or on the input source), as a just in case measure (Traktor also has a limiter that is I think on by default, but it never hurts to have both belt and suspenders in a case like this, in my opinion).

9. Nanofox

Nanofox NI Product Owner

If you don't have a extra sound card just use S4 sound card for TP2 and use ASIO4ALL drivers on your laptop sound card for Maschine. Then you can use a 1/8 stereo to RCA cable to route the laptop sound card to the line inputs of the S4.

10. Jeremy Hand

Jeremy Hand Forum Member

11. Nanofox

Nanofox NI Product Owner

LOL, I forgot you were on Mac so Core Audio Drivers should work the same!

12. aweeeezy

I actually was under the impression that Maschine has hardware ins and outs. How do i go about using this Soundflower to make Maschine work as i desire?

what about navigating through my library to select beats to tap out? i suppose you can prepare all this before a show.

I have a Presonus Firepod for my sound card, but now that i know Maschine doesn't have hardware ins and outs, i'm a little confused as to how to use it now with my setup...

Are you saying i should run audio for Decks A, B, and D out of the cue and into input 1 of my Presonus, then out the stereo cue (split with a Y cable so i can monitor with headphones) and have the other end go into Deck C? I guess next I'd have to go into Maschine's preferences and route Maschine's input from firepod's input 1 and the output to stereo cue?

Thanks for the tip.

13. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

No, unfortunately for some (though not me, I'm of the camp that prefers to have the audio interface choice open), it does not have a built-in audio interface a la S4.

Soundflower is essentially virtual cables. Either 2 channels or a 16 channel version that you can select just as you would a hardware audio interface. Or, as you're on a Mac, you can create an Aggregate Device using the I/O of a hardware interface and the Soundflower I/O. Then you can just choose these ins and outs as you would hardware ins and outs and route as you please.

Anything you add to the Maschine Library can be browsed and accessed from the controller. So yes, do it before hand and you'll be set for your set.

14. aweeeezy

15. aweeeezy

I have another question about routing Maschine with my Firepod. Ok, so is it possible to route Maschine's audio through output 2 of the Firepod (see diagram), and then route the audio of the vst instruments loaded into Maschine through output 1 so I can mix them separately?
    Setup1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.