1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Wavetables and Kontakt 6 - thoughts ?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Igneousflame, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Igneousflame

Igneousflame New Member

Hi,

Would like to ask people's opinions of K6 and it's wavetable integration, does anyone have experience of decent recent synths made for the wavetable feature or any NI / third party libraries that use it ?

I know a couple of the 'Play' libraries have a smattering of WT offerings but not much.
    I've tried importing wavetables into K6 but I find the results to be pretty samey - I may well be missing things here, but it seems that the feature was heralded as something significant when K6 came out and I can't see where NI may be developing it.

cheers

2. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Custom WT always rise ta lot of interest from users, but it is not really easy to get good results just by « random » drag and dropped or imported waveforms. Factory WT are often the result of careful editing. It’s the same as « drawing » waveforms. You can get results, but often they won’t be useful.

3. Igneousflame

Igneousflame New Member

Hi p1afff
    Yes thanks, your reply makes sense to me.

I have to say I've been somewhat underwhelmed with my experimentings - relative to (say) exploring the demo of Serum. I do a lot of sound design and am always looking out for new tools and techniques, so I'd like to be able to get some better results myself. The few available 3rd party K6/WT synths look interesting, but it would be the case of buying them to determine if I got on with them.

The other question I suppose is concerned with how NI may (or may not) develop WT things with K6.

cheers,

4. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

The fact that N.I tells us they will now focus more on software could be encouraging ?

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

IIRC Kontakt requires wavetables to contain frames with length of 2048 samples. Serum wavetables should work IIRC. There are a bunch of other freely available wavetables that could work with Kontakt's WT engine. Google around a bit, visit KvR, etc. :)

6. Igneousflame

Igneousflame New Member

EvilDragon
    Cheers, I have found lots of WTs that import fine. It's more my other thoughts I'm referring too.

Perhaps I just need to do some more work with them. Looking at Serum I can see how the WTs themselves are just the 'bare bones' for a lot of the presets there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

That's exactly true. You're not really "supposed to" use just raw WT sweeps with nothing else going on. I mean, you could, but it quickly becomes boring.

• Like Like x 1