Weird Dry/Wet behaviour in Dirt

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by lwj|localspace, Sep 12, 2018.

1. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

So I'm having this weird issue with Dirt, the behaviour of the dry/wet knob seems really off.

It's operating in A -> B mode, so afaik know the Mix knob should function as a dry wet control. But it seems really off.
    Dry is dry and wet is wet, but when it's turned about halfway, I get a really muffled, weak sound. Much more muffled than either the dry or the fully wet signal so to my mind it makes no sense.

2. lwj|localspace

No one's experienced this?

3. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I will give it a try tonight

4. lwj|localspace

Cool, thanks man!
    I'm not even sure it's a bug or wrong.. maybe I just don't know enough about how this particular distortion works.
    It is supposed to model some kind of analog behaviour, right? So maybe that's the behaviour. Still would like know how and why though!

5. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Like all analog device I guess, to play with the input volume as well has an influence on saturation results...

6. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

i experience the same. maybe the "muffled and weak sound", when not full dry/wet has something to do with phase-cancellation? i took it that way and stopped using anything but 100% wet. you can controll the fx-amount with - well - the amount knob ;-)

7. lwj|localspace

That might be it.. still weird, because it makes the dry/wet knob kind of pointless. I have better distortions when I need more settings, but I like Dirt for the simplicity, it's fun to automate.