Weirdo Maschine MK3 Quirk

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by telecode101, Nov 30, 2019.

1. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

I just had a really weird quirk.

Was working on a new idea from a few days ago. The project only had 1 group. A simple bare bones drum kit from the Machine factory expansion.

I load it up. I add a new Bass group and bass sound. I notice the colors on the pads aren't matching whats on the software application on screen. I keep looking to see if I messed anything up. Did't find anything.

I then continue to work. I start recording, same thing, the record botton on the hardware does not sync up or match whats on the software application -- but everything seems be working. I am able to record and the midi notes are being captured into the application.

I save everything. Close the application. turn off MK3. Unplug from USB. Plug back in. Turn MK3 on and load project up and problem seems to have gone away.

Very weird. Its been working flawlessly for last month that I have had it.

Anyone know if the MK3 hardware could be a little finicky in a basement dry environment? My studio is basically in the only place my wife allows me to have space -- the fuggin basement.

2. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

It works properly for me.

René

3. telecode101

hmm. it did it again. i will post the glitch

4. telecode101

oh well. a close project, turn off MK3 and turn back on and reopen fix it for now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

i have this allmost every time when i start maschine using MK3 and JAM together. then allmost allways the mk3 "has some sync problem". the buttons work and so on but the "lights / screens" just don't match what's happening in the software or on the JAM...a simple power off/on on the mk3 resolves it allways....(can happen after loading a new projekt too)...

not really nice as if you were performing live the "simple power on/off" on the mk3 has some impact on the playback (not a good one), even if you are using another interface...

6. telecode101

Interesting. In my case this only started happening recently.

I am starting to wonder if its the way I have the electrical setup in the studio.

I have a Mac whats plugged into a UPS. Then I have a power bar to which everything else is hooked up to. The way I use it is, I put the Mac sleep, then turn off the MK3 via power button onit and then turn off the powerbar which turns everything else off, except the Mac thats always plugged into the UPS. When I turn it all back in, I first wake the Mac, which sends power to the Jam and MK3 via USB, and then I turn on the powerbar which powers on everything includng the power adapter to the MK3, and then lastly turn on the MK3 via its power button.

What I can try to do is turn the power bar and MK3 on first, and then wake the Mac. See if that does anything different.

7. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Known issue since I purchased mk3 day one of release
    Restart mk3 is. Always the fix

8. telecode101

thanks, all.

so i tried it again today but this time I powered on the MK3 first and then i turned and woke everything else up afterwards. the issue did not happen.

i will keep trying this and see if thats the fix.

so let me confirm. the MK3 does not need to be plugged into the wall wart power adapter unless you want bright lights and you want to use the builti in audio interface. but it should still work without being plugged into the adapter it comes with. you just get slightly dimmer lights, right?

9. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

i never used the power adapter thing (didn't get one with my mk3) and the audio interface works perfectly fine without it.

10. telecode101

huh? mine came with a power adapter.

11. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

was an ebay buy (allmost brand new, 200€ less)...the seller told me he hadn't reveiced one (was probably a lie)...but i live fine without it, only times were i'd wish more "brightness" at the pads/screens is when i am outside in the sun/train...but then a power adaptor wouldn't help much as there's usuall no power outside in the greens :D

12. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Sort of similar thing just happened for me, the Pad LEDs and other hw stuff sort of got out of sync with the software, after i quit live and maschine the controller stays in a frozen state with half the pads lit. Never had this happened before. v2.9
    Power cycling the controller does fix it, no idea what steps it takes to reproduce though.

13. telecode101

@Rene.. I think it's time to bring in the big boyz from NI dev to look at this. :-(

the good news, at least i don't feel like my MK3 is failing if others are getting this .