Welcome to the new forum!

Discussion in 'NI Website and Forums' started by Keir @ NI, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

Hi,

As you may have noticed, we have recently upgraded to new and improved forum software. Along with general performance and security improvements, the new forums bring with them a host of new features such as alerts, a new editor (handy for cutting and pasting images), SoundCloud embeds, user avatars, post ratings, and a lot more.

Please use this thread to pass on your feedback and let us know if you spot any issues that need to be addressed.

Many thanks,
    The NI Team.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

I can't update my avatar, lack of access right it says.

3. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

When clicking on links from email notifications they do not work; message says file not found

4. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

I can't see a way to edit posts...

I wanted to add the following to the port above: "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

-----------------------------------

I've now found the edit button - you have to mouse over the lower part of your post to see it. Not very user friendly but it works.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. jackn2mpu

You're right. Also they Repl thingy in the post should really be more obvious and should really say Reply with quote without having to hover over it. Also the various items that do show when hovering over that aren't very readable; not enough contrast with the background and I'm on a color corrected monitor.

6. Keir @ NI

Thanks guys.

That should be OK now.

That's strange, please could you let me know the link?

Is this still occurring?

7. jackn2mpu

Keir:
    Here's the link I was talking about; this is just one of many from the old forum software that do not work.
    http://www.native-instruments.com/f...orrect-system-with-error-message&goto=newpost

Still can't edit posts once posted.
    Also there's no way to change a sig file. Can find nothing in my profile.
    Lastly for now - is there any way to get more contrast with some of the text and graphics? As it is now it's way too bright with no contrast.

8. Keir @ NI

These points have also been noted.

9. Dave Toast

Dave Toast New Member

I can't upload an avatar.

10. Keir @ NI

1. Can I check, when was that email sent? If it's an older email, the link won't work.
    2. You should be able to now.
    3. I'll change sig permissions this afternoon, but I'm going to be strict.

And thanks for the feedback on the visuals, I'm passing it on.

11. jackn2mpu

That email was sent February 24 2014. If the old links don't work people are going to get frustrated and will have to try and find the thread in the new software.
    Thanks for the edit change.
    I don't understand what you mean by being strict with sig file permissions. Are you talking about what can or can't be in them and size or what? Like I said we can't even change our sig files as there's nothing in the profile pages that will allow us to do so.
    Anything that can be done to make the forum more readable than it currently is is welcome.

Thanks much for the quick responses and work.

12. jackn2mpu

Just lost the ability to get to my profile to do any edits; wanted to add an avatar.

edit for additional: now I can't even find a way to log out; I had to quit Firefox to log out. Not good.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  13. nightspan

nightspan Forum Member

Wanted to check which email address I used here, but either I can't find it, or it's in the Personal Details section, which I can't access, get this msg: "NI Support Forum - Error You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

I doubt it's right that I'm not supposed to be able to see that section of my own profile.
    Is that where my email address is?

14. jackn2mpu

You're not the only one that can't access their profile info to make changes. I don't think this software is ready for prime time use. What browser are you on? Firefox 26 here; I hate Safari and stay away from it (I'm on a Mac).

15. Keir @ NI

Links from the old forum software will not work.

Yes, by 'being strict with signature permissions' I mean we won't allow walls of text or images in signatures.

You should be able to edit your profile and upload an avatar, how far can you get and what happens?

What happens if you try and use the 'log out' feature accessed via the drop down from your forum name at the top of the page?

This should be OK now.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

@jackn2mpu

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. Although we've looked at this system, back and forth up and down, I think we've become blind to a lot of things. LOL!:)

About the Reply with quote. In the new software, Xenforo, the only way to reply to another person's post is with a quote. So, no need to make it more clear really. In the not-too-far-off future, the forum will also be upgraded to Xenforo 1.3.0 and you'll be able to do multiple quoting.

If you also noticed, there is tag referencing, which I did with you in this post. You can call certain users attention to your post that way. Just start typing in a username after the "@". Like

upload_2014-2-26_15-56-33.png

Please keep up the feedback.:) It will help us make the forum experience the best it can be.

Scott

17. scamo

Also, FYI to everyone! My name is Scott (aka "scamo") your friendly neighborhood forum guru here. I've been helping out NI with this migration. Sorry it didn't go as smooth as we would have liked. We are still ironing out some kinks.

Be that as it may, this new forum is one of the top class softwares out on the market and as you get to use it more and more, you'll begin to realize why.

Just as a quick info, above an beyong the tag referencing I mentioned above, here are some more of the nitty gritty new things to check out.:)

Alerts. When people answer to your posts, quotes your post, writes on your profile page or when you get awards, etc, you get shown an alert at the top of the page.

upload_2014-2-26_16-37-54.png upload_2014-2-26_16-33-14.png

The new editor. Just try it out! Especially the cut and paste feature for images.

Also try adding a Soundcloud link. It automatically reverts to the Soundcloud embed widget like below!

upload_2014-2-26_16-33-25.png

And try the file uploads! Quick and dirty now.;)

upload_2014-2-26_16-33-54.png

The new private conversations. The system is a bit more modern and a lot more fun!:)

upload_2014-2-26_16-34-17.png
    Try adding people to the conversation!

A quick pulldown for your profile and settings controls!

upload_2014-2-26_16-34-44.png

Post ratings! Add a rating to posts in a whole new way!

upload_2014-2-26_16-34-59.png

And a whole lot more!!!

Oh, and have some fun with the new smilies too!:);)

Scott

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. jackn2mpu

Thanks for the clarification on sig file limits - they're needed.

My forum name does not appear at the top of the page. It did the first couple of times I logged on to the forum my name was up there (and I could logout) and then after I made a couple of changes (one of the changes was to go from the default graphics to the other look - could this be part of the issue? If it is could you switch me back to the default graphics profile?) to my profile when I went back to the forum my name was not there. And there is still no name up there and no way to get to my profile to edit. If I click on what would be my avatar (but is now a generic icon) up comes a little window with some stuff about me and a hyperlink to go to my profile but nothing is editable. There is no logout feature available.

I use Firefox 26 on my Mac Mini running OSX 10.6.8 (my web and Photoshop machine).

• Like Like x 1
  19. scamo

Hey Jack. Can you make a screen of what you are seeing please?

Edit. Nevermind. Keir took care of it.:) You should be back to the new design. If not, let us know.

Scott

• Like Like x 1
  20. Keir @ NI

I think that may have been the issue.

You should now be able to access your profile info and also upload a new avatar. Please let us know how you get on.