1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Well, the Z2 Kinda Sux

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z2' started by f33, Nov 19, 2012.

1. f33

f33 Forum Member

I mean, the paint, the crossfader and the finisher, the complete breakdown.

so i was at the club last night, first time out with the mixer, but i bought it the day it came out, so i have been using it extensively.

Gig is rolling along, and the power to the mixer cuts off, of course with most mixers, the power would come back on and keep playing. Not with this little guy. I guess i would have had to reboot the traktor, but it was 150, so i just put on the house music.

Ill stick with the djm 800.

nice try, ni, rane/pioneer still rules your a$$... keep making controllers, those are really cool.

2. thoms

thoms NI Product Owner

What was 150?

And I just tried to unplug my mixer while playing. It wasnt any more trouble to get all up and running than to restart Traktor and the Z2.... I concider this to be perfectly normal.

The same will happen when using any digitalsystem, be it Traktor, Mixvibes or Serato.
    But by all means stick to what you like best.

3. brocklambert

brocklambert Forum Member

I'd say your real problem is... why are you losing power during a set?

4. f33

f33 Forum Member

it was 1:50 am, bar closed at 2.

the power thing was weird, because it was on a power strip and i just bumped the base of the power chord, maybe i didnt plug it into the back tight enough. either way, power goes off occasionally for whatever reason, and to have to reboot the entire app is kinda ridic especially when you are staring at the computer and the mixer is already on and the app is on. its frustrating. i like the mixer for the most part.

the paint issue is kinda ridiculous though. as well as the crossfader. i knew i shoulda waited.

5. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

Yeah, I've been the Early Adopter/BETA Tester for faaaar too many products in the past. I'm really glad I waited! I'm sure they'll iron out all these issues within a month or two, then I'll pull the trigger on one.

6. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

I am really happy with this z2

I use it with maschine and traktor. It is smooth, takes away à lot of cables, not too big but many integrated traktor possibilities. I don't care problems with paint and i have no problems with faders. (my first z2 had à problem with one fader.)

But this can happen.

And of there are some problems, then people start shouting on this forum. I think not too many people àre complaining, so probably the amount of people having problems is not too big

7. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

Sure plugging your gear into a power strip and then kicking that power strip are perfectly valid reasons to say the mixer kinda sux when the power goes out.

I just now tested this to see what the behavior would be. When there was a track playing I unplugged the power cord from the back of the mixer. The track kept playing and Traktor switched my audio output to my computer speakers. When I plugged the mixer back in Traktor automatically switched back to the Z2 for the audio interface and everything worked as it should.

8. f33

f33 Forum Member

i said it kinda sux, because the concept is there, but there are clearly issues.

like black avenger said, were basically the beta testers for NI and i realize that. but simple things like paint coming off, thats just ****. anyone that used it for over a couple of hours could see that. Is it the end of the world, no, but is it surprisingly crappy, yes.

as far, as my problem, with the mixer shutting off, i dont know what happened. Ive play around 200 gigs a year for the last 5-6 years, so i know to be patient and not freak out. So i was, tried everything but rebooting trakto. it didn't work. im not lying or have no reason too.

9. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

so at the end it's only the paint?

10. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

Which NI will fix for free with new faceplates as soon as they get some stock.

11. jam-bar

jam-bar New Member

I know the faceplate paint coming off is a minor issue but how does getting a new faceplate from NI remedy the problem when the result will be the same? Sounds like they need to come out with a newer resilient faceplate.

12. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

You're assuming they're not going to fix the paint issue before sending out new ones, I'm assuming they will. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

13. f33

f33 Forum Member

well, the xfader came. definitely much better than the first. shipped free and came in 1 wk.

I guess overall, i said it kinda sux, because, its really close to being really almost perfect(no mixer is perfect).

pros
    like the layout and mixer out options
    usb hubs are genius and work with ssl (like using the hub for an x1 instead of having to plug into your comp)
    sounds good in traktor

cons
    dealing with a xfader issue
    decals wearing off
    sounds avg at best outside of traktor, i would say a little flat, although tsp is a little hyped in the mids and highs, so maybe that was already thought out.

good little mixer for the price, and after all the negatives that i had heard about customer service, they were very nice, and quick on sending the fader.

now, i need a new face plate.

14. thoms

thoms NI Product Owner

And you say this on what grounds? Based on measurments or by your own ears? Cause my impression is that it sounds excellent.

15. Cyber Optik

Cyber Optik New Member

Same paint problem here. After to use Z2 twice, the paint start to coming off.

Sad reality.