We're joining forces with iZotope - find out what that means

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt @ NI, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

Mhm, I have license for Ozone 9 although recently I’m using T-Racks more. Perhaps “mastering” section in Maschine software in the future?

Interesting times (just please keep letting me buy my software in the future) :cool::)

• Like Like x 3
  2. nightjar

nightjar NI Product Owner

Bringing iZotope's strength in spectral analysis and machine learning may bring some fantastic things to library tagging and searching. And future possibilities in how instrumentation arrangement can interact using these technologies is quite exciting.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Ian_Fu

Ian_Fu NI Product Owner

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2
  5. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

The moment when "capital firms" come into play you know it's the beginning of the end (for us customers anyway).

The interview sounds good IMO, also because it seems they acknowledge NI as the "superior power" (just to keep in sync with the buzz words in the article). But then again, NI is also owned by an investment firm and thus...

If those parent companies can focus on long term plans vs. a quick cash grab then I think something awesome can come from this. I still truly believe that, also considering the potential of both companies. But if this is what I think it might be: an investment firms cash grab then... I'm not too sure this is going to end well.

I say this because.... (quote):

SO that's why iZotope thinks it knows my entire music score after only analyzing several seconds of it (no more than 30) and then uses that to "master" my entire score and as a result I end up with distortion...

Now don't get me wrong here: I love the theoretical potential, I even believe that this is going to work (yes... iZotope is doing subscriptions. Unlike Reason Studios though (= another company under the regime of an investment firm) they don't try to push it down our throates (I say 'our' because I am a happy iZopotope customer)). Reason Studios tried to burry the option for perpetual purchases (and came around from that... "strange") whereas iZotope advertised their subscription models but never shoved it down our throates, definitely not like Reason Studios.

Oh, it gets better!

When I go to the iZotope website I can "shop deals", as a result I land up here.Wait!? Where are the subscriptions?!!

Oh right.. they are below the page, scroll down and you get to see them. You know, below the (perpetual) purchases? I wonder why that would be...

Hmm, maybe... just maybe.... they also saw the introduction for Reason+ (= Reason Studio's subscription model introduction)? Before you critisize me for linking to a potential competitor I'd like to ask you to check those ratings first. 412 upvotes vs. 1.5 thousand downvotes. To provide some much needed context here: their previous instrument introduction (7 months ago) grossed 670 likes vs. 13 dislikes.

I'm an investor myself so to speak. Generally speaking 70% picks up losses from CFD trading and here I am... writing up profits. And that's not mentioning my regular portfolio consisting of stocks and obligations.

Not every investment firm is the same and while the emphasis is obviously on money, no doubt, we still have several approaches; those which immediately stand out are long term vs. short term. I don't want to keep my CFD portfolio any longer than I have to (it'll cost me a fee) but I gladly go there (and I have!) when it means more profit! And there are also firms who truly have the best in store for the companies they invest in. Not always, sure, but..

Solely based on what I shared above, even though I don't know anything, I'll take iZotope over Reason Studios any day of the week. That's not coming from an investor but an audio nut: a company which sells me stuff and provides me with an optional subscription vs. a company which tries to make me believe that a subscription gets me more value than a single purchase?

Yeah right...

I honestly still believe that this joint venture can work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

We must have a different iZotope we go to because when I go the first thing they try to sell me is a subscription :D

They offer me loyalty upgrades that don't actually mention a price without me putting things in a cart.......
    It also offers to let me upgrade products I already own to the very same products I already own.o_O

And so it's easy to see why there's such immense love recently for iZotope as witnessed on the Gearspace Forums and elsewhere.

Seriously, even if it was 50% off the $24.99 a month they want to helpfully alleviate me of, for that I would be paying to use stuff, the majority of which I already own. Now I admit that I'm obviously missing the bargain of a lifetime here and will no doubt continue to flood the household with tears shed in post realisation angst when I realise just what I missed, but maybe I'll risk that, and instead just not ever buy anything from them again.:D

I have MPS3 and was going to upgrade to MPS4 until they started with their current shenanigans and thought... Why put money into someone who is looking very much to be going Subscription Only?... that's not a good idea really is it.......................:eek::p

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I'm curious about what will it come (and when) from this merging but my gut says "cruise speed" will be get maybe too late (regards to what's happening in the whole industry with Apple new silicon...)

And that's all will say. I don't want to talk about it anymore, just leave this "kilroy was here".

xD

8. DBMGP

DBMGP New Member

Buggy product portal and plugins, unjustified CPU hunger, bloated, ugly, needlessly convoluted interfaces and really nothing special at all in terms of actual sound or functionality.
    Top notch spam artists, plus up to now on constant sales campaign that made you wonder how much their products would actually be worth, those are my humble experiences with iZotope.
    Now apparently also part of the great subscription model plague.

Are these really the kind of guys NI wants to choose to hang around with?

Why not try and team up with more companies like U-He, who actually make useful, good sounding, beautiful and stable tools. Audiothing comes to mind as an example. Or how about a partnership with dare I say Ableton, that would benefit both companies and their customers greatly? Silly, I know!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

Yes!

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. nightjar

nightjar NI Product Owner

A big thumbs up from me too for iZotope as a partner. Great products and smart choice for how the strengths of these two companies are complimentary. Looking forward to the creative things ahead!

• Like Like x 1
  11. DBMGP

DBMGP New Member

Just asking. You do you, fine with me. :D
    Finally updated to 13 a couple of days ago and actually quite liking it, Super 8 definitely a keeper. Then this happens. Oh well.

12. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

Very loaded question and definitely an interesting choice as your very first post in this community :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  13. DBMGP

DBMGP New Member

Well I've been a user of NI products for almost twenty years and never felt the need to post on this forum.
    Seems I'm very much alone with my aversion towards iZotope though, but still I think you'll want to know that there are a few of your customers that are indifferent or, as in my case, even unhappy with this announcement, hence me listing a couple of reasons as well.

But, don't worry, I'm not here to stay and I don't mind not being missed. Stay safe and take care!

14. K-Tone

K-Tone NI Product Owner

All I want from you both is continuing devleopment for Iris. Please don't let this unique instrument die on us. So hey Native Instruments! Its up to you guys to push Izotope to continue this!!

15. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

And Vocalsynth

16. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

What does iZoptope joining NI have to do with your purchase of Komplete?

No comprende.