1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

what classifies different types of HOUSE MUSIC ?

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by migsk8, Oct 26, 2012.

1. migsk8

migsk8 Forum Member

im trying to identify the music in my library a little bit better and i know i have different types of house music i just want to break them up into different types of folders. what i want to know is what are tall tale signs of certain types of house.

progressive house-buildups with bpm between 126-132

deep house- early 90's type and very soulful, bpm between 119-125

regular house - around 126-130bpm with no buildups and less electronic sounding bass

funk house- 120-125bpm sounds like 70's funk

electro house- ? idk what specifically classifies something as electro house ?

Dirty Dutch- im even more confused about this ?

Tech house ? idk either, someone explain this to me.

also are the ones i wrote correct ?

2. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

Very much open to interpretation.. there's no standard.
    Deep House does not have to be soulful, for example.

3. migsk8

migsk8 Forum Member

are there specs for deep house ?

4. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

Exactly. Some of the categorizations I see on beatport I would not agree with. Seems to me that maybe the artists/remixers decide where they want there tracks to be? For example some of the stuff I see in the indie/nu-disco category doesn't belong there IMO.

Agreed that deep doesn't have to be soulful, but the bpm range is accurate. It usually does have a more classic-type beat structure. When I think deep house, I think of someone like Sharam Jey. Electro house is similar to progressive, but it's more synthy, like those buzzy type synths. Tech house has like the repetitive techno-like elements, when I think tech-house, I think of the monotonous sound of machinery running lol.

5. oldgit

oldgit NI Product Owner

And progressive now seems to be more commercial eg Guettaish or Avicii

6. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

there's this good ****. ...and there is that other ****...

7. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

Doin ya thang, malzfreund? :cool:

8. KirkKenneth

KirkKenneth Forum Member

Sometimes the labels of what you read on DJ pools are incorrect. They say it's house but it's not. One really has to have a good ear to determine which is which.

9. rjrrmjet

rjrrmjet NI Product Owner

Sadly enough with places like Beatport labeling tracks genres completely wrong, it's going to be a lot harder for people new to the music to actually understand and or determine genres correctly.

****, I've got some of the most ball tearing "Chill Out" and "Deep House" records ever released. They've gotta stop letting the work experience kids tag records I reckon...

10. KirkKenneth

KirkKenneth Forum Member

I have been DJing for almost three years and I have to admit the sub-genres of House still confuse me.