What do I do with NI downloads?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by scorwitz, May 7, 2019.

1. scorwitz

scorwitz New Member

Hello,

Please forgive me if this request is too basic. I'm a beginner, using Logic, and although I've learned a ton already from the vast array of tutorials and books out there, I can't seem to find a targeted answer to my question regarding Native Instruments. I've tried contacting customer support three times and only received basic canned replies that pointed me to places I've already been for answers.

I purchased an A61 Komplete Keyboard and it came with sounds and other things that I truly have no idea how to use. I can open them up and play around with sounds but I'm having troubles forming a concept of how to use them in conjunction with Logic or even on their own.

Could anyone provide a high-level overview based on my list of registered products?

KOMPLETE KONTROL A61 HW
    KOMPLETE KONTROL A-SERIES
    Maschine 2 Essentials Application for A-SERIES Keyboards
    Maschine 2 Factory Selection
    Native browser preview library.
    Also I believe I have Reaktor?

2. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

Hey Scorwitz,
    you bought an A61 and don't know how to use it? :p

If I understand you right, you want to know how the software works with Logic?

You wrote that you are getting sounds of it, that's a beginning. May you want get some basic information how to use logic and virtual instruments!

Or do you mean how to arrange a song in its specific parts and progression? Music-theory?

Please give us some more informations on your demand!

3. scorwitz

scorwitz New Member

I mean when I open say Reaktor or Maschine or whatever I have and get all these wonderful sounds, am I looking at a synth, a saw? One of them seems to arrange things into sequences?

Then once I'm in Logic, and I try to load on of the Native things as an instrument, nothin happens and the keyboard makes no sound at all.

Meanwhile I get an email every other day pushing products from NI. Why would I ever buy any of them off I can't use then and they won't help me?

4. Old Mike

It seems that you need basic knowledge how to setup your daw for using instruments.

You would need to setup your keyboard as a midi controller in logic. When you load an instrument in logic, the midi input for this instrument has to be your a61.

This of course only works, if the output of logic is routed to monitors or headphones. Otherwise you won't here anything.

Your statement seems very harsh. Every programm like Maschine, Komplete Kontrol, Reaktor, etc. comes with a manual. It is up to you to understand what each app is made for. No one can do this for you.

I see it this way: If I buy a car, the seller won't teach me how to drive. He provides me the car and the manual, not a drivers licence.

I highly recommend you to get into basic things, like how Logic works, virtual instruments, how they work, etc. It is up to you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. scorwitz

scorwitz New Member

I see it this way. If people read every word of every manual these forums wouldn't exist. If you can't help me, telling me to figure it out for myself isn't going to help, and no, nothing has a manual anymore. I don't even think I have full versions of anything.

If there is anyone who there willing and ABLE to synthesize their knowledge of NI products, perhaps even remembering a time before they knew what they now know, who would be willing to answer me, I'd appreciate it. It's not like I haven't sent a couple of MONTHS trying to get a handle on it myself. I know nobody is an expertise couple of months, but it only took a handful of videos to understand the concept of what a DAW can do, eventhough I'll be spending a decade uncovering everything it can do.

So if your advice will be to Google it, don't bother wasting your time. I thought this might be better than the poor NI customer support I've received so far.

6. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Perhaps watch some of the videos on youtube which show folks using virtual instruments in logic. Apple has a massive amount of documentation on how to use logic. One easy way to wrangle using native instruments with your keyboard is to load komplete kontrol on a track in logic, then load a sound or instrument in komplete kontrol, which is like a wrapper connecting the keyboard to native instruments in logic with realtime Control. You can record whatever you play in komplete kontrol. Youtube is best way to learn this stuff now.

7. Old Mike

I tried to really help you, but you have to be precise in your demands.
    You obviously don't know the absolute basics about what you have bought. My advice was to begin at the start. With information about: What is an Instrument, what a daw, how to use it, to set it up, etc.
    The "poor support" can't do, what is YOUR responsibility. Get to know basics of making music on a PC, in logic, with native instruments.

If to Google something or watch tutorial on YouTube is no option for you, if you want everything to be served on a golden plate, then you are wrong here. If you ask polite and precise, people will help you.

With this type of attitude, I suppose nobody is going to help you. You seem insulted for nothing.

And yes, I wont waste my time anymore with this. Good luck.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. scorwitz

scorwitz New Member

Thank you Simchris! That makes sense to me and I appreciate your taking the time to actually craft an answer. I have definitely been able to find a lot of info on loading NI sounds as instruments and I get the concept. Are you able to possibly break down what the NI products do on their own?

For instance, a one sentence brief summary if someone asked me what Logic was would be: Logic is a Digital Audio Workstation which is a program that allows you to record software instruments and live audio and then manipulate the input by rearranging it and changing it's sound.

Old Mike, how would one craft a specific question about Logic if the didn't even know this? Every YouTube video I watch about a NI products shows people using it, not explaining what it IS. Pardon me for wanting an explanation instead of a tutorial.

9. Old Mike

I really do not want to offend you. You wrote that you have watched a lot of videos, read a lot of books. That's fine and the way to go.

May you are a bit overhelmed, which one can easily get by the massive amount of data and information.

Again, I tried to explain you above to load an instrument in logic. Then to get sure to have your keyboard setup as a midi-controller in logic.

You then should be able to choose this as the input for your track with the instrument.
    You have to get sure that you chose your main output of your interface e.g. output1, output2 that must be connected to your monitors or headphones. You should now hear some tones.

https://support.native-instruments....User-Manual-of-my-Native-Instruments-Product-

"Product manuals can be found on most product pages or after product installation in the program folder on your computer."

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210292685

It is not difficult to find!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

I would start on Apple's official support site for LOGIC:
    https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/resources/

Download manual here:
    https://support.apple.com/logic-pro

Totally start with the user guide
    https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4/

note in user guide on left side "
    Get started with Logic Pro"

11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I'm autoditact since '83. Here my actual music folder
    007 Orbit Zone
    Reaktor: Emscher, Racks, Form, Akkord, OreKore, Razor
    HG Fortune: Arracis Gold
    and one piece of Field Recording
    https://archive.org/details/007OrbitZone

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  13. Old Mike

Yeah, I learned everything by myself, too. Just as a hobby, not with such an impressive portfolio like you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner