1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What does your studio look like?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Lotuz, Mar 8, 2009.

1. bobbyduracel

bobbyduracel NI Product Owner

Basically I used to have 2 areas. One was the double Technics, Pioneer 909, one KRK RP8 monitor, a Macbook, and TS running via the Audio8 dj card. This whole thing was output into the other room, with my iMac running logic and output sound through a Toneport UX2 card. The whole mess recorded and output on a pair of RP8s with the KRK 10 subwoofer.

That iMac generally stayed in the living room and played iTunes when not recording Dj sets.

Over time we moved to a larger place and now I have the iMac on a table next to the turntable TS Pro setup, with all 3 KRK monitors in one spot. THe third speaker is still at right ear level 1 foot from teh tables, so monitoring is a breeze. I also have one big L setup, and until yesterday the Toneport and everthing was still configured as old ways. I have a padkontrol and a K25 that are swapped out for the larger keys when travel sessions come up.

I added Maschine AND my Korg Zero 8 with Ableton 7 this past week or two, so there is a more recent shot that shows that. In the past I had to run my two machines and hardware synths/sampler into a behringer line mixer 12 channel, which sits under that sampler in some of the pics. As of this past day the zero 8 has eliminated the Behringer mixer, the Audio 8 dj is in a bag for now, and Maschine's controller has bypassed the Padkontrol.

I put the 909 out of the way for now as I am trying to get this setup down to just one laptop, therefore eliminating that 20: iMac. I think for now it'll sit there with the toneport and I'll use that CPU and attached 2 tb worth of storage to record my audio. I dunno guys. It's an addiction.

I move things around a lot. The shot with the piano, kore controller, and maschine all in the air by my hands is most recent. I'm trying to emulate the live environment so it's less of a transition when gigs arise.

I routed everything into the line mixer, and ran that into the input of hte toneport. I output the Softsynth stuff from the iMac in Logic into the line input of that same mixer which allowed me to split the output between the monitors and/or the booth speaker (by the decks). I can then output software into booth while hearing all audio and recording ONLY the external stuff back into the iMac to the sequencer. It was all hardware based, but it worked. The limit was that I only had ONE input to the imac for 7 different audio signals. The firewire 5 stereo input cards were 500, so I saved up to just get the Zero 8 for a grand instead. here goes!

The list is ongoing, but includes:
    MicroKorg
    Roland SH-32
    Roland SP-555
    Remote ZERO SL
    Roland A-37
    Korg K25/Padkontrol
    Behringer 12 channel line mixer
    Maschine
    Kore 2
    Logic 8/Live 7/Melodyne/Reason 4
    Pioneer DJM 909, Mackie D2 w/firewire
    Technics 1210x2, Shure whitelabels
    KRK RP8 x3, RP10 Sub
    Audio 8 dj, Toneport UX2, Korg Zero 8
    20' iMac 2.0 core duo, macbook 2.16 core 2 duo.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but it's fun to type all that out!

(I smell a garage sale in my future). Adding the Zero and Maschine really turned a lot of my crazy routing into a bag of unnecessary stuff.

wow.

Attached Files:

2. protoolie

protoolie New Member

nice desk Navy, i've been looking for a a corner desk like that, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking?

3. zonco

zonco Forum Member

I've got my own programmer, started with analog synths at 6 months an now at 14 months handles the studio as Timbaland... Only minimal techno though!

Sold most analog gear a few years ago (miss the MS-20, and sometimes the Voyager) to use only software, but I could´t live without my knobs and sliders. Now I try to have a small but well integrated setup which is the one I like best so far. Now it´s used mainly for minimal, but some electronic pop and stuff has also been made.

Virus TI desktop, Prophet 08, SH-101, Euphonix MC-Mix, Maschine, NS-10s that sounds boring but I've used them for 15 years, Shure SM-7b, Yamaha digital piano, a few guitars and som stuff in the drawers. And the Macbook running Logic and sometimes Live.

Attached Files:

4. zonco

zonco Forum Member

bobbyduracel: I see we have the same comuter and both running Logic and Live. Only difference is that you´ve got a 7200 rpm disk. Do you have any problems with overload in Logic so it stops playing, and if so, has it improved with the faster drive? I´m having a 250 GB 5400 rpm drive, but have my audio on a 7200 rpm firewire drive. Lots of lockups though, so I¨m looking for a solution...

5. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

Hey zonco, this is what i call a sexy setup :)

6. Chilleddreams

Chilleddreams Forum Member

Here's my bedroom studio setup. (in fact it's the living room) :)

Usually there's also a monitor on the side board between the turntables (when I use Traktor Scratch). Main sequencer is Ableton Live. The Electribe is MIDI synced to sequencer. Both Audio outs from the Electribe go through Ableton (as 'external instrument'). Received my Maschine just yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. alexbuga

alexbuga NI Product Owner

I see you thought like me to use a USB numpad as a clip launcher :D

8. Chilleddreams

My USB numpad is for controlling loops and cue points in Traktor Pro. Custom labeled and sealed with Tesa[tm] tape. :cool:

Attached Files:

9. alexbuga

Nice dude :D
    I was thinking of sticking duck tape to my wireless aluminum keyboard from my iMac. And make it look like a midi keyboard for using it in Ableton :D

10. Chilleddreams

You might as well attach a belt and use it as a wireless Ableton keytar on stage ;)

11. alexbuga

You'll laugh, but I actually used it to play an online game similar to Guitar Hero... I wanted to feel what's so damn special about that stupid game. Nothing :p

Probably the fact that I come from a guitar background doesn't make me think it's special, but someone who's dreaming to become a guitar superstar will find it cooler than me...

Yeah.. I think we're offtopic-ing :D

12. zonco

zonco Forum Member

Thanks, yeah I like it too. A bit more time to use it would be nice though.

13. protoolie

protoolie New Member

can anybody tell where to get a desk like this one?

looking for a new desk and i like this one and the one navygate has in a earlier post on this thread...

can anyone send me a link where i could find either of these 2 desk and or some thats similar?

14. bobbyduracel

I have experienced trouble with Logic. Actually i think it's a combination of factors. For one, the sound card makes a huge difference. For two the speed of the drive has shown to be an issue as well. I noticed an improvement over the old drive, but honestly the biggest two things I have done in the past few months to stabilize everything were switching my macbook for a core 2 duo processor (instead of the old 2.0 core duo), and swapping from my toneport (on imac) to the Zero 8 with firewire.

Most of my issues were related to sound card/latency/CPU with logic.

I have been using ableton for the past week (since the Zero 8 arrived) and I've been able to record arm 5 instances of Kore, Maschine, and a couple of audio tracks on my laptop WITHOUT THE SOUNDCARD even plugged in and it's 100% more stable than last month when I tried even that feat in Logic on my core duo iMac.

I dunno what combo did it, but I have an external firewire drive for files chained into my Zero 8 and all of that is connected to this core 2 running ableton with TS Pro and all sorts of plugins and it's awesome.

I'm guessing Logic is really aimed at ppl with 8 cores and 8+ gigs of RAM, as it's an awesome DAW capable of insane post production.

I'm going to keep it around to "polish" the tracks that are actually worthy of the extra time, but otherwise I'm using Ableton for the rest.

Short answer? It'll help, but it's not going to solve your problem. What machine are you running and are you monitoring you CPU when this occurs? Also, what is your sound card?

15. bobbyduracel

You said it man... You said it.

16. Ilajide

Ilajide New Member

Liking this setup:D
    ---

NOW THIS IS THE ****! LOL
    ---

Man....I just started building up my studio but mines should look like this soon....i just need a couple more $$$
    ---

Lmao...@ the superproducer/baby. Nice setup man!
    ---
    YO LOTUZ! Hey man, how much was that Midi Keyboard? (that's what it's called right?) I've been told that I need one to "open my sound" But I really don't know what kind to get. And i'm trying to spend as less $$$ as possible because I just blew what could have been my rent, on the Maschine...lol

17. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Thanks! :cool: I feel with Maschine I'm getting close to my ideal set-up. Maybe I'll add a Behringer BCF2000 again to control the Cubase mixer. I can do the same with the Maschine controller in Mackie Control mode, but the BCF2000 is more intuitive for this purpose.

The Axiom 25 is not that expensive anymore. You can get it new for less than $200. I like the keys, the pads and the rugged feel of the keyboard, but the rotary encoder knobs turn in little steps (click click click) and that's a pity. I probably won't use those knobs anymore now that I have the Maschine controller.

18. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Impulsive buyer? Who me? :eek:

Attached Files:

19. pk24

pk24 New Member

Hey, protoolie, mine is completely selfmade. I have about 5 metres in my office. I just put some roof beams from wall to wall, some wooden boards and finally laminate on it. The rack under the table was made for special hight, the borad you can pull out is assembled with drawer rails.

Just too simple, since i didn't find anything I was satisfied with. I thought about this one here http://www.thomann.de/gb/studiorta_producer_station.htm - but i just need my table to be at least 1 metre in depth and a little bit higher than normal. I also like to sprawl my feet ;-)

20. zonco

zonco Forum Member

Thanks for your answer. It seems like theese problems with logic are common. A shame really, ´cause I love the program. I´ve been using live a bit more too for that reason, but though it has it´s good sides and is totally stable it´s also quite limited compared to logic. I think I will have to struggle with logic in the future, and maybe try to see if I get any improvement with a faster drive. Also it will be interesting to see if there is a new logic version out for snow leopard, that could potentially be a lot more powerful. It might need a new mac of course... At the moment I´m running on a black C2D macbook, 2,0. I have a Fireface 400 interface, which should be more or less optimal. I tried a TC konnekt 24 interface before, but then the system was really unstable. I think I will have to live with the situation as it is now for a while, maybe start projects with Maschine - I love it.