1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

what is the best method for non destructive time stretching?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by StarSMASH, Feb 24, 2020.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

is it just the nature of audio to distort and present artifacts especially when you stretch it to make it slower? What is the least non destructive way to do this that preserves the audio better than maschine?

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes. If you stick to small changes results are usually decent but if you over do it then it will naturally sound like poop, it sort of depends a lot on what you're trying to stretch too.

Some time-stretching algorithms are better than others tho, some are designed for drums or percussion while others for instruments or textures / pads, vocals, etc... DAW's usually have more algorithm options than Maschine, Ableton has about 5 options and sounds pretty good to me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DynaMaltee

DynaMaltee NI Product Owner

"is it just the nature of audio to distort and present artifacts"...

That's why the real time algorithms in Ableton should be chosen for the right thing. For example the beat stretch algorithm doesn't distort the audio at all. It detects the transients and just "fills the gaps" between the audio events when making it slower. So it is great for beats but not so for vocals. Complex Pro is great for vocals, can shift the formant and also distortion is avoided. But it needs more CPU recources. I also like the way stretching is implemented in Ableton because, like many things in Ableton, it is easy to find and easy to use.

In my opinion the real time stretch algorithms implemented in Cubase have also a VERY high quality. And there are really a lot to choose from. The same applies for Cubase's build-in Vari Audio pitch correction. The problem is, many People don't know they even exist there...:D

4. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Try Serato Sample. There's even a free LE version for owners of Novation products.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StarSMASH

Thanks guys. I've been using logics time stretch but am getting too many artifacts, especially since I'm already stripping the vocals in RX7. It definitely sucks for vocals, or maybe I have to alter my stretch engine settings.

6. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I use Ableton for that. If there is something specific that I want to stretch, I'll do it in Live, and then bounce that audio to a different track. Then, it's just a matter of taking that newly bounced audio and dragging it in to Maschine. I usually just keep the folder that contains that audio minimized so that as soon as it's bounced, I can open it and move the audio file right away. I know that this solution is useless for someone who doesn't have Ableton Live, but for me personally, Live has the EASIEST approach to time stretching, especially when you consider the ease at which you can move and manipulate warp markers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

If you have kontakt there is 4 time stretching algorithm to choose from and they do a good job. Serato sample also have a very good algorithm, and indeed Ableton is very good. There is also third party freebies dedicated to timestretching but they are standalone software, still they can be very advanced in time stretching applications

• Like Like x 1
  8. StarSMASH

yea it gets annoying opening up your samples folder constantly. better to have it buried underneath ten other windows :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. StarSMASH

i didn't know you can time stretch in kontakt. I'll have to take a look. i hope it's better than maschines sampler.

10. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Much much better

• Like Like x 1