1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

What is the correct way to save samples?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by Young Blew, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Young Blew

Young Blew NI Product Owner

What's up NI fam. I'm having trouble saving samples correctly. This is a very long post, so I apologize in advance, but I really would appreciate some help.

Let me start by saying, I'm an Emcee, not a Producer, D.J. or even a beat maker.
    [Back story always helps, so here it is]
    I have have been around studios since my twenties, I am very familiar with what the TR 808, SP1200, ASR 10, and MPC are; Hell, even a lot of the lesser known Boss & Alesis machines. I've never produced anything on them my self, but I have seen it done many, many times. I've always had the privilege of being around session players and friends that were a lot more musically inclined than me, so I would just pitch my idea, and boom, we had a song.
    A few months ago I bought Maschine Studio, it looked so dope and intuitive, I figured it would give even a rookie like me a platform to at least sketch out rough ideas, to take to the lab for a real producer to help me form into a song. After watching several tutorials and skimming the manual, I went through an entire weekend sampling several things that I have had stuck in my head for years, only to find out that I saved the samples in the wrong place, with numeric names and in the wrong format, as well as several different takes. After rescanning folders and realizing that my samples were all messed up, I deleted them all and started over.

After doing it all over again, pointing to the directory where I wanted to save and rescanning my folders, I've noticed that maschine has done some weird things. Under User>Samples in Maschine, I have two options my "Sample Library" and "Maschine 2" which was created on it's own. In these two folders are some of the same samples, with different names and extensions, some numeric and some with the names that I gave, some are even ones that I deleted.
    I am trying to save two copies of each sample. I want to save one in my Users>Shared>Sample Library>Blew's Samples (As a wave file for use in Live, Logic & Pro Tools). I also want to save one in Maschine 2 format.

When saving samples, I right click on the wave after I sample, and I save as (what ever the name is going to be) Users>Shared>Sample Library>Blew's Samples. I then right click on the numeric name automatically created by Maschine under groups, I re-name the sample, then point to Documents>NI>Maschine 2 >????, this is where I get lost. I have noticed that Maschine will only save a sample in Maschine 2 format if I point to Documents>NI>Maschine 2, but I don't know the best folder to save to, so that I can easily find the sample later (Sounds, recordings or Samples). Even though I have pointed to my destination, my samples still seem jumbled up in the User tab, but if I go to the "Files" tab instead of "Library" tab at the top of the Maschine software, and follow my destination directory, I see all of my samples and third party samples in nice neat order. With the exception of one Maschine 2 formatted sample that I have no idea how I made it save in that format, in that location.

My questions are, (On a Mac)
    1.Why is maschine pointing to Documents>NI>Maschine 2> (sounds, recordings and some times samples) when I save a sample, instead of Users>Shared>Sample Library>? All the other sounds for all NI libraries are stored in Users>Shared folder.
    2. Why even after I rescan, are samples not added to the correct folders?
    3. What is the best path to save samples in Maschine 2 format?
    4. Is the Sample Library under the User tab in Maschine 2, the same as my Sample library located in the Shared folder on my Mac?
    5. How do I keep samples from duplicating?
    6. Do I have to go to the Files tab and load samples manually every time instead of trying to find them under the Library tab in Maschine?

2. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

i don't do any sampling with maschine. i experimented with it a few times but i didn't stick with it because of the mess it was making on my computer with file names that didn't make any sense, etc. i tried to do some renaming to clean things up but that just made things worse. it was a complete clusterfvck.

3. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

By default, Maschine saves new sample recordings to the recording folder in Maschine 2 folder. Do not try to alter this and just leave it as is. This is aliased as your Standard User Directory in preferences. You have duplicates because you are saving another version of the sample. Instead, double click on the name header of the sample in the sampling GUI and type in the name you want. When you do this, it replaces the generic time and date name with what you want without creating a duplicate. Don't right click and choose save! You can right click the waveform to open the folder to see the location that it is stored.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

thanks for the help

5. adkelley

adkelley New Member

Assuming I've altered it by mistake, is there any way to restore it without having to do a reinstall? I'm on Mac OS X and I've tried recreating the directory structure in my Documents folder, but still Machine will not save samples to the Recordings directory. Perhaps deleting the plist?

6. b-righteous

There is an option in preferences that allows you to save recordings to the project folder instead. Check that you don't have that option enabled.

Don't try to recreate the directory manually. Remove the entry in preferences under library user that says "Standard User Directory" After reboot Maschine will create it. If that does not work you will need to delete a database file so Maschine will build it from scratch. Not sure where that will be on Mac but there is a knowledgebase video on how to reset the database. There is a link to the Support videos in a sticky in the Main Maschine area.

7. adkelley

adkelley New Member

Thank you. Yes, this worked. The video is here but for those who would like to skip the video (Mac):

1. Ensure no NI applications are running
    2. Navigate to /Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Maschine 2
    3. Move the following files to the trash: db3logger.log, db3tracer.log, & komplete.db3
    4. Restart Maschine, and you'll find a new folder 'Native Instruments' located in your Users/** user name **/Documents directory
    The new Native Instruments folder will contain the Machine 2 folder. You can move projects, samples, etc into the respective folder (e.g., Projects) within the Machine 2 folder. If you moved projects, etc. into this folder then once Maschine 2 has started, perform a Preferences->Library->User->Rescan and your old projects, samples, etc. will show up in the browser.

8. b-righteous

Glad to help. :)

9. Young Blew

Thanks all. The explanation of the default location solves part of my problem. I now have two more questions.

How do I save a sample in wave format, without affecting the machine format sample, so that I can use it with Pro Tools, Logic and Ableton, if b-righteous is telling me not to "save as" on the wave file?

Also, how do I chop/slice a sample to use it in a project, without affecting the original sample, if I open a new project and load in a sample, will the original sample remain untouched?

Thanks again.

10. b-righteous

Maschine does save it in .wav by default so there is nothing more you need to do. Simply point your other application to the recording folder and it can access the samples.

Slicing is non destructive. All it does is create multiple play ranges pointing to the same sample so you never have to worry about it destructively affecting the original. Even the destructive edits such as normalize and truncate will create a new copy of the sample and leave the original in tact.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Young Blew

Is it wise to rename a sliced & normalized sample, so that I know which is which, or should I just save project "with samples", and be done?

Thanks for all of the help.

12. b-righteous

Whatever works best for you. Naming the samples allows you to identify it if you want to use it later so it's a good idea to enter a name for newly recorded samples that you want to keep.

13. Young Blew

No, I meant the sliced sample. Should I re-name it after slicing, to differentiate between the sliced and the original?

14. b-righteous

Slices are non destructive and always reference the same sample and do not create new samples, so it is the original. So no, only rename the original recordings and don't worry about renaming slices.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Young Blew

Thanks all.