What NI instruments can I use to make sample packs (if any)?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by saaara, Jan 27, 2019.

1. saaara

saaara New Member

Longtime Komplete user here.

I'm working on making my first sample pack, and I'm trying to understand the legalities involved.

Obviously, any instrument that uses samples (any Kontakt instrument for example) is off-limits.

Specifically I'm wondering if I can make samples for a sample pack with the following instruments:
    (NOT FROM PRESETS - I intend to create my own sounds from the init or default patch.)

Prism
    Razor
    Massive
    FM8
    Absynth
    Monark

(any other synthesizers i may be missing)

Also, am I allowed to use the FX plugins on my samples (such as in Guitar Rig)?

I did read the Native Instruments License Agreement, but I did not find (or could not interpret) the answer to this question.

Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

3. saaara

saaara New Member

Ah ok thanks! Glad I asked.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Are you sure Matt? The article talks about using NI "sounds" in a repackaging sense, at least as I understand it.

Creating samples from Synths as in creating a patch, play some notes and export it as a Wav file that will be part of a "Sound Pack" doesn't break any rules AFAIK... Can you double-check pls? Because every sound designer in the world that sells sound packs uses their synths...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matt @ NI

My bad, it's actually a little more subtle than that. You can use synth to build a sound from scratch but you would need to make sure it doesn't match any of the presets we provide with the product or in any of our expansions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

Sorry, I don't want to be annoying but what does "match any of the presets we provide" mean? It cant sound similar to NI any presets? That doesn't make any sense and it's literally impossible both check or prove.

7. freakydinde

freakydinde NI Product Owner

??? a simple bass presets will look any simple bass preset from any synth from any company...

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

Yeah, that's why I find this odd... A ton of sounds have names and history let's say a classic "Reese bass", it's a Reese, it sounds similar in any synth and there's no way to tell where it's from by listening to a bounced .wav

For something like the George Dukes Soul Treasures instrument I understand such rule because it has sample slices and that can count as repacking / reselling / re-distributing.

9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

If I create samples from an existing Reaktor ensemble where for I made my own snapshot - I don't ask for permission.

10. Matt @ NI

I'm just simply stating what has been communicated about this. You can use the synth to create sounds but they cannot be similar to the one we already created using that specific product. I suppose being able to tell where it's from or if you can realistically apply this license agreement is a different topic.
    For sample-based instruments, it's a little different indeed, you may not use them under any circumstances to create sound packs or libraries.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. D-One

Well... Ok.
    The way I personally interpret such a license agreement in a realistic manner is that it is more of a broad future proof measure to protect the company and its sound design in case someone blatantly tries to profit from it in a non-ethical manner I guess.

Thanks for clarifying it, Matt!:thumbsup:

12. Matt @ NI

Yes, I'd see it as such too and thanks for catching me back on this one ;)

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Matt, what is it if I use my own samples? Over the years I build more than 20,000 samples.

If I use my own snapshots (p.e. in Reaktor) it's okay.

14. saaara

saaara New Member

Thanks for elucidating on this, Matt. My intention was never to copy any of NI's sounds or presets (or anyone else's for that matter). My question was about programming unique patches from scratch (using synths that are not sample-based), and additionally processing them with other vsts, audio editors, and equipment. I have never made a sample pack before and I want to be both legal AND ethical about it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Matt @ NI

Yes of course and by the sound of it, it sounds like it will be all good ;)