What version Kontakt?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Francis Arthur, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Francis Arthur

Francis Arthur New Member

I'm seeing a lot of packages out there but all I need is just Kontakt for my Cubase (7.5)
    Would a free version work with all the libraries out there if I just wanted Kontakt? It needs to run expensive libraies like 8Dio's or Big Fish etc.

What is the cheapest smallest package without any additional libraries (if they're not given free) I can buy to run this, or maybe earlier versions that run well enough if they are still for sale.
    Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

2. DarkStar

DarkStar NI Product Owner

Short answer:no.

Some sounds libraries will work with the free Kontakt Player. For those libraries the library creator will have paid NI for that ability and part of the price to you will go to cover part of that payment..

The other sounds libraries will require the full (paid-for) Kontakt.

Another thing to watch is that the Kontakt instruments are not backwards-compatible. That is the instruments cannot generally be loaded in a version of Kontakt (or Kontakt Player) earlier than the one in which they were created (or updated). It might be OK for sub-sub-versions, e.g. Kontakt 6.1.1 and 6.1.0.

In all cases, this information should be on the library's product page. If not, the contact the library creator to double-check and encourage them to add it to the product page.

Cheapest product: Kontakt cross-grade (perhaps when on sale for half-price. But you need a qualiiiyng product first. There used to be a free qualifying product but I do not know its status.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. airflamesred

airflamesred NI Product Owner

My experience is that full Kontakt is better value for money. Much more choice out there from expensive to free.
    All 8dio stuff needs the full version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Francis Arthur

Francis Arthur New Member

Thanks everyone. I couldn't find the loose Kontakt in the past but now I've found it. The price is too steep though for someone who almost never plays or composes anymore, sold my workstation and only got a small masterkeyboard but missing the full keys that I had before. With all this crap of copyright I thought to start writing a bit again but maybe if it is around €200 - €250 euro