1. MacOS 12 (Monterey) is officially out. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status in our knowledge base area

If you have any questions or feedback about this update, please use the thread - here

Dismiss Notice

what's a "guitar cabinet"?

Discussion in 'FM8' started by ni-ck, Feb 23, 2013.

1. ni-ck

ni-ck New Member

Don't really understand what the "Cabinet" filter in FM8 is. yeah, don't know anything about guitars.
    Maybe I don't know how to search, but the term "guitar cabinet" gives me nothing. Searching it I get very different things like guitar speaker, isolation cabinet, etc.

2. CS_TBL

CS_TBL Forum Member

I'll try to sum up whatever I know about 'm, I may be wrong (I'm not guitar player) but I've entered a few cabinets/tops (Fender, Marshall, ENGL) into the webshop I work for.

The effect in FM8 simply emulates guitar cabinets of various kinds. A cabinet is simply an amp with speakers, guitar players use it - obviously - to amplify their guitar, and (as with synths, guitars, effect equipment, mixing consoles etc.) all these different brands have their own sound character. So, a guitar player may actually prefer one cabinet over the other for sound reasons. The cabinet is the actual casing though - afaik. But you know how people think, as soon as they like a combination of speakers, tubes 'n such, they're likely to refer to them using something as obvious as the case. ^^

3. ni-ck

ni-ck New Member

That clears everything. Thanks.

Though now I don't really understand the difference between this and the "Tube Amp" filter.

4. CS_TBL

CS_TBL Forum Member

The tube emulates the effects of tubes on the signal path (so, we're talking all circuitry here), while the cabinet also has the actual speakers modelled. With the cabinet it's as if you're standing in front a cabinet, while the tube is merely a signal path effect (kind of like a waveshaper/distortion I suspect).

5. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

In the olden days (when I worked with a guitarist), the amp and 'cab' were usually separate. This gave said guitarist lots of scope to try different amps with different cabs. Combos (amp and speaker in one package) were generally frowned upon by this guy as (he said) there was less room for experimenting.

6. MarioD

MarioD NI Product Owner

Schrage musik is right. A ‘cab’, guitar cabinet, or cabinet is an enclosure containing only speakers. There are many different guitar cabinet configurations like 2 x 12”, 4 x 12”, 4 x 10”, 1 x 15” or any combination of speaker sizes.

An amp is the power unit for such cabinets. The amp can be solid state, tube or a combination of both.

Having a separate amp and a separate cabinet is commonly called a stack.

A combo is a single unit that contains both the amp and speakers.

I hope this helps.