1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

What's BACK-UP Plan for performing live with the S4?

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by jimslaton, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

I'm curious to know what's other DJs use as a BACK-UP Plan when performing live with the Kontrol S4? Meaning, how do you plan for computer crashes and other technical difficulties that stop the music? What happens when your computer dies, glitches, restarts or something else that stops the music at the show? I'm curios to know how other DJs plan for this.

Do you use two computers side by side so when one has a problem you can just switch the USB cable and keep playing?

Do you have an iPod nearby at the ready where you can plug into the board? Can you do that with the S4?

How do big DJs plan for this? I know there are many different type of DJ setups so I figured I would ask here since I am using an S4. Please advise!

2. Bante

Bante Forum Member

I think it´s a sound idea to have some sort of backup planned. Personally I use my phone wired into my mixer, so If my computer /traktor fails on me, I can always just flip an input switch and quickly get some tracks going, and hopefully get traktor going again. I believe you could do this with S4 as well, but be sure to use AC power. If the USB cord gets pulled out of laptop, you won't be able to route any audio thru main out on S4.

3. tmccoy

tmccoy Forum Member

Currently have my iPad on standby with a few tracks or a recorded set connected directly to my speakers. One quick cable change and I go from one speaker to two.

It ain't perfect, and m biggest worry with the S4 is how reliant it is on the computer... One reason my next controller will probably be a hardware mixer.

4. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

Where on the S4 board do you plug your phone as a backup? Do you have a separate mixer you use between the S4 and your speakers?

5. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

This is the setup I am considering as my backup. Buy a 4-5 channel mixer to put between my Kontrol S4 and my speakers. Then use a dedicated unit like the uSolo FX, CDJ2000 or maybe even my iPad running DJAY. Then if the computer crashes or something goes wrong with the S4 I just raise the auxiliary input of my backup device on the analog mixer and BAM! the music is back. How does that sound to you guys?

6. Bante

Bante Forum Member

It was along time ago I had the S4, but if my memory serves me correctly, I could plug my phone into the rca inputs on the back of the S4, and switch the routing to main out. If computer/usb dies and S4 being DC powered, it will still pass audio thru to the main out of the controller.

7. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

There is no Audio Thru on the S4 Mk2.

8. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

Anyone else>? What is your backup plan if Traktor Pro or your computer crashes?

9. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

Wow, I didn't know the S4 MK2 doesn't have Thru input. The MK1 has one, on channel D, but that's good enough for an iPod/phone/CD player. Ideally I'd have a separate hardware mixer (to get booth out as well) but in lieu of that, or when I want to play with minimal equipment, I'm glad I have the MK1.

10. herbee

herbee Forum Member

I run my S2 into the desk that the house mixer runs into. That way should anything happen, I can quickly switch to CDJs / USB stick combination and play that way. To date, I've not had to to do this!

11. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

Something has been going wrong with my traktor setup at least once a week during my live set. I've adjusted my latency, USB Buffer size, cleared space on my internal HD, move traktor library to external drive but still I have glitches in the music and sometimes the song playing in the deck just freezes and the play button will not start it again. It usually requires my to reload the same song in the deck again before it will play.

IT CLEARS THE DANCE FLOOR TO SAY THE LEAST.

Its funny because DJAY for mac has never failed me once so now I am using a second laptop running DJAY as backup. It shouldn't have to come to this if you spend $5,000 on software & hardware from Native Instruments.

12. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Putting music on an external drive is only going to cause more problems.

What are your laptop specs? Do you really only have a "Core Duo" processor? (way below recommended specs)

13. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

Native instruments recommends you put Traktor's music library on an external drive. They say this is important and is the same with video editing. But I was having this problem with everything including the music library on my internal drive. I have one of the strongest macs you can get with 16gig of Ram. Here are the exact specs..

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    16GB memory
    500GB hard drive1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    OS X Mavericks

14. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

That sounds more like one of the cheapest base models, but it should be more than capable of running Traktor. Have you tested your system using any other audio interface?

15. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member

Not even close to the base model. The computer works great with other audio programs including other DJ software. As a matter of fact, I use TWO macs side-by-side during all of my live performances and traktor does this on both mac computers with completely different specs. For this reason I use the DJ software "DJAY" on one computer (backup) and Traktor on the other.

16. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

17. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

I run my S4 (mk1) into a compact mixer. In doing so, I have a secondary sound source with a 10m mini-mix ready to go. That gives me PLENTY of time to identify, resolve, and reboot the computer. Having the compact mixer also allows me to run multiple mics directly (via the mixer) which allows me to use the S4's inputs for DVS (I run TSP and have TTs) or I simply use decks C and D via the S4! The compact mixer also allows for another recording source in case you simply wanted to use TP/TSP for capturing music only.

I use the Mackie 402vlz3 for a compact mixer. I recommend it.

18. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

I'm running pretty much the same - S4 goes into a small mixer along with the mic. I have a second laptop that runs QuickShow controlling a laser but also has a copy of Traktor running with a suitable track loaded. That goes via an Audio2 interface into the mixer. Cue outputs from both interfaces go into the mixer as well and the headphones plug into that. Worst case downtime is a few seconds or so. I tend to not update Traktor that often on the backup so I know its pretty stable with a smaller music library (about 1000 tracks or so).

Then there's always the iPhone and a spare cable as a last resort!

Mike

19. jimslaton

jimslaton Forum Member