When exactly will Akoustik Piano be "reissued" as a Kontakt libray?

Discussion in 'AKOUSTIK PIANO' started by Icaras, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jusupov

Jusupov Forum Member

Thank you, I take this as a promise that the AP sounds as Kontakt instruments will work with OSX 10.6.x and so on. (I currently use them in Kontakt 3.5.)

2. Funky D

Funky D Forum Member

Although Kontakt player will be supported, you still need to install and update Akoustik Piano to get the content into Kontakt, correct? What happens if/when Akoustik Piano fails to load in the latest and greatest operating system? There are plenty of other valid points made here.

I don't see why it would be hard to make the .nki files available to registered Akoustik Piano users...

3. JasonSpatola

JasonSpatola Forum Member

My composing partner has new AP bundle on her laptop. We have old school AP on our primary mixing box.

From Massive to Absynth to even Guitar Rig, our Komplete 6 collab works pretty swimmingly. The only problem is new school Akoustik Piano is different from the old one, creating a tedious hurdle in the collaboration process.

Your comment is - unfortunately and sadly - not valid for me; I, an Akoustik Piano owner, have a need to buy the new Pianos.

Considering I have what NI has termed as "almost exactly the same product" it would be nice to get it at a nicely discounted price.

...Upgrade option, please. (HINT, HINT: I'm trying to give you money, NI!)

......Or else an option to revert the new Akoustik Piano Bundle to an old Akoustik Piano license/AP download option to enable users of both products to work together.

This is only going to get worse when old school Akoustik Piano isn't for sale *anywhere* anymore.

4. geoelectro

geoelectro NI Product Owner

What do you mean by new bundle verses old school?
    Isn't playing the AP samples in Kontakt or Kontakt player considered the new bundle?
    Why? It's the same.

You already have AP. You can load the samples in Kontakt player...for free.
    If you both have AP, you can both download Kontakt player for free, have a better engine for AP and keep each other compatible.
    I really don't get it. I have been using AP in Kontakt since I bought Komplete 5. It works fine. As long as Kontakt is supported, you samples from AP will work. Do you just not want to play AP through Kontakt for some reason?

Geoelectro

5. JasonSpatola

The new product (Akoustik Piano Bundle) vs. the old product (Akoustik Piano).

I've already answered your other questions. The products are not exactly the same, and are not exactly compatible in the application I've mentioned. I've always used AP in Kontakt, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. The stuff about Kontakt Player isn't applicable, either...

I'd be violating the license agreement if I distributed my Komplete 5 discs to another user so that they could install old-school Akoustik Piano.

Anyway, nothing new here. Hopefully this clarified some things for you.
    ---
    You apparently misread my earlier post. We don't both own AP. Or at least - not the same AP.
    ---

Further clarification of my issue between the two different products:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98352

6. Jusupov

Jusupov Forum Member

Funky D's right, I guess. What happens then?

Please don't answer just by saying that "well, you can use AP instruments in Kontakt as long as you stick with your current systems blah blah blah..." It would make me very :angry: again, I'm afraid. It is really enough that Pro-53 and B4 will become useless sooner or later. SOME compensation for surprise discontinuations would be fair indeed.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. geoelectro

I'm in the musical instrument service business and work on Organs and Digital Pianos. I recently went out on a very high end name brand Digital organ that was about 15 years old and originally costs over 30,000 dollars.

There are no parts available for that instrument! Now in the hardware world, people expect products like this to last for a lifetime. They don't.

So I wonder how people can expect something as fast changing and evolving as software to do the same? For a lot less money I might add.

You think you're owed something? Try the above organ owner.

Geoelectro

8. JasonSpatola

I'm with you on vintage hardware woes - truly depressing stuff. However, in this case, the few kilobytes of code changes between OG AP and new AP are the only barrier to improving the experience for the OG AP users.

It's annoying for the users to constantly hear that there's no reason to update the old pack because (as you and others have mentioned) the differences are so minor - but when valid issues surface (like mine! haha), NI continues to demand that the products are the same - especially when the (allegedly) infinitesimally insignificant installer update already exists, and could easily resolve my problem.

In any case, I'm pretty optimistic that it's coming soon.

9. Funky D

Funky D Forum Member

I'll bite... Using your example, let's pretend a near-identical version of that $30,000 organ was just created by the same manufacturer. The only difference is the new organ has a universal power adapter that will work on a wide range of voltages, suitable for use anywhere in the world. You call the manufacturer and ask if you can purchase the new power adapter and they respond "No... why would you want to? Your organ works find the way it is." To which you respond "Well, what if I move to France in two years?" The manufacturer's answer is to "buy a new organ for $30,000 in two years."

NI created a minor update to a product we currently own. Instead of making it available through the service center, they released it under a new name and told us to keep using what we have, since it works the same way.

I'm not suggesting that NI has bad intentions behind all of this, but if, a few years down the road, Akoustik Piano no longer installs, we're gonna be out of luck.

10. geoelectro

Dear JasonSpatola, You finally explained what your problem is with the AP, new and old. so I understand it now. Looks like a simple name change but enough to cause different versions not to recognize each other. I believe some kind of update "could" fix that. However, the old product was discontinued and no one is obligated to keep making it work.

Geoelectro
    ---
    Actually, organ manufacturers DO want you to buy new every couple of years or so. At least in the heydays that was common. As for an adapter, we sell them...no problem. Remember, many countries have laws as to how a power adapters/supplies can be made to pass codes etc. Many products are built for specific countries to comply with local codes. I know that wasn't what you meant but... I'm just sayin'

No, they discontinued a product that you own. They offered a way to play the SAME SOUNDS with another product. You do not need that product yet as AP still works, even though it was discontinued. If you ever do need it, they have a FREE version. Better engine, better CPU management etc.

See above.
    Geoelectro

11. JasonSpatola

1. Twas explained long ago.
    2. The rest is irrelevant, considering I'm not arguing what NI is "obligated" to do. I'm making a request. Straw man logical fallacy at its finest, bro!

12. mdf25

mdf25 Forum Member

Digital village are still selling AP original software which can also be used in Kontakt for £50 or so, thus if you want AP get the original while they are here.

13. Jusupov

Jusupov Forum Member

I think you are missing the point Funky D and I mentioned earlier.

Will Kontakt (or Kontakt Player) recognize my AP instruments and license, if AP as a software won't work in the future OSX (or whatever one is using)?

That's the question. NI, the answer?

14. Henning @ NI

Henning @ NI NI Team NI Team

Yes.

However, if for some OS change the AP installer won't work anymore it might be a problem if you want to use it on a new computer. Since this is rather unlikely and I can't foresee what kinds of issues there might arise, I can't comment on a possible solution.

Best,

Henning

15. MartinHines

MartinHines NI Product Owner

Henning,

It would be nice for NI to provide the new piano "skins" for download for existing Akoustik Piano owners (including Komplete 5 owners).

Although NI may think the new skins are trivial, we users would like to be able to use them.

To give a relevant example, Scarbee released the new instruments and skins for his products that have been re-released by NI. This allows existing Scarbee owners to have the exact same functionality that new NI Scarbee owners get. With the Scarbee products, current owners still have to use the samples in full Kontakt but we now have any updates that have been made (including new skins).

http://www.scarbee.com/

I don't believe NI would really lose much revenue, given most people (myself included) are not willing to buy the new NI piano products since we already own AP.
    It would simply be a nice gesture by NI and would generate a lot of goodwill towards NI.

16. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Can't believe folks are going on about some skins on a discontinued product that is still fully functional. Just play the darn thing or by the new one if it's that big a deal. Rather NI work on upgrading Kontakt or fixing bugs etc.

So what! Big deal! Buy the upgrade it's not much. They are not going to keep upgrading forever. Even if they gave the new files eventually the same problem would arise in 2020. The product works well as is. It can be used in a free player that is up to date. They don't owe it to try and further future proof it.

17. JasonSpatola

No thanks, tiger! ;)

18. ben logan

ben logan New Member

I'd like to second this request. Free the new skins, if you please. :)

19. stevehjones

stevehjones New Member

Hi,
    excuse me resurrecting this thread but I can't see how it got resolved. You mention an upgrade path, - is this available?

I really hope it is, because if it simply a means to future proof ourselves against OS incompatibilities with an old installer, I would like the opportunity to do this.

Every other software license I have bought (except for Wizoo who got sucked into Digidesign) still works, many years after I first bought the license. I don't see it as a reward, - I pay my money in good faith. No, there isn't any obligation on NI's part to do this, but loyalty works both ways.

Regards,
    Steve

20. topaz

topaz NI Product Owner

did the new skins, nki's get released yet ?

cheers
    topaz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.