1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

When is the next big update?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Milwel Traamen, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Milwel Traamen

Milwel Traamen New Member

Title says it all. When do we get an update which is substantial. For months now i'm waiting for an update which adresses bugs, but also delivers new features. For all I know Maschine hasn't been updated for a long time. I thought with the new MK3 sold, there would be an big update. A "big" update was 2.8 but this was not an update to make Maschine better. The added sounds.com integration was only about selling sounds ( almost 5 months ago) Which I will never use.

I would like to see so many things in Maschine to make workflow better. For instance the Pattern/scene/song modes. When will Native adress those? Or do we have to settle for the old software for years to come. Why isn't there innovation in the software section of Maschine? Why don't we hear anything from devs here? Why don't devs mingle in the discussions here on the forum to learn from there customers?

Just a few questions. Maybe some people here share the same views and we can discuss this. Maybe some moderators have some influence. And is it just me updates are not substantial, just adressing small bugs this year? Last question to kick off. When do I need to retrieve my old AKAI mpc2000xl. I'm almost at a point to use that as a controller and use the internal sampler of cubase which can do the same, but a lot easier.

Thanks for reading this rant. Hope Maschine will get an update which makes the software better. Like to hear your views about this. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

There are rather a few threads on how enthralling Maschine's updates are and what may happen in future if you look through the forum.
    Whether they will make you any more optimistic is open to debate :D

3. Milwel Traamen

I know the topics since i've been here for some time. They adress the software part. What would you like. Not why devs arn't here to discuss. Why there isnt any innovation, for al i know years. Maybe I'm just at a point I can't see any possitive points from maschine, except for being a good controller. I just would like to know how people think about input from devs here. Discussion minling. Making Maschine better. It looks like Maschine has stopped evolving. Only substantial changes are the new MK3 and Massive X. Could be they had to much work on the Massive project. But since it's released the could work on making maschine better? I dont know. No information here. Just people complaining. Like me. I'm sorry but I would like Maschine to get better. A little hope. Thanks for sharing your view. :)

4. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

They dropped the ball and picked up a different one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Milwel Traamen

This is why I opened this thread. It looks like Maschine is done develloping. Other projects are more important. And again if devs would see these threads, they would know customers are anticipating new features. Especially when you buy a new product like the MK3. Nothing has happend. Zero innovation. Developers not actively listening to there costumers. I said this allready in another thread. Why does a softsynth which is made by two people have more innovation. More updates in a month and a listening dev who's willing to make it better. And Native big company can't?

6. tempsperdu

In theory Maschine is being developed but no one is quite sure in what direction yet as most energy has gone into integrating Sounds.com.
    NI are not prone, especially after the song layer open letter fiasco, to talking about what is planned and although the devs do now come on here and comment it's mainly to explain current issues.
    A softsynth made by 2 developers only has to consider it's users and the two developers. A company the size of NI has far more considerations and so far no amount of prodding has elucidated any real responses towards the users.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

This is where I believe NOT open-sourcing the software hurts them the most. They had their day, and they even enabled other developers to have their day, but those glory days are long gone. There have been many companies that were leading their industry and have wasted it away.

NI is wasting away a treasure trove of talented developers worldwide that know the software. Instead what they're doing is taxing and competing with them. NI is in a position to offer free goodies to customers, which in turn could benefit 3rd parties developers, but more than likely not.

You have way too many eyes looking at it commercially, and not enough eyes looking at it lovingly. I'm not trying to go all soft here, but I'm just saying that you can only milk a cow for so much before they get sick and retired.

Open-sourcing certain components will insure that they get they attention that they need, and NI and 3rd parties can focus on what they do best. I'm not sure people really understand the benefits vs. negatives of it. /js

These are of course a symptom of a larger problem, but it's one that NI is probably in a position to tackle. I'm almost sure they'll figure it out one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Milwel Traamen

Thats the problem....Just a basssynth or the integration of sounds.com isn't innovation. MK3 is the same machine/apparatus as the ones before. Its just a controller depending on good software which isnt updated in months if not years. And nobody of the devs are here to listen to there customers. Thats so bad. And yeah song layer....Thats innovations if you would implement this.....But for months now there's no serieus updates. Bugfixes which arent fixed. Same old software. Nothing is changing. No development. In short nothing!.

And thats a shame for a company like native. I said it before. I use software which is developed by two persons. Each day they try to answer questions. Each day they try to make there product better. Its just to sad that a company like this cant work this out. Doesnt aks for feedback. Doesnt use customer info. Doesnt read the forums and aks what could be better. Especially with the MK3 who's running on old software with al the bugs still present.

That's what's wrong. And that's why I opened this thread to see how other people feel about this. Give some feedback. Just make native wake up. Because if we dont they will not know.
    Maschine V3 new software will arive in x months? Thats the question? Or do we need to settle for the old software which we used for years without changes?

9. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

The new studio will be a start in the right direction and a redesign 3.0 software... well that what you want to hear at least.. my opinion. The software peaked and since they will not opensource there software not much more u can expect..

10. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

Maschine is a fully developed/mature softwares with its democratized music production function and sounds.com.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RedwardMc

RedwardMc New Member

I'm happy with Maschine as is, I prefer bouncing out stems to record vocals & mix anyway.

Probably this fall will be K13, and a new Maschine Studio with 3.0

12. scheffkoch

scheffkoch NI Product Owner

...isn't that also affected by maschine's lack of plugin delay compensation?...

• Like Like x 1
  13. tempsperdu

The automation is very democratised....... it's unusable for everyone........................................................

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. RedwardMc

RedwardMc New Member

No. I'm using Maschine as an instrument, if a plug in has latency you can't use that in real time anyway, even if they had plugin delay compensation. That's why I bounce out, with minimal effects, to do the real mixing in my DAW.

Even if Maschine had greater DAW function I would still track vocals/mix/master in Studio One... I love S1 for that, hate it for anything midi or sequencing/composing. I also just like splitting up my workflow into separate stages.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kai @ NI

Kai @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hey Folks.

I wanted to leave a comment here, regarding this topic.
    As you all know there is a long standing list of feature requests and known issues with MASCHINE. In our current approach we are addressing those topics bit by bit and step by step. That means on one hand, we are shipping smaller updates, but therefore more frequently to make the changes, fixes and improvements available for affected people as soon as possible.

It might take some time for this to become more clear and noticeable, but as I mentioned in other places before, we are focussing on the heart of MASCHINE - which means solving known issues, improving workflows / usability and adding missing / requested features (or rounding off clunky or unfinished ones).
    Since there is a history with announcing features that never made it out, I would like to stick to the near term future in my announcements and comments for now, and only talk about the features that are being released soon-ish.

Please find some details more on the next steps here:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...-updates-of-maschine-komplete-kontrol.359227/

Everything else will be communicated and announced in due time as we are moving ahead.
    I would appreciate to have you all joining us on this journey - though I understand that many of you had been patient for a long time already.
    Thanks! :)

• Like Like x 9
  16. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

no..

Bouncing out stems is not really affected by PDC.. bounce the stems, and in the DAW slip the timing in the audio track to line up... at MOST this is 3 seconds per track.. this not any different than using and recording a hw synth..record audio and slip timing to suit.

17. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

I don't believe that the software has peaked at all.. just like the MPC has also a (very) long way to go.

The MPC has had major changes, and in many ways better than Maschine, but in several ways less so.. eg the MPC UI is a clusterduck, and midi i/o is highly restrictive.. Maschine kills it in UI, midi i/o & multi-timbral midi use.. admittedly MPC has those on the horizon for 3.0...

what we do not know, is what NI has on the horizon for 3.0.. or exactly how they are sorting through whatever "priorities" and "customer requests" they have in order to create that list..

• Sequencers have moved in in the last 15 years and Maschine is far behind .. tempo changes, meter changes, polymetric patterns, intuitive pattern live performance features (see Squid), recordable mutes & solos. Frankly though a bold move, i would totally support NI ripping out the sequencer and starting from scratch and
      • a) allow individual pattern length (not limited to bars, but to beats) per group, and
      • b) scene switching with option of scene length or next end of group pattern.. allowing two groups to switch scenes at the same time, or when their respective patterns have ended.
      • c) scenes having ability for individual tempo and meter
    • Automation has also moved on.. from linear automation (move a knob and its recorded), to step modulation, interpolated lines & curves, parameter locking (see Elektron & SP16) ..again Maschine is far behind...MPC isn't stellar either.
    • User input has also moved on..
      • a) scales & modes (Maschine has few scales and no modes), to chord progressions (MPC has nice implementation, but NI could "easily" have added a user defined page(s) of chords.
      • b) arps & sequences (more like grooves actually) in maschine are basic and restrictive.. user programmed arps and sequence/groove (say) derived from a midi pattern would fix this..
      • c) something as stupidly simple as using the pedal input for sustain..
      • d) VST integration with Komplete is stunning on Maschine and i have to give major props for that..

Anyway, personally, I have zero desire or even feel it is in the best interests of NI to make Maschine "more like a DAW" .. but the goalposts for the best groovebox are far beyond where Maschine is right now.

• Like Like x 6
  18. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

The big thing about Maschine software is the sequencer, that's the guts of the thing. All they need to do is concentrate on it being the best sequencer on the planet...

See you in another couple of years...

• Like Like x 1
  19. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

I think NI will get the picture when u guys stop buying the latest controller and force them by low sales to fix maschine yes it has great features but I dont like 60% of them.. my opinion. I say that because of all the negative hate I get...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1