When to use Blend, and when to NOT use Blend

Discussion in 'DJ Controllers' started by dj_estrela, Sep 25, 2020.

1. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

Thanks to @DJ MiCL, we have a clear explanation of what "Blend" REALLY does:

I only found one incorrection in this explanation: booleans have specific rules when Blend=OFF.

If this would NOT be the case, the most common setup would fail:
    ... IN MIN 0; MAX 1
    ... OUT MIN 0; MAX 127
    In this example, it was supposed to send MAX in all cases; but it doesnt.

----
    Confusingly, "Deck is loaded" is buggy. Maybe other booleans are as well.
    There, the non-boolean rules apply, so this will always send 127, even after an explicit unload.

Latest CMDR has a column to filter Blend=ON or Blend=OFF. This is useful to find and fix Blend issues in your existing mappings.
    Below a small test to understand the explanation for the case of a Modifier counter.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

What about an RGB LED that should be one color when it's inside the range, and another color when it's not? In that case Blend would send different colors depending on the in-range value, right?

As you said, normal LEDs light up for any non-zero value, so I don't think Blend makes any difference. The only thing I can think of that you need Blend for is for VU meters.

3. dj_estrela

You are right. I've found several use cases for both situations, so I rewrote the first post.
    Note the Boolean inconsistency, and the even more confusing "deck is loaded" bug.
    I also use explicit conditionals to support 3 or more colors in a single pad.

These are my current recommendations:

4. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

Ah you're right, I do have Blend on for Deck Is Loaded to make it send 0 when the deck is unloaded. I don't need it for other boolean outs, so it probably is a bug.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. dj_estrela

Just confirmed that replacing a normal track with a STEM track confuses "deck is loaded OUT Midi", It ends up as "0".

Going from track to track or stem to stem is fine

Attached Files: