Who are your favorite music producers?

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by Hit-Man, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

Who are your favorite music producers and what productions do you consider to be their best work?

2. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

Dr. Dre is one of the best ever IMHO. His tracks are one of the reasons I got interested in making beats eons ago. I can't chose a single favorite track, he's worked on entire albums that are impeccably put together. That says a lot given that these days you usually find only 1-3 stand out tracks on most albums. Here are a few of my favorites:

Dr.Dre - The Chronic
    Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
    Dr. Dre - presents Aftermath (most tracks)
    Dr. Dre - 2001 (There's an instrumental only version of that album. I think every hip-hop producer needs to give that a hard listen for tips on how to arrange a track)

King Tee - Thy Kingdome come

• Like Like x 1
  3. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

^agree, The Chronic and Doggystyle are two of the best hip hop albums ever made IMO. So many of them, but some of my other favorite producers include Timbaland, The RZA, Ski, Pete Rock, Flume, Johnny J and Quincy Jones.

4. slyte

slyte NI Product Owner

J Dilla - James poyser - The Alchemist- just blaze- Kanye ( the old Kanye )

5. Hit-Man

Hit-Man NI Product Owner

These are the guys that made me want to get a drum machine, sampler and a keyboard and make music. My Top Hip Hop producers are...

1. Dr. Dre - 1."The Chronic" 2."N*ggaz4life" 3."DoggyStyle"

"Let Me Ride" - produced by Dr Dre(1992)

"A N*gga Witta Gun" - produced by Dr Dre(1992)

Approach To Danger - produced b Dr Dre(1991)

"Real N*ggaz Don't Die" - produced by Dr Dre(1991)

2. The Bomb Squad - 1."It Takes a Nation of Millions" 2."Amerikkka's Most Wanted" for Ice Cube. 3."Welcome to the Terrordome" and "Fight the Power".

The way that the Bomb Squad would stack layers and layers of samples to create this wall of noise that some how made sense was incredible. They really took sampling to the next level.

"Rebel Without A Pause" - produced by The Bomb Squad(1988)

"The N*gga Ya Love to Hate" - produced by The Bomb Squad(1990)

"Welcome To The Terrordome" - produced by The Bomb Squad(1990)

3. Larry Smith - 1."RUN DMC" and "King of Rock" for Run DMC 2."Escape" and "Back in Black" for Whodini.

Larry Smith... R.I.P
    [​IMG]

Larry Smith was Hip Hops first "Super Producer". Larry Smith was Dr Dre before there was a Dr Dre. It's crazy to think that this guy produced 4 classic albums in a span of 2 years. He produced RUN DMC's first 2 albums and Whodini's second and third albums at the same time from 1984 to 1986 and all four albums are classics... although Larry was working on both groups albums at the same time... he made sure they didn't sound the same. Run DMC had more of a hard street edge while Whodini had more of a smooth r&b sound but still a hard bangers too.

"Rock Box" - produced by Larry Smith(1984)

"One Love" - produced b Larry Smith(1986)

"I'm A Ho" - produced by Larry Smith(1986)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Musichead83

Musichead83 New Member

Dr Dre, Zaytoven