Who wants to generate STEMS-files

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Supercreative, Jul 28, 2015.

1. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

If your screen goes dead (or it even freezes) I would not rule this out as a power management all.

Procedure I've written above could easily resolve it, I've seen this before with other devices. I just do it as routine in a DAW setup, whether there are issues or not (all audio devices have power management disabled, see link). Also the latest chipset drivers/BIOS update could make power mangement more reliable with devices. Latest audio interface drivers/firmware could improve power management as well. It's all interlinked.

At least rule it out.

2. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

thanks for the advice but it's not drivers. mine are current.

i've been using traktor close to 14 years and it's worked great for me until these last few releases. oh well. maybe NI will chime in some day. we'll see!!!

3. CakeAlexS

If you had carefully looked at my original response, and clicked on the link you would have seen I'm not just talking about updating the drivers:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...nerate-stems-files.260123/page-9#post-1417905

I'll place odds of about 60% that your issue could be fixed. But if you wish to dismiss it without reading or trying it that's your choice :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  4. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

considering that i'm using a mac i think the odds of me finding a fix on microsoft technet are much less than 60% ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

What does this have to do with this topic?

6. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

i was responding to the video tarekith posted about stems and traktor and NI strategy to improve dj performances. i'm just sharing my opinions and experiences. personally i like where NI is headed but i think they need to up their game if they expect the industry to follow.

as far as generating stems goes... i downloaded the stem creator tool for the mac and created some stems. it works fine imho. i don't have much else to say about that. but i get your point so i will leave the discussion.

7. CakeAlexS

Well Skins did mention PC so jumped on board (my bad).

On the Mac you need to look at the power management per device rather than just Global settings. I'm not even sure Steve Jobs will even allow you to do this..?

Over and out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  8. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

9. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

I've been using it a bunch for client work already, works fine. I don't know of any portals for online sales yet, though I'd imagine Beatport will be one of the first.

10. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

They're available, but it seems like only partner labels can upload them so far. Your average producer would need to be signed to one of these labels in order to get their tracks for sale in this format. Unless I'm missing something, anyone know of a place that lets anyone upload stems for sale?

• Like Like x 1
  11. CakeAlexS

It's apparently an 'open' format.

12. Ninesense

Ninesense New Member

I read through this thread and saw many comments saying "good that they offer ALAC as an alternative". That's not true. It's false advertising to the max. This false advertising has cost me a few thousand in equipment, and I will be forever disappointed with this company.

On mac (can't speak for PC), Traktor isn't able to read these ALAC Stems, yes you can create them but traktor won't analyse/read them. There is a bug which Native Instruments never fixed since the Launch of Stems. I've been asking them about fixing this for 3 years and the last response was basically, it's a bug and we won't do anything about it.

So R.I.P. stems, this was a dream format for a many DJ's and definitely for a live performer... basically anyone who doesn't want to just hit play and wave their hands in the air.
    Sure it's true that one could play Lossless stems with Ableton, but the flexibly of using the traktor workflow, the ease of mixing, having controller cleverly mapped, auto gains, etc etc.. it's just a real shame that native instruments let this format die. D2 has been discontinued, I'm sure the S8 will follow...

Can anyone confirm to me if on a Windows 10 PC, Traktor can read an MP4 files created with ALAC stems?

13. CakeAlexS

It was always a ridiculous format when FLAC was already available. Many people don't know it supports more than two tracks.

• Like Like x 2
  14. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I tried the following for you.
    With Xrecode 3 I performed a random sample to the ALAC format. I can import this sample into Traktor DJ.
    See the image.

René

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninesense

Ninesense New Member

Here is a stems file created with ALAC. Would you be able to tell me if you can load it in a Windows Traktor??
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aKAVh_PM6Rltvmz5ctcQbISFhSvZ2WKw/view?usp=sharing

To create the file I:
    Exported .wav files
    Used itunes to convert to ALAC
    Dropped them in Stem creator tool
    Exported

So this is a Lossless Stems file.

And the bug is, it doesn't load in traktor... it's a bug and it's been there since the start :(

For anyone that says, it sounds find with AAC (lossy/compressed)... try this:
    Load the original wav/aif file into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
    Load a stem created file (not the one here, but a regular one..which if you input wav or aif, it outputs a lossy AAC mp4 file)
    On either of the tracks, invert the phase 180' (many plugins do that)

What happens is all the sound that is the same disappears, you are left with the difference between the Lossy and the Lossless file...
    The amount of information that is gone from the audio file is... a lot... making this lossy format not usable for anyone who wants to play proper quality files on gigs....

16. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

17. Ninesense

Ninesense New Member

so it doesn't work on windows either....
    so how is this not false advertising (aka illegal) ?? After spending 1000euros on 2 D2 controllers+1000 on a mixer... I found it is false advertising.... and they refuse to fix this simple bug!!

screenshot from:
    https://www.stems-music.com/stems-faq/

Attached Files:

18. Michael Niotakis

Michael Niotakis New Member

Just stumbled across this trying out Spleeter and Stems Creator. I can confirm it hasn't worked for me in Win 10. It's crazy that ALAC (& FLAC) Stems are not supported. H

I too have reported as a bug.

19. Ninesense

Ninesense New Member

After many years of asking NI support, less then a month ago I received an email saying that they are working on a command line that should fix the ALAC issue, and that later it will be included in an update.
    I'm waiting for this command line... but there is a light at the end of the tunnel

• Like Like x 1