Why does Kontakt sound so radically different from HALion???

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by riviera, Jul 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riviera

riviera Forum Member

If I import the same Akai program into Halion and Kontakt, I notice a MAJOR sound difference, with default settings.

Halion sounds fatter, but with less high end and hiss, and Kontakt sounds thinner, with more high end and hiss.

Same program, same samples. This is quite a quandry because Kontakt is designed so much better, but I don't know if I can trust the quality of the sound playback..or is it the Halion sound playback that is not accurate..??

It's weird. I wonder if one or the other program is defaulting to some settings that are affecting the sample playback, and not just playing them back in their native raw state??

Anyone else notice this problem???

2. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

You have to compare the settings b/c I tested just the samples playing through Halion vs. Kontakt and I can't tell the difference. The conversion from Akai to Halion may work 'better' than to Kontakt. I do a lot of conversion from Emulator to Halion for instance and the conversion is either really bad or the settings simply do not map well.

It's unfortunate but the good thing is that you can tweak the instruments after they are imported.

3. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

Question

Are the Akai samples already in uncompressed wave format? If not, there's obviously a conversion going on to uncompressed wave format for the import. I don't remember how Akai stores samples.

4. riviera

riviera Forum Member

Yes the samples are already in WAV format, so I'm not sure what is going on.

I do notice that in the global panel of Halion, there is a default setting that is ON for "low pass filtering" and you can't turn it off, you can only pick other types of filtering. Seems strange that it would be that way..

5. ronny priest

ronny priest Forum Member

I can only say, Kontakt and Halion are different programs - that's the difference ;)

6. riviera

riviera Forum Member

Well here is an interesting addendum to this...
    I loaded Halion and Kontakt, loaded the same Akai program in each, and then loaded a couple of the raw WAV files from the program into Wavelab.

Played each sample from both samplers, and then compared to Wavelab.

Guess what?? Kontakt sounded identical to the raw sample playing from Wavelab.

Halion seems to default to adding a low pass filter globally, which is thickening up the sound and taking high end off.

I have to say, Kontakt is more accurate to the original sample, and after playing with the demo for endless hours, I am sold.

The design of Kontakt blows away Halion. It's great..:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.