why does NI implement absolute NONE of the requested features in the updates?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Frank P., Jun 27, 2019.

1. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

"Silent But Deadly"
    "When a fart can be emitted so silently yet its strong enough to floor a rhino." Quote from UrbanDictionary.Com

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

tempsperdu Those are some powerful hits that have to be up there on the charts. What with the slogan being "The Future of Sound" and with Corporate perhaps being out of control some day, you never know they may want to start collecting royalties ... legally. lol

3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I have to admit that was the only thing I could think it meant but I was too dim to work out how that fit in context and unfortunately I still am.:oops:

4. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Sure, creating static images at multiple sizes and switching between them depending on the size is one way you can do it, but whether that's a lot of work (or even possible) to support in the rendering layer depends entirely on how the existing UI is implemented. A lot of UIs are a mix of static images and programmatically drawn graphics.

If the rendering layer is vector-based, you don't need to create a bunch of assets. Each control can be a simple vector graphic (like SVG), which can be programmatically rotated, scaled, recolored, etc. You can animate the transitions, which makes it really easy to make something like level meters that have smooth transitions as they rise and fall. This kind of stuff has pretty decent performance even in web browsers now. Check out some of the examples for D3 (especially animated ones like this), a data-driven graphics library based on JavaScript and SVG.

You'd have to evaluate the right path for each plugin. If the existing UI is a dated, confusing mess like ES2, just throw it out and start over. It's so complicated that it would require the same amount of work (maybe more, honestly) to recreate the existing UI to support high res drawing and resizing anyway. With something like Massive, I wouldn't want to change anything about it except to make it sharper and resizeable, but without knowing how it's implemented I have no idea how much work is required.

Ableton was smart to design most of Live with a set of vector-based stock controls. Sure, it has the most boring UI of any audio software, and all the built-in plugins look exactly the same, but you can resize the whole thing with a single slider, and it looks sharp at every size. And it even supports themes!

Reason, on the other hand…I don't envy the future in store for Propellerhead's UI devs.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Well then it's like this. Well they own Sounds.com, and if you check their catalog I'm sure the sound is in it, or will be. It says it right there in their slogan that you posted they are the future of sound.
    So yeah it was a silly joke that, even the silent ones can be taxed by NI some day. Hey even the whisper song made money, so even though it's silent, and you didn't download it from them, they could say that you still producing funk.
    I know don't quit my day job. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I see. I dont know about the plugins/instruments but for Maschine and KK it literally looks like a website, it's a bunch of .pngs and a Stylesheet folder with txt files that have code that looks almost exactly like CSS, (a bit odd, never saw that before inside an application, a plus for me is its easy to edit)

Yeah... Although I really appreciate modern design I might prefer function over form as Ableton does.
    Just opened reason 9.5, haven't used it in years, 20% of the UI looks sharp and everything else is blurry, kind of strange, not sure how it looks on the latest version.

7. Seta

Seta NI Product Owner

They do not release the most importan requested features for two reasons:
    - They probably have to rewrite maschine code from zero, it was not designed to be a DAW, not even close.
    - Why would they release these features for free when they can (and will) charge you 99€ for the update, once it is released? (in no more than 4 or 5 years time I guess :p)
    In the meantime, if money burns in your pocket, you can keep buying expansions and/or subscribe to sounds.com. You will probably not finish any musical project but you will have some fun.

8. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Um, I'd have to disagree. It was recoded from the ground up. That was what Maschine 2 was; a ground up rewrite to incorporate the ideas they had decided to pursue after much discussion with users... I know this was a long time ago but the facts are important. And no none of the ideas or more popular requests were about making it a DAW. None. ;)
    But yeah re making money, that is something they know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Well it's not like they don't have an excuse with having to roll out Sounds.com, and it's not like they don't have a world-class hustle. The best we can do is to keep giving them our honest feedback in a positive environment that fosters proper growth. I'm sure it'll make the process that much smoother for us all.
    I don't think they ever intended to sell us "boat anchors," and they will eventually get it right ... or they end up opening up the source allowing others to get deeper in to it. That is what I hope at least.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stormchild

That’s cool. I’ll have to poke around in there. Reason 10 looks the same as 9.5. The surrounding UI was modernized but the rack devices are another story.

11. Stormchild

I’ll be more than happy to pay for the Maschine 3.0 upgrade if they decide to charge for it. They have to pay their developers, so they need to make money to justify spending time on it. I bought Maschine for what it does now. That’s the only sensible way to buy software (and hardware too).

The only thing I expect for free is bug fixes.

• Like Like x 3
  12. tempsperdu

I believe CakeAlexS is revelling in your optimism................................:D

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

correction only things is free here is bugs fixes come at price so you hope for 3.0 with a shiny new controller

14. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Version 3 just round the corner again eh?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. certifiedbeatz

During the election 2020..

• Like Like x 1
  16. tempsperdu

Complete with free bug fixes apparently :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. certifiedbeatz

Ill try it out with my A25 see if there a problem with the komplete driver..

18. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

That's great if your willing to WAIT for the bug fixes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Seta

Seta NI Product Owner

When I say is not even close to a DAW I mean no song mode (2 years after it being anounced), very poor automation (you can not even draw straight lines) and no delay compensation (for VSTs and/or external hardware) just these would be enough not to use a DAW (at least for my nee¡ds)
    Having to use maschine inside a daw makes me wonder if I should have chosen a DAW to start with (does not matter which one). And to add any of these features they will probably need to rewrite the code from the begining (once more) ..the only thing that prevents me from selling all my NI gear and software is hope they will make it right with maschine 3.0.....I kind of regret getting into NI stuff

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Having to pay for a 3.0 version to finally have all the promised features would have me to sell for sure... Jeez

• Like Like x 1