why does NI implement absolute NONE of the requested features in the updates?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Frank P., Jun 27, 2019.

1. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

I agree with this- especially automation. To further this discussion, Akai has a nice hybrid-compromise between their self-contained MPC’s and their desktop MPC software. At any point, a song can be imported into the MPC desktop software where 3rd party VSTs can then be added. Naturally, the desktop software will now need to be used to finish the track with the hardware acting as a controller only. It seems to work fine and looks to be a good compromise.

For whatever reason, NI has not given users’ this same option to de-couple the hardware from software to gain a more robust production platform in the later stages of a track. At some point, we are done tweaking knobs and banging on pads and don’t need the controller/software parity. The patterns are built, the scenes are done, the performance is over. At this point, all that is needed is a track view.

• Like Like x 4
  2. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Well put.. Akai has definitely outdone themselves. I Own the MPC X its rock solid.. audio sounds good.. my Motu 828ES i use for mixing and mastering...

I set my latency low 64 samples and can create 30 tracks midi and audio sequences without a problem. Few features need tweaks and MCU supported since they have a mixer whu not your mixing board control them.....

Good luck NI

3. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

FL has come a long way.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mac Tinitus

Mac Tinitus NI Product Owner

for me was the beginning to make music with a Casio and a Tape Deck . Was Record samples from old Ninja Movies with the black Portable Tapedeck in front of the TV speaker .. and all this because it made fun . If sometimes at the end ...the tape was terrible- ..there was no Adress from a company to go there for Mini Mini Meee /no thoughts to do this ... because to bring it done you use skills.. later first Softwares had Bugs and nobody was crying about every year again and again .. use or not use -this simple thing .

Holy **** I’m old !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

I actually don’t use anything Akai. My set up is Maschine, Reason, and sometimes FL Studio with Komplete 12 sprinkled in. What I say in terms of work flow is mostly observation of how other companies are doing things and how it might be adapted into Maschine’s workflow.

After seeing the sequencer and modular functionalities of Massive X, if Maschine updates play out how I anticipate them, Maschine will really start to dominate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Nice.

I made a motorcycle engine with my TR-08 a few weeks ago. I had it synced to Ableton Live via MIDI clock so I could run it at 999 bpm (the highest Ableton will go; the TR-08 maxes out at 300), put a bass drum hit on every step, then let it rip. Tweaking the tuning revs the engine, and dropping half the steps (or just lowering the tempo to 500) makes it sound like it’s idling. That was fun.

Yeah, I do enjoy Reason for the ability to treat it like a gigantic modular synth. I’ve been using it since the public betas before 1.0. The combinator was at least partly based on suggestions I (and others) made in the forums in the early days (they delivered a lot more than what we asked for though…credit where it’s due).

Just before the release of Reason 3, there was a lot of moaning about how Reason needs a new synth. A few of us decided to prove the SubTractor alone can do anything you want if you know how to use it, so we all made tracks using nothing but SubTractors and effects. I called mine Arithmatrick (because it’s a sum of subtractors) and it shipped with Reason 3 as one of the demo songs.

I’ve used and loved Propellerhead stuff since the original ReBirth. It makes me sad that Reason is currently benched in my setup. I hope whatever growing pains they’re going through get sorted out soon. They used to be years ahead of everyone else, with unmatched fit and finish in every detail. I can’t help thinking they lost some senior engineers whose shoes have never really been filled by the new people.

Anyway, here’s a ReFill of SubTractor patches I made in Reason 1.0. Some of them still hold up, even without the built-in effects that every synth has now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

My understanding is that the MPC software when tethered just offers the addition of VST support and not any more super advanced production/arrangement features than it's standalone OS counterpart. If this is an incorrect statement, someone who owns one please correct me.

If NI releases a hybrid tomorrow that won't fix anything on it's own other than offering the same we already have but without the need of a computer at the cost of not being able to use any VST instruments, that includes the whole NKS/Komplete stuff which is a major selling point for Maschine. So what are you really asking for? Better software or a standalone version of the controllers? The former doesn't require the latter and vice-versa.

No one can argue against a more robust production platform however there's no reason to believe that it cant be done while retaining hardware control for those who prefer hands-on control VS mouse/keyboard. A huge chunk of the user base bought Maschine exactly to run away from the typical click, click, click, workflow... I personally wouldn't mind a mode that didn't rely on the controllers but a lot of people would be upset.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. certifiedbeatz

No they will have more space on there desk and get rid of stuff from NI they don't need ie: jam

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

How is it you come here and at least in theory read posts yet you don't take anything in that might just contradict your myopia. There are an awful lot of people here who, whilst acknowledging it could be improved, really like Jam (self included) and use it daily as part of their set up.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Masch1ne

Masch1ne NI Product Owner

Jam is pretty dope. Been using it again lately.

• Like Like x 3
  11. certifiedbeatz

Never used jam so I can't hate but to have another product aligned with a flag ship to run software that not complete for any of there controller is mind boggling that's all.. using it again means u really don't need it

12. tempsperdu

Sometimes I think there is something in common between your logic and NI's *cough* 'Automation' system.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. certifiedbeatz

I dont understand what you mean.. I never used jam just dont know what extra it could bring if you already own studio per say.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

We picked up JAM to try to see if this new IDEAS was an easier workflow. Big mistake for us here. JAM Sits on a shelf in a box and we absolutely dislike the IDEAS functionality. Cant do crap with scenes like we used to here. The whole JAM and IDEAS view for us is just a headache.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. tempsperdu

Strange ..I find it really quick for assembling and changing things and I'm sure when I get to know it better I'll be able to utilise it even more. I wouldn't like to be without it now. Your work flow must be very different to the ones that find it useful.:)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

We just work with whatever they call SCENES view I guess. My own opinion wish they would have some sort of switch to just shut off IDEAS view. NI dev team is smart enough.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. certifiedbeatz

I watch videos it looks okay but another tool when or if u had studio you can do all of those functions.. good tool maybe for live performance.. IDK not hating just seems like a waste of space..

18. tempsperdu

Before I got Jam I never used ideas view at all. Without being able to view Arranger at the same time it just seemed totally useless and I'd never use it without Jam. There is so much work that needs to be done to the Maschine interface to make is as versatile as it should be to get the best out of the programme as it is let alone what it could be developed into.

19. Deafkon

Deafkon NI Product Owner

I use the Jam as often as I do the MK3. The two are always on and ready to go in each session. Both units bring something unique to the table. The Jam fills in even more holes for the MK3 (master volume fader, preview volume, etc). The midi touch strips are really great for laying down melodies, and having visual volume from the LED indicators per sound while using the Mk3 screens for something else is nice, as well.

I really need to dive into it more, but for me the Jam is more useful than it looks on the surface. Most of the videos I have seen don't use it to its full creative potential. They mostly use it as a live step editor to build simple 4/4 beats, which is honestly the one thing I don't use it for, lol.

As discussed in a few other threads, if we are ever given an option to make the Jam's window focus independent from Maschine controller, it would be a renaissance for the unit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. carvingcode

carvingcode NI Product Owner

Jam is pretty useful if you're using it as intended.

• Like Like x 1