1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

why does NI implement absolute NONE of the requested features in the updates?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Frank P., Jun 27, 2019.

1. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

I find this statement alarming:

"However, we now face our biggest challenge to date: to redefine the industry with the emergence of a truly connected and accessible ecosystem of tools, sounds, and services, enabling everyone to make music."

Sounds like subscription services loom on the horizon like a category 5 hurricane. Please say it ain't so...

2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I don't know whether someone saying that they are glad and excited to be working on the cutting edge of music production when that software has a so called automation system that was well past its sell by date by 2000 is hysterically amusing or unbelievably sad or even tragic............

Not trying to be totally negative but lets hope some reality walks round the corner in the NI offices..........................................

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I really don't know how to break this down to you gently.:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tempsperdu

That is something they don't seem to be shying away from in spite of much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the forums at least in regard to how that might transpire.

I might well be wrong and would like to be corrected if so but IMHO the biggest problem NI have to contend with is its CEO and his acute lack of sensitivity to his own seeming overwhelming hubris. There is a pattern of over ambitious failures at the users expense over the last few years is there not and whose decisions and 'stewardship' in the main were those?

Most of the developers that come on here seem to be very well intentioned people and it must be so hard to work in what to an outsider seems the current environment. I'd like to think they deserve our support.

• Like Like x 1
  5. macchinista

macchinista NI Product Owner

it seems inevitable at this point......

6. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Both Akai and NI are doing it.. cloud producing is the future. My gripe is fix what you said your going to fix

• Like Like x 1
  7. macchinista

macchinista NI Product Owner

I think what NI means for democratization really is massification, so in this context producers = consumers. What are the implications for the future of music and musicians? Hard to say...... but personally I am more concerned with AI replacing humans altogether.

8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't overthink those slogans, they are just press-friendly words so journalists have a nice quote to put on their news titles... aka marketing.
    Every music software/hardware company wants to "democratize music creation" aka make tools that are easy to use... unless it's a company that only caters to pro niche markets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

SL2.png

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. BigPictureSound

While Adobe's stock may have increased dramatically after their move to cloud-only subscription, users' like me have become privy to alternatives. A once-obscure competitor, Serif (makers of the Affinity line of design products), has since exploded in popularity in the last few years from professionals seeking traditional and fair business models. There are now hundreds of thousands of posts on their forum and it only seems to be growing.

However, the major difference is Adobe had a stranglehold monopoly on the industry that they exploited wherein the sound design industry has robust competition in the marketplace. I should point out that their monopoly is quickly starting to erode as the market responds with alternatives and their once flagship proprietary internet formats like Flash become deprecated to open-source alternatives. I can only imagine that deprecation of major revenue streams was a motivating factor in their decision to switch business models.

But I digress. Native Instruments makes phenomenal products and I love being part of the community and enjoying their products, but they are absolutely replaceable if it came down to it and hopefully the leadership understands that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Yup, and if I were an expert fortune teller I would predict that's the next major priority after sounds.com (ignoring the inevitable new controllers)...Five dollar bets then?

• Like Like x 1
  12. tempsperdu

Nobody likes being forced to use something or to keep paying and paying and I truly hope that companies like Adobe and Autodesk go to the wall because IMHO they deserve to. Offering subscription as an option is good for all but to try to enforce it is just pure greed at it's finest.

They show no signs at all of understanding or caring in the slightest. Whilst the developers have had the courage to face the users Daniel Havers certainly hasn't. No one has ever answered in any form any of the queries on here about the possibility of going subscription, only or otherwise.
    Over the last couple of years NI has come over as almost being at war with its users which IMHO is crazy. We should all want the same thing. Maschine and the rest of the ecosystem achieving as good as it can creatively and financially.. The users in spite of everything still remain enthusiastic and I'm sure a lot of the developers do but there's less than no indication that management are equally enthused or share that goal.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BigPictureSound

As long as NI understand they aren't infallible, the odds of subscription-only business models across all brands seems unlikely. A hybrid approach as they have now seems much more sensible in the long run. I was actually happy to see Sounds.com integrate with Maschine as it bolsters the Maschine portfolio.

Now that I see Massive X, I do wonder if perhaps Maschine was put on hold in order to flesh out new workflow enhancements that can be used modularly across products. For instance, Massive X's modulation system would be killer in Maschine. Heck, Massive X is almost like a mini-sequencer in itself. Imagine sticking all of those components in Maschines workflow.

• Like Like x 3
  14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Me, Me, Me, Me, Me! 5$ is to low though, that's no fun... can we make it 50$?

Pretty much... The latest update has thousands of comments saying "thank you for no forced subscriptions, bye Adobe" they have pretty attractive prices and development seems fast, I'm thinking about buying a couple of their products.
    A huge chunk of the adobe target works for companies that do use it so the employes can't afford to switch tho, in the music market things are quite different but it's still a good example of what happens if an enormous amount of users are unhappy with a subscription-only model, a competitor will show up eventually and snatch the customers... I think the NI numbers lady knows this, at least it seems obvious.

15. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I'm not so sure this was one of those rhetorical questions, where we all needed to chime in. Why would NI need to respond to this, when a bunch of smarty pants users, who think they know it all, seem to already know the answers? lol
    We probably should have referenced this thread in a new post, because i'm pretty sure none of us can really answer this question, right?

16. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Attached Files:

17. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

No, we "crack down" on people being rude. We have enough people on here being critical of us as a company, and thats all fine. But we dont allow anyone on here being plain rude. And some people just keep pushing it, to see how far they can go.

Prime example in this very thread:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mick @ NI

Posting this again:

• Like Like x 1
  19. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

We have heard this rhetoric before from NI, I can understand why many users will doubt this, Maybe some transparency from NI as to why the features promised before did not come to fruition would maybe give the users some faith in your most recent communication regarding maschine.

20. Mick @ NI

Exactly, thats why we cant say anything, because then we get "we heard it all before".

• Like Like x 3