1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Why is my music not so dynamic like the Music from a Pro artist

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by janvdc, Nov 9, 2019 at 1:58 PM.

1. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

Hey,

Why is my music not so dynamic like the Music from a Pro artist?i don't think it is mastering ,is this because it is made in machine an not by example in FL studio?In my master-chain i have EQ/Fabfilter pro q2/Fabfilter Pro C/Fabfilter Pro L

Here is by example my track:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gz1yjusae4drjj/hasty mp.mp3?dl=0

It is missing something,I really need a helping hand..
    greetings,yan

2. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

what do you mean by dynamic? dynamic range?? or the layering of sounds. the mix is a tad strange, but sometimes it is good, the drums aren't that upfront, but that can be by choice, and why do they have always be upfront?

but what do you mean exactly. mastering begins with the mix, in my experience.

i called the mix strange, but it seems like you want it this way. but you asked a question, you don't like it how it sounds now?
    what do you miss, or what doesn't work?

EDIT: a master chain with fabfilter doesn't do any magic. it is the mix, and then the mastering.

i do not master, in the normal sense. i master in the mix, which some people do, but by experts (that want to sell mastering courses, etc..) is disapproved. but mastering in the mix, whatever that means (i know what i am doing...), is great.. the mix must always be master-ready, if you want mastering. a bad mix can't be made good by mastering, only.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Then you have to arrange and mix it more dynamic, with louder and quiter parts. Or what do you exactly mean with dynamic? Also envelope shapers can help to bring out parts if they are new then turn down envelope shaper for example. Good EQing is also important to avoid frequency collisions.

Uwe

• Like Like x 2
  4. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

that are great tips indeed, envelope shapers can do a lot, and eq-ing is important. but in my music a lot of time freq collisions work, but that is my style, but i have a lot of tracks, where freq collisions were a problem. can be solved on many levels, not just eq, panning for example... but eq is the main problemsolver for it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

First of all: thanks for sharing, I enjoyed listening to that. Didn't enjoy all parts but in the overall I think your track is pretty good!

Just because it's made in Maschine doesn't mean zip about the finishing touch of the product.

This is definitely an issue of mixing & mastering. When I listen to that track I hear several parts which have pretty heavy overlap in both volume and frequency. For example at 0:20 your background is almost non-existent because the lead voice sits much more in the front. Not only in volume (amplitude) but also in sound range (frequency). Some EQ'ing can definitely help there.

0:50 there's audible overlap between the lead percussion and the lead singer. IMO it sounds good, but it also has a problem. It sounds much more dynamic than when your track builds up and kicks in with more background in 1:28. So basically your material didn't get fuller, it got dimmer.

1:35 could definitely use some compression and harder EQ'ing to filter out the high and low frequencies for different tracks. Lead vocal is high range, so throw it into a highpass filter and throw all low stuff out. This ensures that your lower ranges (like the background percussion) get more space in the mix. I'd route those through a lowpass filter to give more room to the lead.

In my opinion this is a classic issue where you want to apply a bit more signal processing ('mastering') to boost the end product.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

its hard to answer that unless you give us an idea of what or where exactly are you trying to get to. what is dynamics and what is strange and what is a bad mix is entirely subjective.

[youtube]

;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ohh I forgot to mention my main tool to avoid freq collision: TDR Nova in side chain mode, definitely worth a try and of course m/s eqing/processing can help also

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I enjoyed listening to the track even though it's not a genre I usually like, very minimalistic in a good way.
    I agree with others on the actual problem beeing the mixing, it sounds sort of flat especially in the drop, it's very low energy, generally, in this sort of EDM'ish style you want the drop to be explosive, things seem to be competing for space in the frequency range a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

And another one: use high and lowpass or low/highshelf bit before the drop - and then bamm bring back all freq in the drop, same with envelope shaper like I said - you have to take out energy on some parts if you want to stick some out

10. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

I am verry gratefull for all this advise,i still need to learn alot..Also thanks for listening and for the compliments..
    First i take a look at the freq,to give everything more space,and i must use envelope shapers ,do you best use a plugin for this?
    I am looking for a youtube video to help me,but not easy to find..

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 11:34 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

you have one in maschine called transient master

and what he does with volume, you can do with transients, and high and\or low cut\shelf and all mixed in any way just try it out
    there are a lot of videos about how to make a mix more dynamic

Uwe

P.S. i listened to the song again on a proper stereo and there is some strange phasing stuff going on, thats also softening and covering\muddying everything - every element has some stereo reverb and more going on some widening tools or something - no proper mid
    But the idea is good

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Quasar _-*-_

Quasar _-*-_ New Member

I would be glad to to be able to make a track like this. But I understand your question.

When I listened to this track, I got a certain expectation, what things would happen next and what kind of musical genre it would be, but they didnt happen :) I was waiting for some 16th snare rolls as fills to lead to the next part of the song and at some point a pumping bass drum and sizzling hi hats. To me it sounds somehow like I forgot to turn on my subwoofer.
    So in my opinion, this is not an issue of lack of dynamic, but lack of low and high frequency content and some genre-typical elements.

• Like Like x 1
  13. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

I understand your comment,but i don"t want to make a "heavy" edm track..i know,confusing..and i will try some hihats,thanks for comment,i need always somebody else his opinion..

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM
  14. D-One

Sort of offtopic but not really:
    Does anyone know some sort of collab website where we can upload multi-tracks to allow others to mix our stuff? that would be kind of cool.

• Like Like x 2
  15. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

I think the vocals lack clarity (they sound muffled) and the drums lack punch. It also seems to miss "dynamic elements" (swooshes and rolls, etc), to transition between parts with more energy.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  16. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

It sounds to me that some of your levels need to be adjusted, and you need BETTER and LOUDER DRUMS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

I listen to all your advise,and have added

Hi hats
    Did a lot of EQ give the vocal more space..
    high-pass filter
    some rolls
    Transient Master
    Noise Burst
    LOUDER DRUMS!
    AND Totaly different BASS

So did it with my headphone,can not use my speakers for the moment..
    Give me your thoughts..Maybe i messed whole the track up :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60jqartz9fbpgsy/Hastie 2019 new bass.wav?dl=0

18. D-One

Giving mixing advice can only be generic unless you point out a reference track to what you're aiming for in terms of the overall style, name a commercially released track example that you like the sound of... Otherwise, people might point you to all sorts of different directions.

Things like adding hit-hats or switching the bass are production-oriented tips rather than mixing tips, highly subjective.
    I think it sounds better but it's still a bit far from clean. The kick has no bass presence, it's drowned in the drop by everything else, the vocals are taking a bit too much space, is the snare hi-passed? It's missing some bottom end. Why does the noise at 2:26 in the 1 end abruptly? It could use a gigantic reverb :D white-noise-crashes usually do in House/EMD'ish genres... This sort of style usually has a lot of pumping too, sidechain basically, not sure if you into that since some folks love it while others hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

https://www.dropbox.com/s/levtfdlhnqhabz2/Hastie 2019 bass mono version.wav?dl=0
    i made a quick "master" just made tha bass mono and i bit of this and a bit of that
    but more important is the difference in bass, it tells me that there is still some phasing stuff going on, i can also see it in the goniometer - what fx do you have on the master channel?
    But voice and everything sounds better in this mix

Uwe

20. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

In my master channel just EQ fabfilter pro c,Pro L
    I duplicated the bass x3,maybe thats is the problem.

I never use Mono,is this needed in a track?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 10:22 PM