Why is my music not so dynamic like the Music from a Pro artist

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by janvdc, Nov 9, 2019.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That is the same as increasing the volume 3x, generally not a good idea unless you want to do some parallel processing or something...

2. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

Hi;I lke the sound of the Chainsmokers,like the track Paris.This track is so clean!
    I use always sidechain,but maybe not enough.
    The snare is not hi-passed
    Quote "The kick has no bass presence"can you explain further?
    thanks,yan

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Maybe you have fab filter in stereo mode/ms mode or something and only affecting one side or boosting side signal, have you a-b heard my and your version? That's a huge difference,

Uwe

4. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

The problem with compression in m/s mode with one setting for both is that it compresses mid but just raise mostly volume of the side signal wich is normally lower then mid signal. Then you get this effect - just use it in stereo mode until you exactly know what you are doing.

Uwe

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I always make the bass mono to avoid phasing issues, you can easily do it with a m/s EQ and you high pass the side signal.

Uwe

7. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Asking this question is an important milestone in becoming a music producer. It means you're starting to listen critically and notice the details. There's no easy answer — this is the beginning of a long journey — but you are on the right track.

• Like Like x 3
  8. D-One

If that's the style you're going for than the vocals are ok imo.
    Listen to the 'Paris' kick and notice how it has a lot more bass to it.

A cool thing about these popular EDM Groups/producers is that they do a lot of remix contests, this means there are tons of multitrack or stems out there of their songs, I suggest you download em all and study them, compare individual instruments to yours, here's a link for a bunch of their songs stems. I wish I had stems from my fav producers tracks... it's a great way to learn.

Just keep in mind this sort of artist generally have top-level audio engineers, it's a lot of folks working on the tracks so it's not easy to achieve their 'sound quality' on a one-man-only operation but dont let it discourage you.
    For sure. Often folks are really sensitive about their music and take critiques (even if constructive) as an offense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Its *your* art. You should listen to yourself and your own advice. Don't rely on other peoples ideas of what they think *your* art should sound like.

10. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Regardless of any mixing/ mastering issues IMHO I think the 'dynamic' isn't there in the actual arrangement. Up to around 1:40 whilst it sounds like an extended intro it does sound focused and moving in a solid direction that afterwards dissipates and doesn't to me seem to know what it wants to do with itself. It always feels like it's going to get into a 'groove' or a more forceful rhythm that never comes so it always feels like it's waiting for something more to happen that never does. Sorry if I'm missing your intention on saying this. I certainly think it's got a lot of potential in there.

11. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

https://mix-challenge.com/

I believe they are always looking for tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

You are correct,i Worked on the track this night and messed it all up,so start over today..he he,sometimes this happens..

13. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

Thanks,i take a look ,never heard of it..

14. D-One

That's very poetic... It can at times be true if the Musician is experienced and very knowledgable but if one takes that to heart then how do you learn and improve? Maybe that applies to a self-taught genius who never needed teachers, tutorials or advice but most people learn from others... Especially when you're trying to achieve a specific sound and aren't able to get there by yourself at your current level.

If someone gives me advice I listen, test it for myself and try to assess if it's good advice or not, this goes for advice in a forum, a random opinion, a tutorial or a music teacher telling me something.
    It happens a lot. A piece of common advice I often see from guys who mix and arrange professionally is to save a bunch of project versions.

I agree with tempsperdu about the structure, the song has an uncommon arrangement, a long softer intro and only one drop/hook/chorus followed by another immediately after... this can be cool and fall on the "it's your art" category but there's a reason the common song structure has a bunch of drops/hooks (this varies depending on genre of course). Consider whos your target audience, for example, if your aiming for a pop dancefloor/club song than it's important to follow quite a few standards, if you dont care about that and have an artistic vision then do whatever you like, sometimes songs can stand out for being unique and quirky.

Heres an example, "Look at me" by XXXtentation is completely distorted, in most people's eyes it's "wrong" and overall has a terrible mix but it made his career and racked up 320 million views.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  15. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

I think advice is good. But my point was, the actual end result, the song, is your artist statement and you put your name to it. So you take full credit and blame for what listeners like or don't like about it. take the technical advice, but ultimately guide the end result with your own decisions and learn from them if you have to. its like painting and mixing colors. you take technical advice on which paint brand to buy and which colors to mix how much -- but the way to assemble and use those colors on canvas is your own thing.

• Like Like x 2
  16. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

18. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I think it's better but to me it still sounds like it wants to be a dance track but can't quite push itself away from the wall it's leaning on trying to make up it's mind if can really be bothered. I don't understand why after the 'intro' it starts to get going to fizzle out somewhat for no apparent reason before half heartedly starting to get going again and just when you think it finally might find itself, it's over. But then I want nearly eveything to be a dance track.....................;)

19. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

True - but maybe it's intentional, I like the idea of having something and you know everyone is expecting a 4/4 bass drum and so on but............ no I don't give it to you, take it as it is or go away, I don't have to please you in a way you expect.
    Woukd be my interpretation but of course it's maybe totally rubbish and the beat is just missing??

Uwe

20. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

this is what i thought. Your main elements (bass/kick/snare) don't pack enough punch and don't hit hard at all. you need heavier transients (transient master), more EQ boosting in certain ranges in your kicks, and also more EQ'ing in your bass. also more side chaining instruments to these elements to make them pop out more.