Why is the vokator discountinued?

Discussion in 'VOKATOR' started by NIMichi, Jan 27, 2012.

1. NIMichi

NIMichi NI Product Owner

Why is it not available anymore?
    Why they dont sell it?

2. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Wasn't important enough to keep working on.

3. NIMichi

NIMichi NI Product Owner

It is more important to create a effect like "the mouth"?

4. nielsdolieslager

Sure, the "Vokator" market was saturated. If you make something new you have sales again. To keep a product up to date that won't sell is less profitable :p
    NI is known for leaving a trail of great abandoned software (also B4II, Pro53, Spektral Delay, the Kore line etc) and offering something slightly different in its place instead of upgrading it. I would have liked it if they had just made the Vokator, Pro53 and Spektral Delay presets and possibilities available in Reaktor, the B4II presets in Vintage Organs and the Kore line in Maschine, but they won't. Lost sounds and effects, it's a shame.

5. NIMichi

NIMichi NI Product Owner

But there is also the possibility to let the old products to be available. In this case we have the chance to buy them.
    There are not many software vocoders out there...

6. jondl_2000

jondl_2000 NI Product Owner

Yes, but if the products is still available then support has to be maintained too, i.e. tech support - in the form of support tickets which requires man hours and that costs money which may or may not be realized in future sales.

I'm not a developer, but I know enough to imagine the deprecated product line probably has a substantial difference from the base code the current product line is based upon. The discontinued products probably no longer generated sufficient returns to dedicate the man hours necessary to bring them up to spec. That said, all the above still work as expected on my late-2011 MBP with Lion so they must have done something right to begin with ;-)

7. nielsdolieslager

Exactly. And keeping the quality of these products on par with recent products will make possible buyers of new products stick to the products they bought 6 years ago.

It all boils down to customer friendliness versus sales. It looks like you're new here but NI really fails in the first part, I bought Komplete 7 and Kore 2 end of 2010 and I can't buy any expansions anymore, they made Kontakt instruments incompatible with my version of Kontakt and they made Komplete 8 incompatible with Kore 2. Meaning they dropped me as a customer within one year. Just a heads up, software doesn't last long with NI. They discontinued Kore 2 after 4 years. Maschine is already 3 years old...

8. jondl_2000

jondl_2000 NI Product Owner

I opted out of the Komplete 7 update last summer during the half off sales promotion, but recenlty thought better of it and scored a deal on some old, new stock from an etailer on eBay at a nice discount. Everything is working on Lion.

I'm grateful NI responded to the user requests and brought back the Kore Soundpacks for a limited time - and the three free coupons were very welcome. I do wish they were still available for purchase though - I'd probably buy at least one, or two, more. Once Kore was discontinued their shelf life was of a limited duration regardless.

Kore2 is working fine with the 64-bit update and they did respond to the user requests to override the internal engines, but I know some of the power users would have like to see some features implemented / cleaned-up prior to the discontinuation.

The Kontakt library thing is a little baffling, but not to be unexpected considering the significant version updates, not point updates, have always messed with the backwards compatibility. That said - I'm running Kontakt Player 5 alongside Kontakt 4 with no obvious ill effects. Haven't determined when I will upgrade - probably next summer

9. nielsdolieslager

The Kore packs disappeared because every sold pack would mean two more years of warranty and support :)
    And they should have made Kore capable of reading the new formats, Kore was sold as the one and only integrated browser to Komplete. NI changed specifications during the warranty.

10. oscardvine

oscardvine Forum Member

I don't support illegal pirate software, and all my software is legit, but for those who were smart enough to not threw all their money at kore soundpacks, i'm glad it's out in the dark places of the net. NI screwed the kore users over, and made it very clear they don't care about us, and still don't. So sad that they make so good products, but really fails in treating a customer. I've spent more money on NI then on any other software company (about $4000 in total) that should at least give me two months of developing features i want in kore, or at least keep selling it (and give it their focus)
    I own maschine as well, but the browsing IS REALLY REALLY BAD if you are used to Kore browsing. I mean, why can't i choose timbre in massive anymore? is it more important to be able to choose if it's a temposynced sound? IDIOTIC! //Angry LOYAL customer

• Like Like x 1
  11. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

I still have Vokator from Komplete 4. Or was that Komplete 2? Wow, it's been a long time, but I always keep it installed and I occasionally fire it up.

But if you can't find a license, then KVR has a lengthy list of vocoder plugins that you might check out. It's been years and NI has let Vocator get long in the tooth anyhow. Yet another instrument that Native Instruments has allowed to wither on the vine, and it's a shame.

This is just a guess but I think now if you have Komplete 8 "The Mouth" and Reaktor, then you probably have most everything that Vokator did.

I sympathise with your anger, and no doubt many others will too. But there are many options available now.

12. NIMichi

NIMichi NI Product Owner

I understand your anger and I'm so.
    I had different problems with my komplete 8.(different bugs, saving problems)
    I contact the customer support with email and get response after 5 weeks (!)
    They answered short:"Please try to reinstall"
    So I send them a letter with a video about the bugs and a description. No answer until now, it is 7 weeks ago...

13. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I don't think there is anything like Vokator - it's pretty unique in its approach to being a vocoder, instrument and effect (Spectral Delay comes closest)