Why is this forum so bad at preventing spam bots?

Discussion in 'NI Website and Forums' started by Kymeia, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

We seem constantly plagued by the wee beasties. Need to tighten up security.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

bah!! Sort this crap out NI

3. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

We're testing with different Captcha's to detect bot registrations.
    I've implemented Google's one this morning, fingers crossed.

4. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Good - I think maybe it would also help to implement some kind of block on rapid fire posting - some of these are posting at a rate of a post every few minutes. At least on new posters perhaps?

Some fora also implement cooling off periods where the first few posts need mod approval - that would probably filter out most of them.

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

6. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Obviously, this is not working. A simple solution would be just to limit postings at a rate of one every minute or two and automatically flag up high volume posts in a short space of time for new posters (there could also be some sort of posting honeymoon period where new accounts are monitored for good/bad behaviour and not able to do things like post URLs or make more than a few posts per hour to start with)

7. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

I was wondering why no one ever mentioned them. Sometimes I have to scroll through two or three pages just to get to a legitimate post.

8. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

You can send a report at NI forum to delete spam pages

9. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I do when I come across them but this seems a regular occurrence and should be more preventable

10. Mick @ NI

Going on a really tight anti-spam measures resulted in actual users not being able to sign up to the forum, and then having to contact our Support Team.

And unfortunately the forum software is rather limited when it comes to setting specific posting rules for certain usergroups. Thats why we have decided to accept some spam, versus having false positives. Spam is easily removed, it takes admins/mods just a few clicks to remove all the spam from a certain user.

I just played around with some settings, which should hopefully limit the number of new threads a user can post per day. And excluded certain user groups from this rule. Let's see how this goes :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

It's already the case for me. Second post needs to wait 1 mn minimum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Rather than that, there should probably be a time limit between creating new threads. Maybe even posts?

13. Simchris

Simchris NI Product Owner

Yeah. Maybe add a filter for words
    university and diploma
    to put those posts on hold.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Last week I must of reported about 10 new users a day for spamming the forum, I was actually getting quite good at spotting them from the , user online now list on the main page , I didn’t need to go through the forum posts, I could spot them even before they started posting . I noticed they would normally start at around 12.30 am uk time and the user names and locations had similar patterns as did the posts.

There hasn’t been any for a few days now , so I don’t know if anything changed on the forum or if they gave up and moved on .
    The best way to deal with them tho is to report ,then ignore so you don’t see their posts anymore, and they will be gone by morning :thumbsup:
    Only annoying thing is I have to wait 90 secs before I can report another user after I’ve reported a user.

15. Mick @ NI

I set it so, that I have to approve every new user registration by hand. This of course isn't 100% secure either, and requires a bunch more work, but for now it seems to go okay.

We did this in the past too, but then saw an influx in people contacting support, because a person who registers for an account, cant post until their account is activated.

• Like Like x 2