Why not give away this while you dont wanna support it any longer?

Discussion in 'INTAKT' started by Jacobi, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacobi

Jacobi NI Product Owner

Im a satisfied user since Komplete2 and I wonder, while I see Komplete 3,4,5.... that some of your old great plugs (VST/VSTis) has died a silent death.

One thing thing is that you don´t want to support these old releases, another thing is the fact (besides they´re are fantastic) let them vanish just like that!

I´ve seen comanies like E-MU and Propellerheads give discontinniued products away for free.

Just a suggestion. Do the same thing with the products you don´t feel has major interest and make some free attention to the general great work you´re doing already - get more people interested in your products!

-Intakt could be released (free) with some of the original 4 CD contense - limited of cause!

-Kompakt the same as Intakt!

Vokator complete!
    Spectral Delay Complete!

Just some suggestions.

Kind regards
    Jacobi

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

With Intakt and Kompakt, the reason why's probably the same reason why they stopped developing them- they don't run as plugins on an IntelMac, and running them under Rosetta as a standalone's too much of a resource drain. Would it be fair to the Mac users? No.

Spektral Delay and Vokator by themselves never had the popularity that the other NI apps did- maybe due to the fact that a lot of people don't understad FFT. Does this mean that they should just give it away? What makes you think that people would want it then, if they weren't willing to invest in it before?

ew

3. Jacobi

Jacobi NI Product Owner

hmm... should the argument about IntelMac not being able to use these applications be the reason not making them free? And keep Windows-People from having the benifit of this? Both E-MU and Propellerheads has released their old discontinniued with the limit that says: We dont support future OS-platforms! NI could do the exact same.

Regards
    Jacobi

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

IntelMacs aren't future platforms though; they've been around for a couple years.

ew

5. Jacobi

Jacobi NI Product Owner

ok!
    I give up! Good stuff that probably could give you more costumers will not be released as free stuff because Mac-ppl cant use this:

(IntelMacs aren't future platforms though; they've been around for a couple years.)

Im afraid Im loosing respect for this forum, the suggestions I unfortunatly gave out here seems to be completly misplaced etc.

I give up! ;-)

Moderators should prolly be selected more carefully in the future ;-)

Regards

Jacobi

6. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Well, is it fair? No. Don't you think as long as NI makes cross-platform apps, that it would make sense to have an even field?
    If you look at the Intakt and Kompakt manuals, you'll see that most of the content is licensed from a third party. NI can't legally distribute as you're talking about without their consent.
    And what do you mean by that?

ew

7. iaminsane

iaminsane Forum Member

if it's worth anything to you EW, I think you have the patience of a saint considering how much effort you put into this forum. You also seem to have an endless supply of knowledge of, and insight into NI products.

thanks

8. Jacobi

Jacobi NI Product Owner

Ok ew. Forget it!

I was just a bit angry because I thought you were trying to avoid giving me a good reason/argument.

I´ve got that now.

And sorry for my stupid comment in my last post.

Kind regards

Jacobi

9. stefani

stefani NI Product Owner

Free it up!

Yes, please give away the Windows versions of Vokator and Spektral Delay as freeware or very cheap without support, as Waldorf have done with Dpole and Wave 2.V...

I don't hear Mac users complain that there isn't a Windows XP version of ProTools Free ;-)

Anyway, they could always run Boot Camp :eek:)

One free version of Spektral Delay and Vokator would be better than nothing - I think this software is great and would even love to be able to buy it for less than 50 Euro.

What about releasing a free / cheap version of each for education users (mostly Windows anyway) and poor students?

10. Fragletrollet

Fragletrollet NI Product Owner

I also think this would be a good idea... any promotion is good promotion. no? Alot more people would have a relationship with NI if there sre some freebies around ;)

And me, as a Komplete owner, am not really komplete just yet it seems?
    :p

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I don't think they could even if they wanted to. One reason they dropped them was due to licensing issues afaik as the person who developed them no longer works for NI.

12. SigmaF

SigmaF NI Product Owner

This was a point similar to one I raised in another thread. My main argument for giving away the software is that, either way, NI are no loner financially benefiting from these products.

Even if the products are/were unpopular, it would be nice for the few who would like it to have it. It could even be sold for $50 in the online store as download only. If there is not too much effort that needs to be put in to do this, I don't see the harm.

Alternatively, you could get Reaktor and download the Ez FFT modules and make something not dissimilar to Vokator quite easily (also, you would get other cool stuff).

This makes sense.
    I wonder how the Watchmen case is doing...

13. MartinHines

MartinHines NI Product Owner

One problem with giving away software is support and the inevitable complaints surrounding no support.

Even if NI put a BIG warning sign "this product is NOT supported, use at your own risk" there would be people who would complain about not being able to get the product to work correctly. Also, Mac users would complain.

While it would be nice to see free software, don't hold your breath.

14. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

I'm adding a vote for Spektral Delay, which I really liked. Dunno about the licensing thing....

15. Statikov

Statikov NI Product Owner

Interesting. I've called a couple of companies asking if I could buy their previous versions at some kind of discounted price, but no luck.
    I mean, the previous versions of their new latest and greatest worked then and will still work now. Just some people can't afford the newest prices. And someone like me would like to have the software, but may only be more of a dabbler insted of a heavy user.
    (Its har enough figuring out how one piece of software works...let alone many) *grin*

I think software companies should do this. Its not like its a manufactured physical product. But they probably think it would take away sales of the newest product.

16. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx New Member

Maybe the old products won't even run anymore on todays off the shelf computers. I got a creamware noah for a good price on ebay (excellent machine, except that it crashes once in a while) and I had a hell of time make it work on my Vista based environment. Without a second computer running XP, I would have been able to rescue it. And now Win7 is comming. No wonder the software companies want to get rid of their old stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.