1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Why the Z1? We have been wanting the Z4 since the Z2 was released

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by rrutter81, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

x1 and f1 had a purpose... z1 is..... gimmicky and there a ton of tiny controllers on the market already. Just check the Toys R Us in the DJ Hero lane.

2. kieranbowley

kieranbowley Forum Member

This is mainly for use with the iPad, its a bonus that you can use it with a full blown Traktor also.

Great product, means I can rock up to a mates house for a party with this and an iPad and mix with pretty much a full setup.

Don't see the reason for all the negativity towards this product. You don't have to buy it :lol:

3. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

The negativity is toward a niche market. For one, I dont see this selling except to NI fanboys... not real djs.

Also for the price you might as well pick up an s2.

ALSO.... this isnt innovation. You can do the same with Vestax micro 5 mini, or the numark m1. These products are available.

The only product that seems to be exactly what will kick the s4/z2 is the Numark NS7-II and NI still hasnt come up with a decent response.

I think i echo a bunch of dj's sentiments that we have been waiting over a year for a Z4 and out pops this little thing....how cute.

4. Stazbumpa

Stazbumpa NI Product Owner

wat?

Real DJs play other peoples music, the what and the how is irrelevant.

Personally I think it's a groovy little item that will sit well with more than a few DJs doing house parties or smaller pro gigs but without the luxury of space in what passes for their DJ booth.

5. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

lol wut?

your in the minority. Check all the "we want a z4" threads. Check all the youtube videos. I'm not exactly seeing everyone looking at the z1 and going "FINALLY THE PERFECT CONTROLLER FOR ME"

niche market....

6. jiggle

jiggle Forum Member

I think it looks nice, but I expected a Z4 first, that would be more useful. If I had a newer ipad i expect Id want one :)

7. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

I think the "bedroom dj/hobbyist" market is a lot bigger than the "pro club" market. NI would be foolish not to exploit this particular area, especially after the release and raging success of Traktor DJ.

As long as the build quality is good, I see no reason people couldn't play out with this. As an owner of Traktor Pro, Traktor DJ and the X1, I think this is nice bit of kit and will allow me to get rid of my crappy little two channel mixer.

8. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

so you will be trading your crappy two channel mixer with a brand new tiny 2 channel mixer.

Why not fork over the extra 100 bucks and get an s2? You get a TON more options.

These products have been on the market already. NI was good at innovating, not pandering. Also, the average user uses a touch device for 72 seconds before setting it down and resuming with whatever it is they are doing.

To idolize it as the new iphone is making me chuckle. No revolution here fellas... been out on the market for a while now. It just has NI's name on it this time.

9. puzzlefactory

Eh? The S2 is €499 and the Z1 is €199.

10. 73*

73* Forum Member

I just pre-ordered one. Why? Because I quit DJing ~10 years ago and this (along with an X1 & Machine) will provide me with just what I need to use traktor as a creative studio tool. I currently have a Pioneer DDJ-T1, which is overkill and too heavily tied to the turntable paradigm (for my uses).

As a qualifier: It was because of Traktor DJ that I decided to revisit the creative possibilities that come out of DJing. If in the future I find myself leaving the studio to DJ/Perform I'd probably do it with a more robust mixer/setup (one capable of external FX sends and inserts).

11. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

s2s are littering ebay for 300 bucks... some only used once, others still in the box.
    ---
    The whole point is that you can find threads upon threads of people wanting a z4.

You could have gotten a tiny 2 channel mixer that works with traktor years ago. Saying that THIS was the epitome of mixers for you is just feeding in to that niche.

12. kieranbowley

Your missing the point, you can't use the S4/S2! This is designed to be a tool for those using Traktor DJ. With the added bonus of also being compatible with Traktor Pro.

So your whole argument is flawed.

13. puzzlefactory

Yes it is filling a niche. Not everyone wants a big club mixer in their bedroom. Some people want a little mixer controller/audio interface that they can sling in their bag with their iPad and play at a mates party or a local bar. Some people only want to spend a couple of hundred pounds instead of over a grand (which something like a Z4 will undoubtably cost).

14. rrutter81

rrutter81 Forum Member

I think your not understanding the point at all. You even stated if you were really gigging you would take something more professional.

I dont see someone actually using this product short of "fiddle time" or showing a friend to play with for a bit. I personally dont care what the use is. I just wouldnt buy a $200 piece of hardware when the whole point of a touch device is all in one controls on the device itself. Its like how windows 8 tried to merge touch screen controls with a mouse and failed miserably.

(yes i know, you probably love windows 8 too)

Anyway, I say enjoy.... im highly disappointed as are the 100s of other threads asking for a z4 over a year ago. Even the youtube comments are echoing my sentiments. Just plain laughable.
    ---
    np, that option has been on the table for years. Plenty of children and learning dj mixers out there.

15. kieranbowley

No I didn't say that. Check again that was someone else.

Facts, get them right.

16. puzzlefactory

Yeah so? There are plenty of club mixers on the market too. Does that mean no one should make any more of those either? Again, what's the bigger market? Bedroom djs or club djs? Seriously, what do you think the ratio is in the Traktor market?

Edit: the option to control Traktor DJ and offer an audio interface hasn't been on the market for years.

17. hyjax

hyjax NI Product Owner

While I too would have liked to see a Z4 (not that I could currently afforded it, but my current four channel needs to be replaced), I don't think this is bad at all. Alone it may be too basic, but I have 2 F1s and an X1 so I'm looking at this is that last piece of a modular set up. S2/S4 are not for me - no interest in jog wheels so would rather have something without.

18. Abebe

Abebe NI Product Owner

I like to buy it to replace my audio 2 but yet no specifications are posted on NI website.

19. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

This will sell shedloads, and because it's nothing like the OP's 'Z4', will have precisely no effect on whether a 'Z4' is released. NI have many fingers in many pies.

20. kieranbowley

Yeah I normally take my Laptop, Audio2, Mixer and an X1 to small gatherings and small parties. If I can now just take my iPad and a Z1 then huge win all round.

Laptop, Z1 and X1 would also now make massive difference to how quick and easy it is to rock a house party.

Well done NI!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.