1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Will my macbook handle Komplete 11 and Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by juxtpose, Jan 29, 2018.

1. juxtpose

juxtpose New Member

Hello, I have some questions before I buy Komplete 11 Ultimate Upgrade. I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13'' 8gb HD, 121 gb flash storage. I have been using Logic Pro X on this computer for a couple years, and have only 5 gigs of flash storage left due to the sound library mostly.

Will I be able to run Komplete 11 Ultimate Upgrade via external HDD (USB 3.0) without running out of space? I am not very tech savvy, and have tried to find answers to this but am getting mixed messages.

Also, I have found someone that says that I can move Logic Pro to an external HD by using some downloaded program called "SymbolicLinker". Has anyone heard of this, and if so, is it safe?

Thanks to anyone that can answer any of my questions.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Same laptop as me, everything works fine for me, no issues. You will need quite a bit of free space on your internal HD to install Komplete (around 30GB) each product temporarily goes thru internal HD before being installed on the External HD.

Nop, dont do it. Running a heavy application from an external HD is a bad ideia. You wont save much space by doing so, Logic is only 2GB. You could however move any big Logic libraries you might have to the exernal HD.

3. juxtpose

juxtpose New Member

Thanks for the response! I just freed up over 20 GB using symbolic linker, moving the Apple loops, Logic and Garageband libraries to an external. Now hopefully I will have no problem installing Komplete (now I have 30 GB total free).

4. juxtpose

juxtpose New Member

I bought Komplete 11 Ultimate, and I am having one heck of a time trying to get the Emotive Strings, Session Horns, Contact Factory Library, and Session Strings to install on my external HD. Even though the advertised system requirement is up to 15GB according to my product box, I get error messages saying that I need around 40GB of disk space to install.

I have even jumped through hoops to get direct download links (the customer service representative, Rocky, supplied me with) did not make any difference in required temporary disk space.

Rocky finally said, after about a month of back and forth emails, that "You really should make more space available on your system drive, so that this will not be an issue. Please contact Apple Support, so that they may assist you to safely make more space available on your main system drive: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232"

I find this totally unacceptable, I paid over $1000 for Komplete Ultimate 11. I have almost double the advertised system requirements for disk space. And yet I am getting the run around, and am not able to access the 4 largest programs.

Do you have any recommendations as to how I should proceed?
    Thanks

5. solger

solger NI Product Owner

6. D-One

That might help but it certainly won't clear up the 100Gb needed... Also, any sort of "Clean My Mac" application should be avoided like the devil.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  7. solger

solger NI Product Owner

Yeah, I'll second that.

The link in my previous post was mainly meant as example (which also mentions a manual procedure at the bottom of the article).
    This is the link which I couldn't find earlier: https://www.jackenhack.com/mac-os-purgeable-remove-clear-space/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  8. D-One

Oh, I just noticed you're trying to install on an external HD already but the problem is you don't have enough space on the internal HD to perform the install. I don't want to sound rude but I warned you.

You asked:
    And i replied:
    My advice: Move whatever is filling your internal HD to the external HD temporarily to free the necessary space, install Komplete with the libs on the external HD, after the install move back the files you temporarily moved. Done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. coopercecil

coopercecil New Member

Can someone please explain what can be used on annexternal hard drive? I first have to download komplete 11 to the computer hard drive,then I can transfer to an external drive? Will I be able to use this in a live situation? I guess my question is, it’s not recommended to use Logic from an external, but it’s ok to run komplete? Please elaborate. Sorry , I hope this is still on topic.

10. D-One

The applications and plugins should always be on the internal drive but the libraries (which is actually what requires more disk space) can be on a external drive.
    Yes this can be used live, a USB3 HD is recommended.

11. hindermath

hindermath NI Product Owner

See my footer for my equipment. I Have also a little internal disk. So you can tell Native Access that your download temp directory and your store location for your Komplete 11 Ultimate content is on the same external disk. so you don't run out of space while downloading an installing this big thing.:) Runs very well in my environment and in my installing process of the Ultimate edition!

12. coopercecil

coopercecil New Member

so, the 400 gb needed to download whole komplete can be on an external drive and it only needs 50gb RAM for the program?

13. hindermath

hindermath NI Product Owner

Look for the requirements on the NI page https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-11-ultimate/specifications/
    Mac OS X 10.11, macOS 10.12 or 10.13 (latest update), i5

Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (latest Service Pack)

Graphics hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 or higher

4 GB RAM (6 GB recommended for large KONTAKT Instruments)
    15 GB free disk space (363 GB for complete installation).

This works with my MacBook (Mid 2010) with 4GB RAM very well. In Native Access Point the download and install path to your external HDD. Ok, I could only work on little projects with Logic and Komplete 11 Ultimate Instruments - but it works!

• Like Like x 1