Will there be a hardware-only version or not?

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by popoff44, Mar 15, 2012.

1. scamo

scamo Administrator Staff Member

Had NI said the F1 with the software would cost 300 and I could buy the F1 for 249 without the software, you are right, I wouldn't have wasted my time in this thread (it would have never been started to begin with). Why? Because that packaging gives us the right choices as current NI customers. Whether or not I am happy paying 249 for the F1 is a totally different story.

@H3PO4 - good post.

scamo

2. jbfuller

jbfuller NI Product Owner

I love how you compare NI to Apple and then knock Apple. Yea, Apple stinks, what a dumb company, they're practially bankrupt these days with their stupid business practices!

3. scamo

Who is knocking Apple? I am certainly not and you should read up on their financial status, before you say things that simply aren't true. Apple is one of the most financially sound companies in the US currently. The last quarter they had $33 billion in free cash flow and they are the #2 company in overall market cap value worth $364 billion.

Apple is far, far away from being bankrupt.

scamo

4. kraal

kraal NI Product Owner

he was being sacastic saying apple was bankrupt

5. scamo

Ah, now that you say that, I see the sarcasm too. Then never mind.

But still, I personally wasn't knocking Apple. On the contrary, if you take the parallels NI has to Apple, the strength NI has is in their platform Traktor. They also have a right to build hardware that is perfectly intertwined with that platform and I would actually expect it too. However, the basis of the Traktor platform was also Midi control over the software. The growth of the number of mappings and the actions being taken over the web (i.e. DJTT.com's new Mapping database and Traktorbible's database) and the fact a lot of new controllers where brought out to run with Traktor via midi shows the platform works. Now NI have basically said, "we aren't supporting this platform anymore." At least that is the direction, which is being interpreted from this post.

It is the same as if Apple had said, "We aren't going to support iOS development anymore and want to produce any new apps all by ourselves." That wouldn't go over well with the iPhone and iPad app developers or the customers either, would it?

scamo

6. shadow23

shadow23 NI Product Owner

Sorry to open this old thread up people. I just bought my F1 yesterday and I am not bothered with the price. I bought mine for $289.00AUD. I think that's a good price with or without Traktor 2.5 because the X1 is still selling here for around $269.00AUD and you only get LE. Nevertheless if the F1 didn't come with 2.5 I would still buy it because I remember when I bought my first X1 I also paid $289.00AUD.

Anyway I'm very happy with my purchase.

7. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Just bought yesterday.....ooooh be sure to read the manual and watch the instructional videos. If you dont you are weeks away form using it to potential.
    Pay close attention to bpms for samples you make for good remix sets. Keylock is very very hungry. The next update is said to combat this.

yeah I agree (kinda bias since I grabbed mine up as soon as it was available)
    that the price is nothing compared to all the work you would have to do to get any other midi controller even close to working the way the f1 does.

One last tip be sure to learn how to adjust gain with the faders for individual samples. This will keep your sound nice and even. You dont want to touch the one LOUD button. that never fun.

Mainly just focus on learning to edit and make sets directly from the f1 that skill will give you the full use.

8. shadow23

Thanks Zephry. I had a quick play on it at home the day I bought it and I quite like it. I will take your advice and read, watch and do more digging on how to get the most out of this suckers.

Just a quick question though if you don't mind. Would you get rid of the X1 if you had one (or two) and just keep the F1?

9. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Might as well keep it maybe even use it to map some quick settings or effects to use with the remix decks ar any workflow hinderance you find.

10. shadow23

Cool, thanks Zephry.