1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Will Traktor Pro 3 run better on my Laptop than Pro 2?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by RB75, Oct 18, 2018.

1. RB75

RB75 NI Product Owner

Currently using TP 2.6.8 and seem to be constantly in the red for CPU overload.

Newer versions are worse, this is found to be the best and most stable.

Obviously this causes some audio glitch outs, along with other issues.

Tried to find the source of the issue by following several guides but to no avail.

Wondering if an upgrade to 3 will ease the strain on my laptop.

Any thoughts and opinions to solve the issues welcomed.

Using scratch control vinyl, with Z2. See below for PC specs
    Laptop spec.png

2. DJBite

DJBite New Member

I have basically the same specs on my Dell laptop (using a Z2 and 2 turntables), and it works fine, with almost no CPU load en without any drops. Make sure you have your wifi / bluetooth turned off (preferably via a hardware option like a button), this causes the most load and drop issues. And perhaps check how it performs if you completely kill all anti virus /fire wall software. I recommend this only for testing, since you want to make sure your laptop is protected. But this way you can also rule that one out. Just in case that is the culprit, I use Norton Security and have no problem with that either. I hope it helps.

3. McAnix

McAnix New Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. RB75

RB75 NI Product Owner

Well thanks for the replies peeps!
    I tried a load of audio optimisation years ago and it didn't make much difference, including turning off WiFi and Bluetooth. However i followed pretty much every step in the focusright guide and it seems to have the cpu bar right down to next to nothing!!!
    Just gave a quick test this morning but I'll put it through it's paces with my F1 connected and a few loops playing and see how it stacks up under some loads!

But so far so good! Many many thanks again!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

If you're still getting audio glitches, check for the latest chipset, video, and network drivers.

If that doesn't help, increase the ASIO buffer size - which will lower CPU workload, but slightly increase latency.

6. RB75

RB75 NI Product Owner

I'll keep an eye on things at weekend when I can give it a thorough test.

To be honest, if it works with low CPU usage and no glitches and pops, I'm seriously thinking of sticking with TP2. As nice as TP3 is, I don't need the latest shiney at the moment and I'm not bothered about being an early adopter. If I do, I'll let all the bugs get ironed out of TP3 before I take the plunge.

At one point I was so frustrated with the CPU fault, I was even thinking of jumping to Serato!

7. Tom Bones

Tom Bones New Member

Glad to hear your problem is fixed, RB75!

I'm still curious if Traktor Pro 3 does use more CPU than Traktor Pro 2?

I see the requirements for CPU are:
    Intel Core i5 or equivalent CPU, 4GB RAM (Traktor Pro 3) vs Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon 64, 2 GB RAM (Traktor 2)

Did anyone notice a difference after upgrading?

8. McAnix

McAnix New Member

As far as I can make out, you will only get more CPU load when using key lock and changing the tempo, the bigger the tempo change the more CPU needed. This is of course due to Traktor using Zplane's algorithms.

9. Tom Bones

Tom Bones New Member

Makes sense, thanks. Any idea by how much more % wise the CPU is used more in this case in Traktor 3?

10. McAnix

McAnix New Member

% wise, I really can't tell, this video might give a rough idea but we don't know this guys specs or buffer settings. Apologies, I hardly use key lock but I can say on my i7 2012 MB that Traktor's CPU usage looks pretty much the same as T2, there are lots of variables of course. I do remember seeing a video of a guy testing T3's new keylock and his machine did have clicks and pops here and there but that was at really extreme settings, and once again I didn't know what his specs were. Hopefully someone who has more experience can add to this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tom Bones

Tom Bones New Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed info mate!